Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Godfather 

What grade would you give this film?
A 86%  86%  [ 31 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36

The Godfather 
College Boy Z

Post The Godfather
The Godfather

Quote:
The Godfather is a 1972 American gangster-drama film based on the novel of the same name by Mario Puzo and directed by Francis Ford Coppola from a screenplay by Puzo, Coppola, and Robert Towne. It stars Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Richard S. Castellano, Robert Duvall, Sterling Hayden, John Marley, Richard Conte and Diane Keaton, and features John Cazale, Talia Shire, Al Martino, and Abe Vigoda. The story spans ten years from 1945 to 1955 and chronicles the fictional Italian American Corleone crime family. Two sequels followed: The Godfather Part II in 1974, and The Godfather Part III in 1990.

The Godfather received Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Adapted Screenplay, and has been selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry. In addition, it is ranked third, behind Citizen Kane, and Casablanca on the AFI's 100 Years…100 Movies list by the American Film Institute. It was moved up to second when the list was published again, in 2008.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

Yes its great, not the greatest film of all time, but still an A. One thing that puzzles me: How did Brando get recognition and later Oscar as the lead? He does a great job, but his character is not the lead character at all. Micheal/Al Pacino has wayy more screen-time and the story is based around him completley. Brando is shot and in the hospital for an hour and a half, and is retired/dead from natural causes half an hour before it ends. And when he is active hes still not the lead, thats Al Pacino's character all throughout.

EDIT - Saw it again... Pretentious, but still quality. I think I'll give it a B+ for now.

Last edited by Shack on Fri May 19, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:49 am
George A. Romero

The best mobster movie of all time....period

A+

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:35 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

One of the finest films, if not the finest film ever made. I do not see how someone can not respect its merits.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I don't understand how anyone could consider the second one to be better than the first. Both are great, but this was better thanks to James Caan having a great role and character and Marlon Brando forever making his character iconic in cinema.

One of the greatest films ever!

A+

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:42 pm
Star Trek XI

Just watched this yesterday. I loved everything about it. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

The Godfather is the greatest film ever made about organized crime.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

One of the best films of all time, period.

A+

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:15 pm
Profile YIM
Speed Racer

Firewall B
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut C
Waking Life A+

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Too Brilliant for Introductions

A+

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:34 am
Profile WWW
I gave it the D, and i stand by that. I don't think i have ever seen such an overrated movie in my life. I can't even begin to list the ways in which this movie was absolute garbage, so i won't even bother. I just wanted my D not to be some anonymous bad grade. I'll just quickly say one thing, the gun shot wounds in this movie are ridiculously unrealistic. Someone gets shot in the throat, and they choke and grab their throat until shot in the head. Then someone is shot in the eye through glasses and the glass just cracks and blood drips down from the eye wound. I understand it was the 70's but there is a difference between not having the technology to properly show what would happen when shot in the eye, and the film maker just doing something that is pure lunacy to realize his "vision".

Another issue i had with the movie was i wanted every single one of those people dead, except for Diane Keaton's character. I sat there watching the movie and as various characters were killed i was just thinking "good, that's what you get for being in the mob. Am i supposed to care he was killed?". I do have a hatred of the mob/gangs/etc in general, so this movie was pretty much doomed to my hatred.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:30 pm
Draughty

I gave it the D, and i stand by that. I don't think i have ever seen such an overrated movie in my life. I can't even begin to list the ways in which this movie was absolute garbage, so i won't even bother. I just wanted my D not to be some anonymous bad grade. I'll just quickly say one thing, the gun shot wounds in this movie are ridiculously unrealistic. Someone gets shot in the throat, and they choke and grab their throat until shot in the head. Then someone is shot in the eye through glasses and the glass just cracks and blood drips down from the eye wound. I understand it was the 70's but there is a difference between not having the technology to properly show what would happen when shot in the eye, and the film maker just doing something that is pure lunacy to realize his "vision".

Another issue i had with the movie was i wanted every single one of those people dead, except for Diane Keaton's character. I sat there watching the movie and as various characters were killed i was just thinking "good, that's what you get for being in the mob. Am i supposed to care he was killed?". I do have a hatred of the mob/gangs/etc in general, so this movie was pretty much doomed to my hatred.

I admire the film on technical aspects and acting jobs but I agree with the bolded statement above. I couldn't give a crap what happened to them, I hoped they all died.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I actually starting liking the Godfather character and was a little sad when he died.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Just watched the first one for the first time and it was a great movie...Marlon Brando made the "Don" an amazing character, even thought I could not understand what the hell he was saying half the time. But I also think the movie jumped a little fast in some places, like at one point hes like marry me, and then the next scene he has a son thats around 3. Either way great movie, in my top 10.

A+

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

I thought the film was well done, but it is far from my favourite film. I too couldn't give a rat's ass about the characters either. We were supposed to feel for them, but they are all killers in one way or another.

Still 8/10

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I thought the film was well done, but it is far from my favourite film. I too couldn't give a rat's ass about the characters either. We were supposed to feel for them, but they are all killers in one way or another.

Still 8/10

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:00 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

wow, I just watched this film for the first time, it was really intense. Easily one of the best crime movies ever.

A

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:44 pm
Award Winning Bastard

wow, I just watched this film for the first time, it was really intense. Easily one of the best crime movies ever.

A

You'll love Unforgiven and Shawshank, too. If you love them as much as The Godfather, you might want to rent the rest of the films on my list that you haven't seen.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I give it a big grade of "Meh," which means B, based primarily on its iconic scenes and the Brando character. But there didn't seem to be any kind of build-up in the plot. Sure, straight Michael turns into his father, but I couldn't figure it out exactly. Appollonia, maybe? And then a bunch of enemies come out of nowhere very suddenly and die very quickly (Moe). I couldn't figure out why.

Best Actor should have gone to that cat.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Perhaps not the greatest film ever made, but it's certainly deserving of all the accolades. It's simply just classic. Pacino is the real star of the show and should have won the Best Actor, but Brando was the bigger name. Brando is iconic in his role, but it's clearly a supporting turn. There are so many scenes that would rank among the best ever: the opening Godfather scenes, the horse head in bed, the assassination attempt, the restaurant scene, Sonny's death, and, of course, the final montage of murders. The Sicilian scenes drag a bit for me, but everything that takes place in New York is perfect. One of the classics that's not overrated.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Almost unwatchable for me. The most overated film ever, imo.

C

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

well i watched the film just before spiderman 3 and i then found spiderman 3 as one of the worst blockbusters ever.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Very good movie that definitely helped change the industry in its own way. YOu may not like it, but you certainly can't not see that it is a well crafted film from start to finish, throwing many stereotypes on their heads.

I really like this movie, even though it is a very long experience to get through. The acting is top notch. Its one of the few films though that I would say is filmmaking at its finest, and it wouldnt be a favorite of mine. A+ film, but I'd never rank under 100 in my top films.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:29 am
Forum General

i don't know i don't also don't look at the film itself but how its changed the film industry and how it seen by society today.

The film easily is among the most famous of the great classics, as GWTW, Citizen Kane and Casablanca are getting to old, but this film isn't to old yet.

Quote:
Almost unwatchable for me. The most overated film ever, imo.

not enough of zac effron dancing like a little girl, i assume..

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: The Godfather
Best movie ever made? I could live with it. Oh my God is this such a beautiful film and I don't understand why people can possibly give this movie below a B, to me it is unthinkable, but I guess not everyone has good taste in films :wink:

A+

Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next