Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 This Is Spinal Tap 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

This Is Spinal Tap 
College Boy Z

Post This Is Spinal Tap
This Is Spinal Tap

Quote:
This Is Spinal Tap (officially spelled This Is Spın̈al Tap, with a non-functional umlaut over the letter n — n-diaeresis — and a dotless letter i) is an American 1984 rock musical mockumentary directed by Rob Reiner about the fictional heavy metal band Spinal Tap. The film satirizes the wild personal behavior and musical pretensions of hard rock and heavy metal musical bands, as well as the hagiographic tendencies of rock documentaries of the time.

Reiner and the three main stars are credited as the writers of the film, based on the fact that much of the dialogue was ad libbed by them. Several dozen hours of footage were filmed before Reiner edited it to the released film. A 4½ hour bootleg version of the film exists and has been traded among fans and collectors for years.

The three core members of Spinal Tap—David St. Hubbins, Derek Smalls and Nigel Tufnel—are played by the American actors Michael McKean and Harry Shearer, and English-American actor Christopher Guest, respectively. The three actors play their musical instruments and speak with mock English accents throughout the film. Reiner appears as Marty DiBergi, the maker of the documentary. Other actors in the film are Tony Hendra as the group manager Ian Faith and June Chadwick as St. Hubbins' interfering girlfriend Jeanine. Actors Paul Shaffer, Fred Willard, Fran Drescher, Bruno Kirby, Howard Hesseman, Ed Begley, Jr., Patrick Macnee, Anjelica Huston, Vicki Blue, Dana Carvey and Billy Crystal all play supporting roles or make cameo appearances in the film. Scream queen starlets Brinke Stevens and Linnea Quigley appear in cameos as groupies of the band.

In 2002, This Is Spinal Tap was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the Library of Congress and was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:58 pm
College Boy T

Anyways. One of the funniest movies. Gets better with each viewing...

A+

*points to avatar*

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:19 am
Cream of the Crop

The slow decline of Spinal Tap is one of the most entertaining things to watch in movie history.

Plus, I finally know who that guy in Torrino's avatar is.

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What an astonishingly brilliant film this is!

The stroke of genius in the film is two offer us two films in one, specifically, the film as it plays itself out from our viewpoint, and the way it would from the viewpoint of the band. To the band, everything they do is serious; to us, everything is grounds for ridicule. The great disparity between our viewpoint and theirs is the reason why this film is so funny.

Consider, for example, the entire episode with Stonehenge. Before the mini-structure appears on the stage, we are already told and shown how small it is. The band, however, has not seen it before (and that tells us that the manager has not informed them), and their reaction to it once it appears on the stage, when they realize how small it is, is incredibly funny, because at that moment, they and us are on the same level of comprehension, and this in turn makes us (unconciously) aware of how completely in the dark they were beforehand, and just how serious this is to them. (I consider this scene to be one of the funniest I have ever seen!). Similarly, we know that David's girlfriend is a parody of Yoko Ono, and we know where this will lead, in contrast to the characters themselves, to whom this knowledge is not granted (although, considering that the Beatles are referenced, one wonders whether it's their ignorance that makes them be in the dark about the repeat). Thus, we can lay back and enjoy the ridiculousness of it all as it unfolds before us.

Also, just on the album being black, and the satire in general: the film is in large part brilliant because it is so close to the truth; sometimes, so close as to seem wholly authentic. That is because reality has given us bands as bad and far worse than Spinal Tap, whose songs are actually not among the worst I have heard (far from it). In fact, their music is given a sufficient element of authenticity for it to pass as 'real rock'n'roll', and it is only bogged down by occasional (and no doubt intentional) lyrics that deflate it entirely (e.g., the 'cat' line in the Stonehenge song). Also, not only was the White Album an instance of a simply album cover; the Backstreet Boys, you might remember, came out with an album titled "Black and Blue", no doubt in part echoing the Beatles. Well, they might as well have been echoing Spinal Tap. And I daresay that the music contained within the Blackalbum trumps that of the Backstreet Boys'.

Some of the dialogue is absolutely brilliant, but I hardly need to tell you that. But, just for the heck of it:

Quote:
In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people... the Druids. No one knows who they were or what they were doing...

If they are so unknown, then it completely devalues what the band is trying to do in adopting this as their theme. If no one knew what the Druids were doing, what is the logic behind picking them as your theme? Well, there is no logic. So, right from the beginning, the band essentially undermines their whole effort, by telling us that absolutely nothing consequential can be derived from the show's theme. You could say they are trying to be mysterious, but the only mystery is courtesy them picking a the Druids as a theme.

Quote:
Here lies David St. Hubbins... and why not?

The line is brilliant for several reasons, but one thing that's going on here, I think, is that David's addition of "And Why not?" shows him anticipating a response from Marty as to his epitaph. I mean something like this:

"What epitaph would you choose"
"Here lies David St. Hubbins, beloved etc etc"
"Why this epitaph?"
"And why not?"

David is of course promptly asked, and replies by saying that he though of it on the spot, having already exhausted his reply as part of the answer. Heh.

Quote:
"This pretentious ponderous collection of religious rock psalms is enough to prompt the question, 'What day did the Lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?'"

Quote:
The review for "Shark Sandwich" was merely a two word review which simply read "Shit Sandwich".

At the same time as the reviews tells us of their pretentious album, its style and language tells us that reviewers too can be and often are pretentious and as bad as the art they critique. This is satire at its most effective.

There's so much more to talk about, and the film can be analyzed minute by minute ,but I don't have the time. It's just brilliant.

A strong A. Bravo to the filmmakers!

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Mon May 01, 2006 6:30 am
Extraordinary

Though I always find it disturbing when I agree with Libs, this is indeed an all-time comedy classic.

Mon May 01, 2006 7:30 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: This is Spinal Tap
I agree with Magnus... I love the movie, but it's definitley not one of the funniest movies ever, barring a few classics. I was surprised on first viewing at how dramatic it let itself get at points. But I actually credit the film for playing the characters and plotline dead serious, as said in the Tropic Thunder thread, I wish that film had played more to reality with its trailers opening the film.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:16 am

Guys, if you liked this, check Fear of a Black Hat, similar mockumentary, but this time about hip-hop group. While not as good, still quite charming and funny.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:15 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

11!!!

11/10 A+!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:15 pm
loyalfromlondon

I hadn't actually seen this until I caught it on TCM last weekend. I'm glad I did. It's hilarious, of course, but also a lot more clever than I was expecting. It's quite a brilliant send-up of rockumentaries, while also remaining one itself. It's spoofing stuff like Dont Look Back and Gimme Shelter, but not overtly so; it's more of a satire or a parody than a spoof, really.

I didn't really find it got all that dramatic, though. The dramatic turns were mostly played for laughs, I thought. Maybe not gut-busting humour, but still pretty hilarious.

And the music is even awesome!

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:17 pm
Extraordinary

trixster wrote:
I hadn't actually seen this until I caught it on TCM last weekend.

I was in the same situation as trixster - - I hadn't actually seen it until I saw it too...

Anyways, here's the funniest scene, imho:

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:05 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: This Is Spinal Tap
I don't really like this movie. B-

Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: This Is Spinal Tap
Funny, not an all-time classic for me, but nice cast and does a very good job of making fun of the rock scene at the time with some hilarious bits. The Stonehenge part had me completely in tears laughing.

B+

Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]