Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Babylon 

Grade:
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Babylon 
now we know

Post Babylon

Quote:
Babylon is an American epic period comedy-drama film written and directed by Damien Chazelle. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Diego Calva, Jovan Adepo, Li Jun Li, Jean Smart, and Tobey Maguire. It chronicles the rise and fall of multiple characters during Hollywood's transition from silent films to sound films in the late 1920s.

Babylon was released in the United States on December 23, 2022, by Paramount Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:11 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Babylon
The poste doesn't appear

Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:34 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I saw this last month and thought it was electric. It's actually an incredibly fun, entertaining epic with some awe-inspiring setpieces and great performances. The score is also the best of the year. The opening 35-minute party sequence trumps anything in Way of Water in my opinion. Definitely one of the year's best. A

Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:25 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

Once Upon a Time in Tinseltown…

“Do you think people want sound in their pictures?”

Man has massive diarrhea in toilet stall…

Yes. People will want sound in their pictures.

——————————————

What the fuck happened? The first 90-120 minutes are near perfection. A movie made by movie nerds for film nerds (and admittedly, for no one else). Then for 45 minutes it becomes a rehash of Boogie Nights, but in 1932 and Tobey Maguire as Alfred Molina. And then the epilogue remembers it’s a movie about movies and features a montage that separate from the movie I’m sure could blow someone away, but in-movie feels like the hammiest attempt at a Best Picture Oscar since Green Book. The epilogue is kind of pathetic. Come to think of it, it feels like a montage you’d see on the Oscars about the power of “the movies”.

I know countless people have and will compare the movie as cocaine personified, but it’s pretty spot-on. It starts off great. Then it becomes annoying and eventually devolves into a nightmare you just want to escape from.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah the ending felt weird to me (so bizarre to see that Hollywood momtage with the Matrix and Avatar lol)

I was pretty into it for most of the running time though. It's bizarre but I found myself invested in it.

Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:41 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah bad editing on this one. Tightened up this could have been a quiet gem of a film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:51 pm
Extraordinary

My audience cheered for this at the end?

I thought it started with promise but all downhill in the last 1/3. It's almost like they made a movie around a party scene rather than a movie with a massive party scene.

Still had some nice elements but agree on that comment about editing, that's this film's biggest issue. It feels like they really didn't want to drop anything to the point its not coherant.

Also Tobey loses most of his Spidy goodwill here. I would be shocked if he doesn't win a Razzie for this it was so bad.

B-

Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

In the moment I wasn't sure what to think of some parts, interchanging scenes and tones which I had all kinds of different feelings about, but then once it was over I was longing for more of it. On the one hand I felt that I wanted more depth from a certain character or aspect, but on the other hand it's like this great rollercoaster ride exactly as it should be. As an experience as a whole, mesmerizing is what describes it best for me. There's plenty to laud this for, setting, direction, art-direction, soundtrack and acting. Margot Robbie gives a great performance, it may not have been special in that it was pretty much constantly dialed up to 11, but I loved it. With being a film about film, I totally dug the story in general too.

A-

Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

I can't really totally this because some scenes are so good in isolation like Nellie flopping her first sound movie or the the chaos of the big war movie shoot, and Robbie/Pitt/Calva are all excellent as is Tobey having fun, but ultimately it just doesn't come together as a full movie well. I heard one thing separates the best directors is they know when to cut a scene that's is good in a vacuum but doesn't make the movie better. This movie is 3 hours because it's full of scenes that are well shot by a director who knows all too well he has talent, but ultimately either don't need to be in it at all or could be way shorter, ultimately leaving it disjointed and losing one or two of its big three characters for long stretches of time. It might have worked if it went full vignette and just had a big ensemble of characters having little moments or subplots, but it still thinks it's telling three big stories with its main characters like Calva having this Jay Gatsby type arc of Nellie representing his Daisy like idealization and status above him, or Pitt's failure to transition to sound (for unexplained reasons), so it can't really claim to be a Hollywood snapshot either. The Oscars like movie montage at the end is as hamfisted an attempt to tell you the meaning of the movie as other moments in it like Calva and Nellie's early conversations about movies, Nellie telling Calva how they can't control her, or Jean Smart's big speech to Pitt about how he'll be remembered. And the story of silent actors struggling to transition to sound is hardly that new or interesting anyway compared to how transcendent the movie thinks it is, it's the most obvious move you can make for a movie about 1920s actors and it goes all in on it. Ultimately this so clearly needed more drafts and to be cut down to 2 and a half hours max.

Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]