Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Ticket to Paradise (2022) 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Ticket to Paradise (2022) 
now we know

Post Ticket to Paradise (2022)

Quote:
Ticket to Paradise is a 2022 romantic comedy film directed by Ol Parker and written by Parker and Daniel Pipski. The film stars George Clooney and Julia Roberts (who also serve as executive producers) as a divorced couple who decide to team up and sabotage the impending wedding of their daughter (Kaitlyn Dever).

Ticket to Paradise had its world premiere in Barcelona on September 8, 2022, and was released in the United Kingdom and Ireland on September 20, 2022, and was released in the United States on October 21, 2022, by Universal Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Ticket to Paradise (2022)
This was cute and fun. Julia Roberts and George Clooney are fantastic and play sensationally off each other. It's not reinventing the wheel but I thought it delivered as a crowd-pleasing escapist type of film. B

Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:25 am
Profile YIM
now we know

So this more-or-less won me over, but it is super, super, super formulaic. You basically tune in to this film to see George Clooney and Julia Roberts again, in the sort of film that just isn't made anymore. The set up is so stupid, and while it is rom-commed into being rational, I could not buy into it - the fact that the onus was on the parents to accept the marriage and not on the daughter to wake the fuck up kind of irked me. Literally nobody even says to her "how about you don't get married because this is fucking nuts!". Not even wait six months or year to see how it goes. Nobody says anything, everybody was totally onboard with a life-changing decision after knowing someone for 37 days. Ludicrous. And what's worse is that George and Julia were made to be the bad guys because they happened to be in a movie that treats relationships like a Disney princess world rather than the real world. There was not even any understanding of what their life would entail. So, is she just going to laze around on beaches for the rest of her life while her husband picks seaweed? I highly doubt she can be an apprentice lawyer in Indonesia having studied U.S. law. So, all of the backdrop to the film, basically the whole daughter side of the story, I did not like. But I understand it was only there as a foundation for Julia and George to bicker and eventually reconcile - I just wish it was more believable. The pilot character, again, was a plotting device to further the leads' means to make snide remarks. Oh, and the daughter looks about 15 years old.

I also dislike this story we've told ourselves for decades how any and every people that aren't from western countries are somehow peaceful, loving, in touch with the Earth, living in harmony with the circle of natural life yadda yadda yadda bullshit bullshit yuck yuck.. It's complete rubbish. Bali looks lovely in photos, and you can find paradise there, but South East Asia is full of garbage and destruction, people litter, people over-farm, people destroy habitats, they do it all just like they do in the west. But this film just loves the stereotypical insinuation that Balinese people are all about coconuts and nature, and the white man hasn't known true serenity until he embraces it.

But apart from all of that I was fond of the movie, despite its weak foundations. Naturally my focus was more on George than Julia. He had some good quips and retorts, and he still looks great at 60. It was all very pleasant and easy to watch. Julia looked gaunt, and employed boiler suits and what-not to hide her age, but she was game for a laugh. It is a satisfying movie.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

My dad really liked it but I thought all the best jokes were in the trailer. Clooney and Roberts are good, but probably won't watch it again

Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:08 am
Devil's Advocate

It was a bit more genuine and less interested in hijinks than I thought, they get a pretty likeable performance out of Dever despite her and her fiancee's lack of flaws. Ultimately this real world situation surely plays out all the time, and the parents apprehension is justified rather than just driven by their own cynicism, so I guess it works that they don't ratchet it up too much. The drunk best friend is mostly pointless if they were too scared to let her make a move on Clooney, whereas the pilot and annoying airplane guest work a bit better. Having one of the biggest set pieces be beer pong which has nothing to do with the setting was probably a waste. Clooney and Roberts do a pretty good job walking the line of still being likeable despite their hostile actions and making their backstory believable. It could have used a few more laughs but I think on the whole it's a solid romcom locale movie that will earn its TV replay status.

Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:11 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was cute for what it was. Julia Roberts and George Clooney were great and played well off each other. B

Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:49 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]