Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Superhero Movie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
D 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Superhero Movie 
Extraordinary

Post Superhero Movie
Superhero Movie

Quote:
Superhero Movie is a 2008 American spoof film written and directed by Craig Mazin, produced by David Zucker and Robert K. Weiss, and starring Drake Bell, Sara Paxton, Christopher McDonald, and Leslie Nielsen. It was originally titled Superhero! as a parody to one of David and Jerry Zucker's previous films Airplane!.

Superhero Movie is a spoof of the superhero film genre, mainly the first Spider-Man, as well as other modern-day Marvel Comics film adaptations. The film follows in the footsteps of the Scary Movie series of comedies, with which the film's poster shares a resemblance. It was also inspired by, and contains homages to, some of Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker's earlier spoof films such as Airplane! and The Naked Gun.

Production began on September 17, 2007, in New York. It was released on March 28, 2008 in the United States, and the UK release was June 6, 2008, and received $9,000,000 on its opening weekend and was #3 at the box office. The film was rated PG-13 by the MPAA for crude and sexual content, comic violence, drug references, and language. In Australia, it was rated M for moderate sexual references and infrequent coarse language.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Superhero Movie
The good news is it's better than anything Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg. The bad news is, it's not by much and that's especially disappointing since this movie was made by the creators of The Naked Gun. And talk about a misleading poster. With the exception of Drake Bell as "The Dragonfly" and Leslie Nielsen, all of the characters on the poster aren't in the film for more than a scene or two (Craig Bierko as Wolverine gets one lone shot. Not even a line).

To the film's credit, it starts out okay mostly thanks to Leslie Nielsen. Then it just derails.

*1/2

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Jmart007 wrote:
The good news is it's better than anything Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg. The bad news is, it's not by much and that's especially disappointing since this movie was made by the creators of The Naked Gun. And talk about a misleading poster. With the exception of Drake Bell as "The Dragonfly" and Leslie Nielsen, all of the characters on the poster aren't in the film for more than a scene or two (Craig Bierko as Wolverine gets one lone shot. Not even a line).

To the film's credit, it starts out okay mostly thanks to Leslie Nielsen. Then it just derails.

*1/2

It wasn't by the Zuckers or anyone, originally he was directing it, but it was written and directed by the writer of Scary Movie 3 and 4 and such "CLASSICS" as Senseless and Rocketman

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:13 am
Superman: The Movie

Thegun wrote:
Jmart007 wrote:

*1/2

It wasn't by the Zuckers or anyone, originally he was directing it, but it was written and directed by the writer of Scary Movie 3 and 4 and such "CLASSICS" as Senseless and Rocketman

Oh okay. I thought Mazin went back with them to Naked Gun 3. I did like SM 3 & 4 though so it's still somewhat disappointing.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:15 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Zucker produced this one, so he was ultimately involved.

it barely beat out my expectations, which were set right around the middle...they could have done a lot more with it, but oh boy is it a beautiful thing after witnessing Meet the Spartans to see a spoof with an actual plot. Luckily, it was closer to Scary Movie/Walk Hard quality than Epic/Date/Spartan Movie quality. Yeah, there were some misses, and I mean some of the jokes REALLY missed, but to my surprise, there was a very good amount of laugh-out-loud moments, and the spoofs of Spider-man especially were quite spot-on at times. Nielsen stole the show, of course, but Paxton got the Kirsten Dunst thing down pretty damn well (a particular thing that struck me was how when he approaches her with the flowers at one point, the way she reacts to it and says his name is, legit, 100% like the way Dunst did it in Spider-man), Drake Bell was funny enough to carry the film, and the black guy playing his friend was pretty funny even though he was stuck with all the pop culture references. Overall, a fun spoof.. I think I might wanna pick this up some day, to watch right after watching the first Spider-man or something. But then I think about the X-Men scenes and the Stephen Hawking character (what the eff was he doing in this movie anyways?), and I find myself rethinking that.

B-

Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:54 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

I thought Bell and Paxton were quite good given the material they had at times wasn't very good.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:14 pm
King Albert!

Not too shabby.

Certianly a step up from Meet the Spartans. The Zucker slapstick humor was a much better fit than the reference as the joke gags in the Epic Movies. Leslie Nielsen was the best part because of his comedic timing. Alot of the joke where hit or miss, and it was a pretty mixed bag. Still, pretty good for the genre.

Grade: B-.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

this film is pretty bad. And I mean if you are going to cast an awful actress at least cast one who is hot because that girl was not very attractive. The film dragged too much and felt too scattered and it was only 70 minutes long. I think i laughed twice

D.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:33 am
On autopilot for the summer

This film is pretty bad. Granted its not the atrocities of the current crapy like Epic/Date/Meet the Spartans, that stuff isnt even worth ranking. But this isn't even up to the leagues of spoofs like Wrongfully Accused and Spy Hard. Theres a few good jokes here and there, but some really unfunny and at times very unappropriate. It's really a shame too, as its something that was prime for spoofing, but this is how not to make a spoof.

D

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:58 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

D

terrible, but not as terrible as Date Movie etc. but wtf, the movie posters are so misleading. only 1 scene with Regina Hall. Travesty.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:43 pm
Orphan

Jim Halpert wrote:
this film is pretty bad. And I mean if you are going to cast an awful actress at least cast one who is hot because that girl was not very attractive. The film dragged too much and felt too scattered and it was only 70 minutes long. I think i laughed twice

D.

:whaa:

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:54 pm
Wallflower

SUPERHERO MOVIE - 6/10 (C+)

It wasn't bad. It actually had some funny moments.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:04 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Mike wrote:
SUPERHERO MOVIE - 6/10 (C+)

It wasn't bad. It actually had some funny moments.

Same thoughts.

C+

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

I hoped for better. It had some great lines in it but overall it has too much stupidity to be anything great. My favorite part was when the Snail said Take It All Bitch. That was by far the funniest thing I heard. No where near as good as the Scary Movies, except for 2 ofcourse, which sucked balls.

C

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:23 pm
Oh great, now I'm a waitress :D

Below my expectations. I thought it would be a better spoof than recent crap like MTS/EM and others. Well it was better than those, but it still couldn't manage to be slightly a good film. I'd give it roughly a D+, and I'm not so sure it's deserving of that much.

Pan's Labyrinth
Best. Movie. Ever.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Uekacreator wrote:
Below my expectations. I thought it would be a better spoof than recent crap like MTS/EM and others. Well it was better than those, but it still couldn't manage to be slightly a good film. I'd give it roughly a D+, and I'm not so sure it's deserving of that much.

Glad to see it raised from a D. ;)

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:56 pm
Oh great, now I'm a waitress :D

Ev@n wrote:
Uekacreator wrote:

I had it at a D...no, I'm pretty sure it was a D+.

Oh...never mind. It was a D...and that's what it'll stay at. It isn't worthy of a D+.

Pan's Labyrinth
Best. Movie. Ever.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Uekacreator wrote:
Ev@n wrote:
Uekacreator wrote:

I had it at a D...no, I'm pretty sure it was a D+.

Oh...never mind. It was a D...and that's what it'll stay at. It isn't worthy of a D+.

I shouldn't have told you!

Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:05 pm
The Wall

1/2 / *****

Ugh.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

As far as spoofs go I thought this was good. It's not hilarious, but it is funny. It's more akin to Leslie Nielsen parodies than anything like Meet the Spartans or Superfast!, which are just awful. This one has enough pedigree that it feels a worthy equivalent to, say, Scary Movie or Not Another Teen Movie. Okay, maybe not that good, but still decent. It helps that it has the aforementioned Naked Gun star, Kevin Hart, Christopher McDonald, Ryan Hansen, Brent Spiner, Tracy Morgan, and Jeffrey Tambor, as well as cameos by the likes of Pamela Anderson and Lil' Kim.

What helps it most is the theme; superheroes. It might have been a tad early coming out in 2008, but it still allows the most iconic superhero movies to be lampooned, the foundation of which is Spider-Man, and it works well as it intertwines with X-Men, Batman and, oddly, Tom Cruise. As with all spoofs, some jokes fall flat but I feel the gag machine largely stands firm. It also uses its comedic licence well as it pokes fun at the likes of Stephen Hawking, the Dalai Lama, and Barry Bonds. You also have to know what you're getting yourself into - this is a genre that specializes in low-brow, crass humour. If one can appreciate that then I believe Superhero Movie will not disappoint, but it is very easy to be judgemental and look down on it if that's your intention. If you want to have fun, you'll get it with this movie, and it's a breeze at just 86 minutes.

I believe a sequel could be somewhat of a success - even if this is genre-non-grata in Hollywood right now - because since 2008 there have been so many iconic superhero stories to imitate. Iron Man, for example, isn't included in this at all, but since then there's been such a rich conveyor belt of material to mock.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]