Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Amsterdam 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Amsterdam 
now we know

Post Amsterdam

Quote:
Amsterdam is a 2022 period mystery comedy thriller film directed, written, and produced by David O. Russell. It stars an ensemble cast, led by Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, and John David Washington, featuring Chris Rock, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zoe Saldaña, Mike Myers, Michael Shannon, Timothy Olyphant, Andrea Riseborough, Taylor Swift, Matthias Schoenaerts, Alessandro Nivola, Rami Malek, and Robert De Niro. Based on the Business Plot, a 1933 political conspiracy in the US, Amsterdam follows three friends—a doctor, a nurse and a lawyer—who are caught in the murder of a US senator in the 1930s.

Filmed in Los Angeles from January to March 2021, Amsterdam marks Russell's first film since Joy (2015). The film was released in the United States on October 7, 2022, by 20th Century Studios. It received mixed reviews from critics, most of whom praised the production design and acting performances, but criticized the direction and plot.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Amsterdam
This was ok, mildly entertaining throughout but there are too many characters and the script is just messy overall

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:11 am
Extraordinary

Honestly didn't think it was that bad. I think the bad reviews helped me like it more than I would have. A tighter script (some moments and acting felt off...) and it could've been a very good movie.

Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:12 pm
Keeping it Light

Easy movie to like for me, but imperfect. Bale is a good leading man as usual and Robbie looks as stunning as ever in this setting. Incl. Washington it makes for a good trio actually and the film has a pleasant historic and comedic side to it. It's just nice to look at all together and it's a decent story, but that's the qualm I guess, that it's just decent. It appears to be a bit more interested to reel of a slew of famous actors instead of making this a very engaging tale. I had a good time with it, but as a mystery film it doesn't succeed and falls short of Russell's better works.

B

Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:32 pm
Forum General

I hated this so much. One of the worst of the year.

F

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

This movie felt like it was built to be this high wire comedy act with its big names showing up every 2 seconds, but the energy and humor is more like Joy than American Hustle, as a result it just dies. The best part of the movie is the Amsterdam flashback when it's about romance/friendship and not the case. David O Russell is probably one of those people that thinks Trump is a nazi and it shows in the finale when he tries to make it this big political coup thing instead of a more simple route of the bad guy going away for murder. Or he could have just made the whole movie about that real life De Niro character if you're going to go that route instead of building this whole other murder mystery. Either way the mix didn't work.

Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]