Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Bandit 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Bandit 
now we know

Post Bandit

Quote:
Bandit is a biographical crime film directed by Allan Ungar and starring Josh Duhamel, Elisha Cuthbert, Nestor Carbonell and Mel Gibson.

The film is based on the true life story of Gilbert Galvan Jr (also known as The Flying Bandit). Galvan escaped from a Michigan prison in 1984 and crossed the border into Canada where he went on to rob 59 banks and jewelry stores while being chased by a police task force. He still holds a record for the most consecutive robberies in Canadian history.

The screenplay by Kraig Wenman is largely based on interviews and accounts featured in the 1996 true crime book The Flying Bandit by Robert Knuckle with Ed Arnold. Redbox Entertainment and Quiver Distribution acquired North American distribution rights to the film and released it in theatres and on demand on September 23, 2022.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Bandit
The name of the book, The Flying Bandit, would have been such a better title and would, if nothing else, give people American Made vibes before checking it out, and that comparison is quite apt. It's not as good, but it's still a very enjoyable heist caper in that vein. I'm talking disguises, get rich quick and lavish expenditure montages, federal agents on his tail, freeze-frames and accompanying narration, etc. It is never boring. It clips along at a nice pace with a jaunty score and fun dialogue. It's really well written for a streaming movie. It may appear to be an Emmett/Furla-type production, but it's really not, and Allan Ungar clearly knows how to cut a film.

Josh Duhamel is great as bank robber Robert Whiteman. He's the stand out performer in a film with other larger names, such as Mel Gibson and Elisha Cuthbert, and it's nice to see because I don't remember Duhamel really headlining a film before. Mel doesn't do much here, he's just good old reliable Mel but he is still largely the reason I checked it out, and the film doesn't disappoint at all. In fact, I'm relieved, because his last few non-theatrical releases (Hot Seat, Panama, and Agent Game) have been garbage. I don't mind Mel doing DTV as long as they're like Bandit, or Fatman and Dragged Across Concrete. Cuthbert is still attractive, though different from that The Girl Next Door way. Now she's housewife hot, like Monica Potter ten years ago, and I was happy to see her in this. NĂ©stor Carbonell is also pretty good as the chasing detective.

All-in-all it's not going to move you or make you laugh your ass off - I'm super positive about it because I expected another DTV misfire - but you'll enjoy yourself for a couple of hours.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]