Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Medieval 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Medieval 
now we know

Post Medieval

Quote:
Medieval is an English-language Czech action historical drama film by Petr Jákl. It is about the life of Jan Žižka, a Bohemian military commander who never lost a battle. The film is set prior to the Hussite Wars (1419–1434), when Žižka was young. It tells the story of how Žižka became a famous military commander. It is the most expensive Czech film ever made.

It stars Ben Foster as Jan Žižka, and also Michael Caine, Til Schweiger, William Moseley, and Matthew Goode. Medieval was released on 8 September 2022 via Avenue Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Medieval
I should really be avoiding this type of stuff - it wastes so much of my life - but they know how to lure me in; attractive cast, knights, bloodshed, and historical significance, but this was a tough sit.

It is a run-of-the-mill DTV sword and armour movie that just didn't impress me at all. I suspect it was shot in Czech Republic on the cheap. It certainly loves its drone shots, as if it was still 2016. In terms of violence, much of it is concealed behind quick edits or cutaways - probably due to budgetary constraints - but I'd argue in 2022 if you intend to make an action movie in the age of the sword you can no longer half-ass it, you need to know how to stage and film exciting and violent swordplay. Admittedly it gets better in the second half but by then it is too late.

It also doesn't have an easy plot like in Troy and Gladiator where the story is well-known and simple. Here it cannot seem to get out of the nettles of something to do with Catholicism, the throne, a kidnapped princess, and opposing factions of Eastern European warriors. There's fighting, there's a hierarchy, but I couldn't tell you why they're fighting and who's fighting for who. And for a film that ends with text, "Jan Zizka is considered one of the greatest military commanders and innovators of all time", it sure doesn't show much in the way of innovation and decision-making to warrant such a claim.

Impressive cast, though, with Ben Foster, Matthew Goode, Michael Caine, Til Schweiger, and Karl Roden, but they are under-utilized, and most of the film is Foster fighting or being chased by Roland Møller (the gang leader from Riders of Justice) in the woods. Foster also doesn't have a commanding presence nor voice like a Brad Pitt or a Russell Crowe type, so it is hard to root for the little short ass.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Medieval
This is one of the most hilariously bad movies I've ever seen.

F

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:06 pm