Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Three Thousand Years of Longing 

Grade:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Three Thousand Years of Longing 
now we know

Post Three Thousand Years of Longing

Quote:
Three Thousand Years of Longing is a 2022 fantasy film directed and co-written by George Miller. It is an adaptation of the short story "The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye" by A. S. Byatt. The film stars Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton.

Three Thousand Years of Longing had its world premiere at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival on May 20, 2022, and was released in the United States on August 26, 2022, by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (via United Artists Releasing), and in Australia on September 1, 2022, by Roadshow Entertainment.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Three Thousand Years of Longing
Surprisingly not good. Strange film. The flashback scenes took up a good majority of the film and they were mostly meh? By the end it didn't do anything for me.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:30 am
Indiana Jones IV

I thought this was imperfect but overall pretty great. I enjoyed its message about the need for story-telling in creating meaning and understanding in our lives, and where does love and longing fit into that? Is it just a madness, a story we tell ourselves to feel connected or meaningful? Or is it essential? Yes and yes.

I loved the visual sumptuousness that breathed life into the the dialogue-driven story telling relationship between the two leads. I do agree that their connection felt a little lacking in the love aspect, with nary a physical touch or passionate display here... but I also think that might be part of the point.

Anyway, it's enjoyable, unique, and has something to say about the human experience. It's probably a B+ from me but I'll bump it up to A-.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:25 pm
now we know

Three Thousand Years of Longing is a mature, often somber, fantasy tale. It isn't concerned with the magnificence and mouthwatering prospect of three wishes. It is, as the title suggests, a story of a Djinn; his trials and tribulations leading to that point, and his farewell. The film is sumptuously produced, and drops into past eras with ease and intrigue. Idris Elba is mystical and otherworldly, and George Miller clearly had tons of fun exploring and telling the stories of his character. The film is quite a wild ride, too, once you're on board. It offers a few laughs but is first and foremost a visual spectacle, and it delivers.

It is a unique film. There's eeriness (the ghostlike figure sitting in the lecture hall audience), there's quirky and bold gross out stuff (the fat ladies), there's social commentary (her neighbours, one of which is Neighbours legend, Madge), and there's lots of creative creatures (such as Solomon's living musical instrument). But it's not presented in a whizz-bang Hollywood way, and I can see that rubbing people the wrong way, particularly after how it's been marketed and its association with George Miller's more accessible prior films.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]