Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Close 

Grade:
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Close 
Wallflower

Post Close

[A] sharply observed, heartbreaking masterpiece...
- G. Allen Johnson, San Francisco Chronicle

The loss of childhood innocence has rarely been portrayed so powerfully on screen as in this heartbreaking second feature from Belgian writer-director Lukas Dhont.
- Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion

Eden Dambrine, Gustav De Waele, and Emile Dequuenne carry the emotional punch Dhont gives to the audience about being alone and how it connects with everyone.
- Brian Susbielles, InSession Film

It can be a cliche to say that a film will linger with viewers long after it ends, but Close earns that status as something beautiful, bittersweet and undeniably powerful.
- Lisa Trifone, Third Coast Review

What elevates Close is the almost casual way the worm of doubt can be installed in a previously happy existence—an observation devastatingly brought to life.
- Robert Horton, The Scarecrow

CLOSE is one of my favorite films from last year and earned its Oscar nomination.
- JD Duran, InSession Film

Close is a portrait of before & after, of the intimacy of friendship & the devastation of losing it, with an astonishing performance at the center.
- Graeme Guttmann, Screen Rant

“Close” is truly a directorial tour de force. Dhont knew what he wanted to say and said it with grace, dignity, and depth.
- Neely Swanson, Beverly Hills Courier

a sensitive examination of the restrictions society places on masculinity, robbing men of intimacy it deems inappropriate. Eden Dambrine… simply gives one of the great child performances committed to film.
- Laura Clifford, Reeling Reviews

It's one of if not the best indie/international film this year! Newcomer Eden Dambrine gives one of the best performances of the year & with Dhont’s directing/writing this is a heartbreak and yet truthful depictions of friendship & loss I’ve ever seen!
- Samuel Leggett Jr., JVS Media & Productions/Team JVS

Quote:
Leo and Remi are two thirteen-year-old best friends, whose seemingly unbreakable bond is suddenly, tragically torn apart. Winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival, Lukas Dhont's second film is an emotionally transformative and unforgettable portrait of the intersection of friendship and love, identity and independence, and heartbreak and healing.

Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:30 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Close
An incredible film and one of the very best of the year, featuring some of the best cinematography of the year. Newcomers Eden Dambrine and Gustav De Waele give beautifully natural performances. Dambrine is a tour-de-fource and De Waele broke my heart. Émilie Dequenne is also great in her supporting turn. A shame she didn't get any awards attention.

I didn't know this movie was going to go where it did. I only knew the basic storyline. It was an absolute gut-punch. I was in tears the majority of this film. Director Lukas Dhont is able to effectively establish a really beautiful friendship early on and in a relatively short period of time. As a viewer we are just as devastated by the loss of that friendship as if we had already watched an entire movie about these characters.

This film is going to stay with me for a while.

A

Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:31 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Close
I drove a couple hours again to see it at a theater that got it last weekend. Went with my friend and his girlfriend. They thought it was beautiful and I still found it to be an amazing film. I can't get over it. :tears:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]