Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Gray Man 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Gray Man 
now we know

Post The Gray Man

Quote:
The Gray Man is an American action thriller film directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, from a screenplay the latter co-wrote with Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, based on the 2009 novel of the same name by Mark Greaney. The film stars Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jessica Henwick, Regé-Jean Page, Wagner Moura, Julia Butters, Dhanush, Alfre Woodard, and Billy Bob Thornton. Produced by the Russo brothers' company, AGBO, the film hopes to start a franchise based upon Greaney's Gray Man novels.

The Gray Man was released on July 15, 2022, followed by its release on Netflix on July 22, 2022. With a production budget of $200 million, it is the most expensive film ever made by Netflix.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: The Gray Man
I drove an hour to see it in a theater last weekend. Not that I was dying to see it but I knew if I didn't see it in a theater I wouldn't end up watching it on Netflix. I'd always end up finding something I'd rather watch than this. I think this has to be the first big budget Netflix action production I've watched. The pairing of Gosling and Evans is what got me interested. Not long into the movie I did kind of regret driving an hour for this movie alone. It's very generic. That's not a surprise or anything but I thought maybe with the leads it would be a good one. It's entertaining enough just nothing special. Also despite such a huge budget it still feels like a Netflix movie. Even when they spend money on a movie there's still something about it that feels kind of cheap.

Gosling and Evans are pretty good. I might watch a sequel if one happens.

6/10

Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:34 pm
now we know

Lowered expectations helped this become quite a great little actioner. It's really not as jokey as the trailer made out. It's a serious, globetrotting action film, and I appreciated that. Sure, there's a few quips here and there, it's clearly made to be PG-13 (just the one "fuck" when it really could've used more, and Evans should've been meaner) and it has that sort of cost-effective airbrushed quality to much of the action sequences, which usually means a computer is involved in post ..... but apart from all that stuff it's a very enjoyable action spectacle.

Gosling is good as the stoic contract killer. Evans is obviously enjoying playing against type as the crazy side of the hired hands. The action goes from Thailand to Azerbaijan to Turkey to Austria to Croatia to Washington D.C., and action happens on planes, cars, trams, and in mansions. It's really just a very edge-of-your-seat action feast, much like other Netflix productions; 6 Underground and Extraction. So if, for whatever reason, you overlooked what you didn't like in those movies, you should be fine overlooking it here as well.

About ten minutes in I already mentally put this into the "wish I'd seen this in a cinema" folder.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:17 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The Russos sure know how to stage some great action scenes. There are plenty of those in The Gray Man. Yet ... I still found myself getting bored by the end cause the story is the same ole Man On Fire that has been in a thousand different action movies over the years.

Also, there's so much happening in the big scenes by the end that it all felt a little hollow. Like the part where Gosling is on a runaway tram, watching the reflection of whats happening below him in passing windows while a bad guy creeps ever so closely into his trap. This all happens in like 12 seconds though. I feel like a better movie would have stretched that cat and mouse scene into a several minute bit where the audience realizes whats happening right before the bad guy does and then BAM.

C

Also also, since I didn't see a thread for it, I'll post a quick review of RRR here. That had a similiar story where a super badass action hero has to protect a kidnapped child .. but lets say they got a lot more creative with ... everything. I still had some issues with the movie, the heroes wrecking 100 dudes in one scene and then doing a highly choreographed song/dance in the next scene was always offputting, but I'd steer people towards that instead of The Gray Man any day.

Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:35 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Quite entertaining. God help us Gosling is very one note, and sweet jesus destroying all of central prague was a bit ridiculous. But in terms of a movie to enjoy its delivered.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]