Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Thor: Love and Thunder 

Grade:
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Thor: Love and Thunder 
now we know

Post Thor: Love and Thunder

Quote:
Thor: Love and Thunder is a 2022 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Thor, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is the direct sequel to Thor: Ragnarok (2017) and the 29th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Taika Waititi, who co-wrote the script with Jennifer Kaytin Robinson, and stars Chris Hemsworth as Thor alongside Christian Bale, Tessa Thompson, Jaimie Alexander, Waititi, Russell Crowe, and Natalie Portman. In the film, Thor attempts to find inner peace, but must return to action and recruit Valkyrie (Thompson), Korg (Waititi), and Jane Foster (Portman)—who is now the Mighty Thor—to stop Gorr the God Butcher (Bale) from eliminating all gods.

Thor: Love and Thunder premiered at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood on June 23, 2022, and was released in the United States on July 8, 2022, as part of Phase Four of the MCU.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Thor: Love and Thunder
I liked, but anyone expecting to see the movie Disney’s selling - GotG/Thor team up movie - are going to baffled. Is anyone who saw Ragnarok expecting a fairy tale?

When the movie is trying to be funny, it works.
When it’s trying to be Hook/Temple of Doom? Ehh.
When it’s trying to be a cancer drama? Wet fart.

I appreciate the zag this movie is making after Ragnarok, but from the man who made Jojo Rabbit, this could’ve been so much more. This needed a few more minutes of prologue and a lot more of Thor and Jane, as herself. There might be a great 149 minute cut here. The one that clocks in at 119 (108 without credits) is just good enough.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I enjoyed it. Definitely flawed, but I had a good time.

Whistling for the screaming goats could have been Patience. Missed opportunity. ;)

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

This was horrendous.

Spoiler: show
why bring Jane back to kill her?

Marvel is beyond stale to me. They are past over exposure and quality is really suffering. Will be interesting to see when this inevitably affects BO.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:22 am
Quality is a great business plan

Excel wrote:
This was horrendous.

Marvel is beyond stale to me. They are past over exposure and quality is really suffering. Will be interesting to see when this inevitably affects BO.

I think 2023 slate is lot weaker. Ant-man is lower tier plus Captain Marvel hit a perfect storm(intro in infinity war post credits and released 2 months before Endgame with her appearance in Endgame trailer). I expect sequel to drop. Then there is Blade and I am not sure where that can go without crazy cameos from big hitters.

I used to be shawman.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:29 am
100% That Bitch

C+

One of marvel's worst

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:34 am
Romosexual!

I enjoyed it :D Chris Hemsworth kills it everytime. He's probably my fav of the MCU Chris.

I wish the movie was longer though. I wanted more of Jane, more of Valkyrie and more of Gorr. There's a 4 hours cut of this movie and I wish they didn't cut it all the way down to just 2 hours with credits.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:01 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Chris says he has a pair of very big ass cheeks, and showing his bare-ass was 10 years in the making and a dream of his that finally became reality in this film.

And the director of photography said shooting the scene was incredibly hard, as everyone on set couldn't keep their eyes off it.

So, my question: Does it live up to the high praises and expectations? If not, it could be a deal-breaker if his thunder clapper didn't deliver as the God of Thunder's should.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:20 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
So, my question: Does it live up to the high praises and expectations? If not, it could be a deal-breaker if his thunder clapper didn't deliver as the God of Thunder's should.
Audible gasps both in the movie and audience when it happened. :funny:

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:55 am
The Kramer

I had a blast with Thor: Love and Thunder. It's such a funny movie, and while we wish it could have balanced that humor with a deeper plotline like Ragnarok, this just works well as a goofy romantic comedy. One with so much style! Not sure what my favorite part was: the recurring bit with Stormbreaker being jealous of Thor's ex-weapon or the tiny planet that turned everything black and white. So much to like in this movie.

Though I'm all for #ReleasetheWaititiCut too. Felt there was a chunk missing in the middle that was cut for pacing reasons, but I could spend a lot more time with it if needed. Still, the pace of the movie felt right for what it was trying to be.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:08 pm
The Kramer

Excel wrote:
This was horrendous.

I'm guessing this is entirely because Natalie Portman only wanted to do one more. Could have easily just had her fuck off into space for a few years Captain Marvel style, but she wanted to get that bag and end her storyline at the same time. It's a bummer, but good for her.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:11 pm
The Kramer

Oh and Roy Fucking Kent as Hercules is terrific casting. I was dreading that hero's introduction but instead they turned me into a fan instantly.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:13 pm
Team Kris

Had an absolute blast watching this. Easily the funniest movie in the MCU. Two words sums up this movie, screaming goats! My only problem with this and most of the MCU post Endgame is that it doesn't feel like they are building towards something bigger. Will there be another Thanos level villain to have another Avengers movie?

Some people might have a problem with the light/comedic tone throughout the film but I loved it. More Zeus and Thor in future movies please! Comedic gold.

A-

Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Pretty much what I was expecting, so it was a lot of fun. However... there was a decent bit cut here, there had to be. A lot of scene jumping, probably with some missing scenes in between being cut. A big one is when they're on the black and white planet and suddenly in that tent the next without them (or us) seeing it beforehand or walking or otherwise noting it (because it wasn't anywhere to be seen!). And there must be a scene or two between Valkyrie and Jane. We don't see them meeting, so a scene where Jane becomes Thor in front of Valkyrie after coming to see what caused the thunderstorm outside must have been shot? And that's just one example. Valkyrie and Jane already have some history when Thor arrives to help them with the shadow monsters. And there are other "gaps" I noticed throughout.

So... while it was a lot of fun, it's unfortunate it was almost certainly cut. Could have been a top-tier Marvel film, in my opinion. So, the question is... why was it cut? Audiences don't mind 2.5 hour+ movies (could argue they prefer them looking at the biggest box office hits), and the studio clearly made an effort to stick around that 2 hour mark and loss the extra 20-30 mins.

Now, if this is intended and an extended cut is released in Disney+ or something, cool? That could be some marketing strategy to promote Disney+ further, but also sort of shady and unfair to theatergoers if it's done with intent. "See the shortened version in theaters, and then the full version exclusively on Disney+!"

Back to the movie review... it was fun. I don't know if it's funnier than Ragnarok or Guardians, but it's up there. Chris was entertaining (and hotter than ever somehow) as usual. Natalie was alright, but seems some of her story here was cut to me. Tessa was fun and may have liked her even more this time around. Bale was solid and portrayed his character well. The goats were certainly a hit judging by the audience reaction to them. New Asgard is developing nicely. And, lastely, Crowe was fun as Zeus.

Favorite two credit scenes in a long time. Glad Zeus wasn't dead. I don't know who Roy Kent is, but cool to see Hercules appearing in the MCU at some point. And Jane going to Valhalla was nice closure for her character. I was a tad "disappointed" with her death, but showing her in Valhalla completely changed that (should have been in the film itself!).

B++ (extra + for both satisfying butt cheeks)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This was incredibly fun and really liked having Portman back if only for one movie though she will probably appear again in Valhalla as hinted at in the post credit scene. Gorgeous visuals as always, Korg especially is hilarious and Gorr is a good villain. Much better than Thor 2 which for some reason only is 3% lower on RT. If I hadn't read the reviews I'd think it was at least in the 80's. Sure it was joky in bits to excess, but it felt in line with their characters. I'd think this would have good WOM.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:36 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I agree with the consensus. It is so much fun, but it just doesn’t have the stakes of the other films, and it does feel like they trimmed too much. Reviews are way too harsh on this. Bale is awesome. He has this demented Blippy energy that is just so creepy at times. I’d go A-/B+ on it

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:47 am
Extraordinary

I liked the Thor/Jane stuff. Everything else was fine or eh.

I'd rank Phase 4 so far:
No Way Home
Shang-Chi
Black Widow
Eternals
Multiverse of Madness
Love and Thunder

Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:42 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was not good. I have never been a huge fan of the Thor movies but the last one was fun so that heightened expectations for me here. Natalie Portman is completely wasted and it does feel like around 30 minutes of the film were cut to the point where it was distracting, there was no buildup or emotional payout to her plotline. Chris Hemsworth was fun and Christian Bale actually gives a great villain performance but the whole thing feels so cobbled together that it's not effective. C

Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:21 am
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

It's fun, not that fun and not as good as Ragnarok and the film doesn't really stand out in any area, but there's enough to appreciate. Bale as a villain, Crowe as Zeus, Thompson is always good in everything, cameos. The soundtrack feels limited however and narratively after showing some promise in the beginning, it comes up short with the kids are kidnapped and need to be rescued part. Gorr should have been gotten more to do in the 2nd half, and while I also appreciate Portman in general as female Thor, I didn't totally love where they went with her story. The montage of the Jane-Thor relationship evolution was good.

B

Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:07 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

On the surface - it has some good fight scenes and great visuals. It probably wasn't as annoyingly OTT silly as I was dreading (good) but it was also still juvenile and the buffoonery wears thin resulting in a light and forgettable film.

Others that noted that the film has been overly was way over-cut are correct. The film should have been 20 mins longer and more fleshed out though kudos on the fact it never gets boring.

Bale was good but underused. Crowe was surprisingly good. The other actors are fine. Korg is annoying and so are the goats.

Overall OK and better than expected.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:56 pm

The more I read, the more I realize this film should have actually been longer but suffered from the hand of Disney’s over meddling, which honestly sounds like the plight of so many Disney films that is sounds about right.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:04 pm
The Kramer

Hopefully they cut the "keep it under two hours" shit for future movies. I'll defend this movie to the death, but it's become obvious that more Guardians, more Valkyrie and more Bale would have lead to better word of mouth.

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:06 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Real good. Probably too short. And once again Marvel wastes a great villain.

A/A- maybe?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm
The Kramer

With the knowledge that Phase 4 is almost over, I think, as much as I like the movie as is, they kinda blew it by not having it be the big Team-Up movie to end the phase. Thor should have recruited the Guardians, Hulk and Captain Marvel to help against Bale at the end after his own team got rocked.

Only speaking from a financial perspective. Box office would be $100M higher at the least.

Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:33 pm
Hold the door!

Upon second viewing, I really like this movie. It's a fun one off story with great performances from Hemsworth and Portman and the special effects are beautiful. Bale is a great villain.

Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next