Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

College Boy Z

Post Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Quote:
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers is a 1995 American horror film and the sixth installment in the Halloween series. Directed by Joe Chappelle from a screenplay by Daniel Farrands, the plot involves the "Curse of Thorn", a mystical symbol first shown in Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers and revealed in the film to be the source of Michael Myers' evil. The cast includes Paul Rudd (in his first film appearance) as Tommy Doyle, a returning character from the original Halloween film, and Donald Pleasence reprising his final role as protagonist Dr. Sam Loomis. Jamie Lloyd's appearance in the beginning of the film ties up loose ends to Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers.

Curse opened to a respectable $7.3 million on September 29, 1995, coming in second to New Line's seminal serial killer thriller Se7en. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers and the Thorn plotline would be ignored in succeeding installments, 1998's Halloween H20: 20 Years Later and 2002's Halloween: Resurrection. However, the 2001 Halloween comic book series published by Chaos Comics - and based on Farrands' concept for the eighth Halloween film — attempts to bridge the continuity between The Curse of Michael Myers and Halloween H20.

The sixth installment is known for its controversial behind-the-scenes history, suffering from re-shoots in production and numerous cuts and arrangements made in the editing room; the workprint of the film, with 43 minutes of alternate footage including a different ending, was eventually discovered by fans of the series. This version, dubbed "The Producer's Cut" (as it was the original intended version of the film) developed a strong cult following, with bootleg DVD copies sold on eBay.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:38 pm
La Bella Vito

This movie is very scary. I cannot watch this movie in the dark without getting scared. I have to have the lights on everytime. There's just something about it that makes it so horrfying for me. You can call it the most brutal Halloween movie ever. It's very gory, and the head exploding scene is just disgusting. I thought killing off Jamie Llyod was a stupid idea. It has better pacing than H5, but its not better.

C-

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:00 am
Profile YIM WWW
George A. Romero

the last decent entry in the halloween series. i loved the direction they were going with the whole "thorn cult controlling michael" idea. but then they had to go and completely cut out that idea in the very disappointing H2O and Resurrection sequels that followed. some nice gore and an interesting story make this a nice addition to the franchise.

B

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:05 am
You must have big rats

Decent slasher (this is, by the way, what I consider the first movie to be as well, not much more) that repeats all the Halloween/slasher flicks clichés and brings little new to the story despite the ridiculous cult angle that thankfully isn't explored upon too much. It is still by far better than the very mediocre Halloween: H20, but it's also not the series' best entry either.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:46 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

B-

Decent slasher (this is, by the way, what I consider the first movie to be as well, not much more) that repeats all the Halloween/slasher flicks chlichés and brings little new to the story despite the ridiculous cult angle that thankfully isn't explored upon too much. It is still by far better than the very mediocre Halloween: H20, but it's also not the series' best entry either.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Last edited by Thegun on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 am
Indiana Jones IV

*This specific review pertains to an early workprint of Halloween 666 - The Origin of Michael Myers (not the Producer's Cut or the Theatrical Cut). It resembles the Producer's Cut (titled: Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers), but there are some slight addendums. I didn't even know this version previously existed before having the opportunity to check it out -- thanks to a mega movie fan who happened to have it. However, this guy owns thousands of rarities, so he has some pretty cool stuff involving films in general.

There are several different cuts of this film, each displaying different titles.

-----------------------
Review:

Halloween 6's original moniker that was nicely mainstream marketed before reshoots and production problems occurred. Halloween 666 was infact the film's original name before being changed to Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. Both names being marketed to the overall public. Ironically, the 666 moniker was used for theatrical and VHS pimping, early on, before the name change.

It's the film that was pumped out behind films such as Die Hard with a Vengence (not directly attached; depended on theater) and Pulp Fiction (its video release) that year. It's a shame the film we were meant to see would never come to be.

"Dimension" certainly must have expected more money out of this one early on. A well shot trailer, decent marketing, an early start, and a general excitement over its release. Unfortunately, many problems would lead to disaster... As time marched on, "Dimension Films" likely knew it was all for nothing -- the marketing ending in a dismal tv campaign with no thought behind it, several last minute release date changes, massive reshoots, the death of a star, and hardly a trailer in sight (under its "Curse" name change).

Definately a very flawed, yet ambitious film. I'd call this the most ambitious sequel, yet the most disappointing due to its slightly wasted ambition. The atmosphere is decent, the soundtrack a nice improvement over its counterpart, and the film generally means well. Conversely, the released version is a complete mess relying on over-the-top gore and implausable exploading heads.

By comparison, Halloween: Resurrection was a lazy mess and an ultimate failure from day 1, so it's no surprise that sucks. It's actually kind of disappointing here.

This film surprisingly wanted to be plot heavy, yet light on gore -- the direct opposite of the released version. What we have here is a film that means well, but never has a chance to go anywhere with its ambition. Along with Halloween 3, it displays some enthusiasm behind its ideas -- one that wants to mingle in the holiday mythology -- but ultimately leads to disappointment.

Pros (compared to the "Theatrical Version"): Better soundtrack; follows its predecessors better; Loomis plays a bigger role; added characterization; MTV atmosphere is gone and replaced with Halloween's; no quick cuts; better overall plot; a few nicely added scenes (the stalking around the school is a nice Halloween tribute).

Cons: The plot is still silly, but at least, makes sense here; offbeat rock-headed ending (literally, but once again, it makes sense following the plot); also, several useless paper-thin characters -- who also pervade the theatrical version -- with no purpose other than getting killed; problems with film direction at times.

IMO, Jamie's death suffers in both key versions -- she deserves better as she's the most important character in the series next to Laurie Strode and Dr. Loomis. Also, I never liked the Michael Myers' incest/baby subplot and found it tacky, ridiculous, and unneeded. It doesn't really serve much purpose: Michael spends a good part of the film trying to find the baby and kill him anyway.

Overall, Halloween 666: The Origin of Michael Myers/Halloween 6/Halloween 6: The Producers Cut (no matter which you choose) is one film in the series that deserved to be the most it could be, but ends up being a colossal failure. The Origin eases the pain.

C+

*Compared to Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (Theatrical released version) which I would give an F.

------------------------

Added Bonus -- For series fans:

Small scene that was canned from "Origin" and never made either version of "Cursed." It's just a slighty added dialogue moment, but nonetheless, interesting for series fans to see due to its rarity.

<object><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F70IEj_vE9Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:07 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Finally saw the producers cut to this film. Thank you youtube. It's kind of a whole different experience. It goes from 87 minutes to 140 minutes, and the first 55 minutes is actually pretty solid, maybe the most solid of all the sequels.

Donald Pleasance shines throughout the film, some decent if over the top deaths, and the thorn angle with the other other girl's son is rather intriguing. What kind of sucks though is everything else. Gaping plot holes throughout, the most stereotypical mean father and helpless mother. Awful secondary characters. I don't understand why Jamie couldn't be the lead. Interchange her with the other mother and son and the film itself has more heart. Paul Rudd and his obsession is interesting and it works. Halloween being banned works, a festival to bring it back is all there and interesting, but executed poorly.

The film tried to do the impossible of explaining 1 and 2 as well as 4 and 5, and add its own elements. It was just way too much for Akkad, who showed again with Resurrection and every time he has no star or talent attached. He is just not a good producer.

Regular version: D
Producers Cut: C+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:04 pm
Extraordinary

Nice atmosphere and interesting leads, but it's never ever scary and the story falls completely apart due to the reshoots. The cult idea was silly, but at least the Producer's Cut committed to it; the final film just drops it and devolves into random (literally -- people show up in act three just to be killed for no reason) slashing and a nonsensical ending.

The Producer's Cut is fanwank, but I enjoy it.

Theatrical Version: D
Producer's Cut: B-

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:17 pm
Wallflower

I hadn't seen the original theatrical version in many years but I remember it not being very impressive. Bought the Producer's Cut Blu-ray and finally watched it tonight. Since it had been so long since seeing the theatrical version I wasn't really sure what all of the differences were (outside of some obvious ones) but I do know I highly enjoyed it this time around. The quality was way better than I expected too. I thought some of the inserted footage was going to look bad but honestly I thought it looked great. As silly as the Thorn plot might be (though it comes off MUCH more tolerable in this cut) I wouldn't have minded seeing a direct sequel to this version with Rudd reprising his role as Tommy. I know it won't happen but it might have been cool to see. This should have been the version released from the beginning. A shame it wasn't. Anyone who hasn't seen this version yet should definitely check it out.

I think I gave the theatrical cut a C+ and I'd give this a B+.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:02 am
now we know

I like this film. Of all the ones post-78 but pre-H20, it is the best.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:45 am
Profile WWW

If Paul Rudd came back it would be incredible. His character was the most interesting, played written so bad you want to cry

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:49 am
The Kramer

I don't know if I can call Halloween 6 a good movie, there's alot to dislike, but it definitely has some interesting things going on it. Which is more than 5 can say. I liked the style of filming, looked like a 90s grunge music video, and quite frankly the story felt like a 90s grunge music video too. Again, maybe not the greatest, but infinitely better than what came before it. Plus it has Paul Rudd!

So I give Halloween 6 a 6/10.

Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]