Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Black Phone 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Black Phone 
now we know

Post The Black Phone

Quote:
The Black Phone is a 2021 American supernatural horror film directed by Scott Derrickson, written by Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill, and produced by Jason Blum. It is an adaptation of the 2004 short story of the same name by Joe Hill. It stars Mason Thames, Madeleine McGraw, Jeremy Davies, James Ransone, and Ethan Hawke. In the film, an abducted teenager (Thames) uses a mysterious phone to communicate with the previous victims of his captor (Hawke).

The Black Phone had its world premiere at Fantastic Fest on September 25, 2021, and is scheduled to be released in the United States on June 24, 2022, by Universal Pictures. The film received generally positive reviews from critics.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:50 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: The Black Phone
Much more of a coming of age suspense thriller ala It/Stranger Things than a straight up horror like Sinister. I kept expecting the story to go another level, but it never really had interest in explaining what the heck was going on with the ghosts or even The Grabber (Ethan Hawke is great though not in the movie as much as you'd hope.) What we got was a story about using the mistakes of the past to help block a seemingly inevitable hopeless future. Both of the kids play their parts great, especially the girl when she is yelling at the police. And it has a very crowd-pleasing ending, which is another thing that seperates it from Sinister.

B+

Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:35 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: The Black Phone
It's good. Madeleine McGraw was great and Ethan Hawke appropriately creepy. I thought it had one really suspenseful scene. I was grabbing my friend's arm I was so nervous. There's something missing that keeps it from being great though. Still definitely worth watching.

Though if anyone has been the victim of an abusive parent this could be pretty triggering. One scene was very hard to watch. The bullying scenes were pretty brutal too. I do appreciate that it didn't shy away from these things.

B

Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]