Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Elvis (2022) 

Grade:
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Elvis (2022) 
now we know

Post Elvis (2022)

Quote:
Elvis is a 2022 biographical musical drama film directed by Baz Luhrmann, who co-wrote the screenplay with Sam Bromell, Craig Pearce and Jeremy Doner, from a story by Luhrmann and Doner. It stars Austin Butler as Elvis Presley, with Tom Hanks, Helen Thomson, Richard Roxburgh, Olivia DeJonge, Luke Bracey, Natasha Bassett, David Wenham, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Xavier Samuel, and Kodi Smit-McPhee in supporting roles. The film is dedicated to the memory of the Ladd Company's founder, Alan Ladd Jr., who died in March 2022.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Elvis (2022)
It's a beautifully made movie and there are some spellbinding sequences. It's way too long though and overstays its welcome by the end. Austin Butler is fantastic.

Probably my least favorite Baz movie but I also don't really care about the subject matter. B

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:47 am
Profile YIM
Dont Mess with the Gez

Just saw it and have to say Austin Butler is truly exceptional in this. He elevates what could have been an average film full of Elvis impersonation rather than the embodiment he provides.

It’s a roller coaster of both emotions and quality however and some restraint from Baz would have been welcome. And I’m conflicted in how the film is framed around Col Parker’s viewpoint and to be honest - a little less Hanks/Parker would have been much much better.

Overall this is well worth seeing in a cinema.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:02 am
Extraordinary

I thought Austin Butler absolutely killed it. Definitely worthy of the hype.

The film itself... it's strange! Lol like I think the frantic editing and ehat not made the film go by fast for the first 2/3's but I think the framing of the narrative from the colonel's POV felt off.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:10 am
Hold the door!

Probably technically the best film of the year. Gorgeous production values and really strong performances. Could have been a bit shorter but I wasn't bored.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:13 am
Keeping it Light

Very good film from start to finish for me, runtime definitely not an issue, it flows really well and in essence it's not even enough time to fully capture Elvis' life and impact I feel. It's entertaining, Butler and Hanks are both very good, great use of music, boldening my conviction that Luhrmann is the best music film director working right now. It's an effective music star biopic, all around better than Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman. I'm just not sure it was the best choice to divide about as much time to Elvis as to his manager. It's very much a film about both here and though the manager may have really played a large part behind the screens for Elvis, his story, though also interesting (really never heard of him before), is just not as interesting as Elvis'.

B+

Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:30 am
Devil's Advocate

I think it suffers from the biopic challenge of having to cover a lot of ground in a short running time, a lot of his prime years, Pressley, the military, Hollywood, etc. has to be rushed (and on a small note, watching the Kennedys get shot on TV is reaching Uncle Ben/Batman's parents level). The second half is probably stronger as it slows down and focuses on Parker's exploitation. It might have been a better movie if they just started from Vegas on and then maybe had a few flashbacks, all the Parker stuff which is the story Baz seemed to want to tell can be condensed into that arc anyway.

Still Austin Butler is really fantastic and absolutely kills the sexuality of the singing scenes (especially the middle aged ones, I was initially thrown off by the ridiculousness of the first one, although it was a funny scene). I suspect he wins Best Actor and is the movie's legacy. I also think full evil Hanks has been underappreciated. I can see it aging well like DiCaprio in Django which initially got less appreciated than roles like Waltz and Jackson.

Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:22 am
Wallflower

This is way over-long and repetitive. It's too chaotic. Austin Butler was great but Tom Hanks is cringe-inducing. Why the fuck is he the protagonist anyway? The movie is called Elvis.

Honestly though I thought it would never end. I checked my phone a few times. There's not enough of a story on display to justify this length. There's definitely a story to be told but they just chose not to tell much of it. It's really only worth seeing for Butler's performance and even then I have to ask myself if that's enough of a reason to sit through it. It's not completely awful but I found it very messy.

I'd give it something like a C/C+.

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:50 pm
now we know

The film is flashy and slick, but over-edited. I suppose overall it was admirable but not excellent. It does all the things a biopic usually does, and should do. It shows the highs and the lows. It focuses on Elvis the star, not Elvis the musician-creator-spark behind the music, and thus it packs twenty years into two-and-a-half loooong hours which can feel like one never-ending montage when perhaps paying attention to how his creative side shaped his career would have been better. But it's pretty much all from the angle of how he was manipulated by his manager, played by an unconvincing Tom Hanks.

While I wasn't blown away by his performance, Austin Butler is impressive in parts. Though I felt the film totally ignored Elvis's cheeky side. I don't remember Butler once even smiling, just a few smirks but mostly expressionless, moody, and cool just like the image of Elvis has been since his death. His voice was spot-on, though I got the impression Butler or Luhrmann were afraid to deviate from poster boy Elvis, impersonator Elvis...legacy Elvis.

Overall, I'm not an Elvis fan. I love "Suspicious Minds" (alas I thought the Vegas sequence was the best part), but the rest of his aren't making my foot move. So this film wasn't able to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up like it has with many others, and because he never toured abroad I assume his star and nostalgia isn't as strong outside of the United States. It did, however, shed light on Elvis's roots which previously I did not know about.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

100% agree with Algren. Butler is quite good in general but yes, the real Elvis's obvious "good ole boy" jolliness is totally missing from Butler's portrayal. I like that the film really pushed the seriousness of a man who was fanatically driven to ensure his parents were never in poverty again, but the lack of joyfulness was pretty noticeable. Butler's vibe was a bit different than the one Elvis always seemingly projected. Butler feels restrained when Elvis always felt at complete ease with himself.

This is especially noticeable at the VERY end, when after 2 1/2 hours of Butler, we see a few seconds of the actual Elvis, who was frankly much more traditionally handsome than Butler and had a naturally infectious megawatt smile.

This felt much more like JP's good but not iconic turn as Johnny Cash than Jamie Foxx's mesmerizing turn as Ray.

Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:38 pm
now we know

Excel wrote:
100% agree with Algren. Butler is quite good in general but yes, the real Elvis's obvious "good ole boy" jolliness is totally missing from Butler's portrayal. I like that the film really pushed the seriousness of a man who was fanatically driven to ensure his parents were never in poverty again, but the lack of joyfulness was pretty noticeable. Butler's vibe was a bit different than the one Elvis always seemingly projected. Butler feels restrained when Elvis always felt at complete ease with himself.

This is especially noticeable at the VERY end, when after 2 1/2 hours of Butler, we see a few seconds of the actual Elvis, who was frankly much more traditionally handsome than Butler and had a naturally infectious megawatt smile.

Perfectly put, especially the bolded parts.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]