Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Jurassic World: Dominion 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8

Jurassic World: Dominion 
Keeping it Light

Post Jurassic World: Dominion

Quote:
Jurassic World: Dominion is a 2022 American science fiction action film directed by Colin Trevorrow, who wrote the screenplay with Emily Carmichael, based on a story by Trevorrow and his writing partner, Derek Connolly. It is the sequel to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018), the sixth installment in the Jurassic Park franchise, the final film in the Jurassic World trilogy, and the conclusion to the storyline started in the original Jurassic Park trilogy. As with its predecessors, Frank Marshall and Patrick Crowley produced the film with Trevorrow and Jurassic Park (1993) director Steven Spielberg acting as executive producers. The film stars an ensemble cast including Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, BD Wong, Omar Sy, Isabella Sermon, Justice Smith, and Daniella Pineda reprising their roles from previous films in the franchise, and they are joined by DeWanda Wise, Mamoudou Athie, Campbell Scott, Scott Haze, and Dichen Lachman. Dern, Goldblum and Neill reprise their roles from the Jurassic Park trilogy, appearing together for the first time since the 1993 film. The film is set four years after the events of Fallen Kingdom, with dinosaurs now living alongside humans around the world.

The film was being planned as early as 2014 as part of a future Jurassic World trilogy. Filming began in February 2020 but was suspended in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It resumed in July and concluded four months later. Filming locations included Canada, England's Pinewood Studios and the country of Malta.

Jurassic World: Dominion premiered in Mexico City on May 23, 2022, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on June 10, 2022 by Universal Pictures in IMAX, 4DX, RealD 3D, and Dolby Cinema. Unlike its two predecessors, Legendary Entertainment was not involved in the film's production as Universal ended their partnership with the company in 2019 after the expiration of their four-year deal.

Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:18 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Jurassic World Dominion
Neither good or awful... like a lot of threequels.

Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:21 am
Hold the door!

Really surprised I'm the second review for this. Feels like we used to get a lot more reviews for things a lot faster.

On first watch I liked it more than Lost World and Fallen Kingdom. Still not great but maybe about on par with three. I have to rewatch World and Fallen Kingdom because there was plot lines continued here I had no idea about. It was convoluted but not in a worse way than the majority of mediocre blockbusters are.

Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:13 pm
The Kramer

It's a messy good time. The two plotlines, Jurassic World cast and Jurassic Classic cast, feel so seperated from each other that it is jarring jumping back and forth between them for over half the movie. Yet both both stories provide exciting scenes with new dinosaurs, so I'm not sure what could have been cut to save time.

The eagerly anticipated feathered dinosaurs both have good showcases here. I wish there had been more of them. The Malta black market scene was straight out of Mission Impossible/Craig-era Bond. A globe hopping espionage thriller ... but with dinosaurs! Actually the whole movie kinda felt that way until they crash-landed in the new park, when it begins to feel more like Jurassic Park 3. Gigaknightasaurus (which is a really dumb name, do better science) gets a raw deal though. He's annoying, but definitely not a villain in the way Indominus was. So while it was cool to see Trex and Chickenswordasaurus bring him down, I wondered if he really deserved it?

So while I liked the action/fantasy parts of the film, it does fail in one big way - barely addressing the fact that dinosaurs living as invasive species amongst humans and other animals is completely fucking insane. There's no way humanity would let this happen, we suck way too much. The second a T-rex invades a movie theater (a scene in the trailers but cut from the movies) and eats a little kid, the worlds governments would have them all killed. Environmentalists would bitch about the unfairness of it all but do nothing about it. So maybe, to save time, they should have just cut the locust plotline and focused in on how and why we can co-exist with dinosaurs. Instead of creating a global famine, maybe Dodson (We've got Dodson here! see, nobody cares) really is just a guy with good intentions who does bad shit like kidnap cloned little girls and baby raptors to further his research.

I'm gonna go with B as my grade. I'll watch it again, which I haven't done with Fallen Kingdom. But still, its 'realistic' take on something that could never possibly happen just holds it down from standing (or roaring) with the apex of this franchise.

Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm
The Kramer

Blue, the best character in the World trilogy, getting sidelined for most of the movie was bullshit. She could have easily tagged along.

Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:51 pm
now we know

This film is so bad. We all thought Jurassic Park III was weak, then Dominion said "hold my beer". The film is a mess. Shoddily compiled, overly stuffed, illogical blockbuster noise. It resembles a Fast & Furious flick in how slapdash it is, and also reminded me a lot of Rise of Skywalker in how they both completely shat the bed in the third movie. So many of the film's problems come back to its shoddy foundation. Very basic decisions such as deciding this is to be more of a throwaway, burpy sendoff than a suspenseful blockbuster chapter, were just plain wrong. It was never given a chance.

The idea of dinosaurs living among us is simply way too big for a film like this to know how to handle, but besides that it was just awfully constructed. And I mean the actual action scenes, with amateur cuts, unimpressive CGI, illogical storytelling, generic music, and phoned-in performances (Pratt says his lines, does his postures, but he's a supporting player in what should be his franchise). I appreciated the new dinosaurs, but dinosaurs definitely take a backseat in this film and when they are shown it's at night so they're harder to see anyway. The film feels a step further away from dinosaurs and a step closer to a human science meddling movie, but still somehow with the backdrop of "We created dinosaurs again and, oops, it didn't work out, AGAIN!". It's a weird mix. There's so much here that it cannot breathe for a second. It's one big mess.

It's also another victim of the #BlackActorsMatter cartel pressure that has plagued movies, TV, even commercials in recent years, where every character that can be a black person is now a black person, and particularly if it's an authority figure. There are rules to this phenom, one of which is a black person cannot be a villain. Lo and behold the black villain in Dominion isn't actually a villain. He was a good guy all along, of course! And he's the smartest guy in the room. A fucking genius! Whereas the villain CEO is yet again Mr. Snow "Q-Tip" White, the power hungry maniac resembling a Tim Cook or a Steve Jobs. This film is so lazy and ugly, and worthless and forgettable. Nobody will grow up with fond memories of the first time they saw this pile of garbage. The Jurassic Park aura is well and truly ruined.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:58 am
Profile WWW

I also have next to no desire to see this movie, but honestly? If I was forced to choose? I would choose to see this over Lightyear

Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:29 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I’ve been twice to the drive-in watching films other than this. But every time I looked over to this it looked bland, boring or ridiculous. If anything it looked like there is hardly any major Dino scenes. This should have been a slam dunk. Looks like Treverrow’s a hack.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:35 am
Forum General

Post Re: Jurassic World: Dominion
I was disappointed. The two franchises actors didn't fit together. I didn't care about Sattler and Grant and all their drama. Malcolm was just there. The two most likeable/interesting characters were Kayla and Maisie. How is that possible? I also found the sound kind of sharp a few times, it didn't work for me.

This isn't Jurassic Park 3 bad for me though. That movie had HORRIBLE acting and a terrible, cringeworthy script. At least this didn't end so rushed and weird. And no gymnastics.

Still, not good.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I enjoyed it more than expected actually, probably because I went in with rock bottom expectations. I dug seeing the original cast again and some of the action sequences were quite well done (I actually really dug the Malta scene). The creature effects were also some of the best since the first.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Campbell Scott's performance though - it is Razzie worthy. He is laughably bad.

I'd give this a B.

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:38 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

I also wasn't expecting much with tepid reviews and I ended up not hating it at all, but yeah, this film like Fallen Kingdom isn't close to offering any dino magic. The dino visuals are probably the best ever and there are still some really nice dino shots and moments in it, but they're overrun by perhaps the worst human element(s) in the whole franchise so far. The "steve jobs" character feels so unoriginal and unneeded, for a Jurassic film to have the main threat not be a predator is just not right. The plot of engineered locusts and the clone girl is just dull. The original cast of Neil, Dern and Goldblum I enjoyed and in the end the dino action is still mostly entertaining to make it at least watchable and more enjoyable than FK. As a franchise however they should let it rest, with Dominion being a poor standard and perhaps in the future they can come up with something better and creative again.

C+

Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]