Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Emily The Criminal 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Emily The Criminal 
Wallflower

Post Emily The Criminal

Quote:
Emily the Criminal is a 2022 American crime drama film written and directed by John Patton Ford. It stars Aubrey Plaza, Theo Rossi, Megalyn Echikunwoke and Gina Gershon. It premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2022, and was released in the United States on August 12, 2022, by Vertical Entertainment and Roadside Attractions.

Mon May 30, 2022 3:00 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Emily The Criminal
I enjoyed this immensely. Aubrey Plaza is great. Probably not great enough to make my Best Actress line-up at the end of the year but it's another strong performance from her. Maybe it's the L.A. setting or the plot involving criminal behavior but at times this reminded me of Drive. Even the score seemed similar at times. Not trying to oversell it though. It's mainly just little similarities. This is nowhere near as artsy or brutal as that film.

While it's unlikely this does very much at the box office when it comes out in August it really is one I believe audiences would enjoy a lot. I hope it gets a decent enough push from Roadside Attractions. It's almost too bad it wasn't picked up by A24. They would have given it a wide release with a proper push I believe.

I'll likely see this again when it's officially released.

A-

Mon May 30, 2022 3:14 pm
now we know

This is a great little crime thriller. It has flavourings of Uncut Gems, Aubrey Plaza is finally starting to drop the awkward indie girl vibe, and it also highlights the student debt conundrum and impossible situation of many graduates in a high supply, low demand work environment. The ending is a little suspicious how she escapes to South America while the police clearly know who she is, but I'll let that slide because the film already earned my appreciation.

I also noticed the similarity to Drive, but it's literally just the one piece of music near the end. It sounds similar to "Rubber Head" from Drive. I wouldn't say the rest of the film shares much else, though.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Though it's pretty much a by the books film, it comes with good execution and Plaza is an appealing and relatable lead. Pacing and score are very solid and it's just well rounded all together.

B

Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]