Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Everything Everywhere All at Once 

Rate this film:
A 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Everything Everywhere All at Once 
Keeping it Light

Post Everything Everywhere All at Once

Quote:
Everything Everywhere All at Once is a 2022 American science fiction action comedy film written and directed by Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert. The film stars Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu, Jenny Slate, Harry Shum Jr., James Hong, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Everything Everywhere All at Once had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 11, 2022. It began a limited theatrical release in the United States on March 25, 2022, and is scheduled for a wide release on April 8, 2022, by A24.

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:26 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Thought this was absolutely fantastic.

Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:28 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Michelle Yeoh and Stephanie Hsu give strong performances here, particularly the latter who this should be a breakout for. That's about all I can say I enjoyed about this unbelievably stupid and borderline torturous slog. God help us if this horrid directing team gets a Marvel movie from this mess since the entire thing feels like a Marvel audition video. The universal acclaim baffles me. I wanted to die during the hot dog and raccoon scenes. D+

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:30 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

This movie is a miracle. I don’t know what to say about it yet except that you should absolutely go see it.

Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:28 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I want someone else to see this and hate it so I'm not alone :lol:

I realized I gave the Daniels' last film the same grade exactly. This was better than that one at least.

Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:29 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

I LOVED this. LOVED it. Incredibly stimulating and rewarding. Audacious and extremely cinematic. The film, living up to its title, is a kaleidoscope of genres and details. I was bowled over by how funny it was in one moment (Racacoonie! Hot Dog Fingers!) and then deeply poignant just minutes later. What a pleasure to see Michelle Yeoh in a role this complex and (literally) multi dimensional. It would be awesome if she can get some awards love out of this. Stephanie Hsu and Ke Huy Quan are also superb, while Jamie Lee Curtis relishes the opportunity to go full bureaucratic frump.

When it ended, and I had had a moment to collect myself from the emotional whirlwind of it all, I knew I immediately wanted to see it again to pick up on more of the details I had missed.

A

Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:25 pm
Wallflower

I honestly thought I was going to find this annoying and wasn't looking forward to it. But I was surprised by how terrific it was. I was engaged right off the bat. It's not totally perfect. It is exhaustingly chaotic. I just wanted it to slow down at times. Especially in the last hour. It didn't bother me so much at first but the fight scenes eventually got old and felt repetitive. I did check my phone a couple times in the last hour. But it's still a wonderful film and incredibly inventive. It's also really funny. I laughed a lot. The performances are great too. Particularly Michelle Yeoh and Stephanie Hsu but I also thought Ke Huy Quan was really good. It really is something special and an instant classic. This will most definitely get a bunch of Oscar nominations and it totally deserves them.

9/10

Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:18 am
Extraordinary

This was really good. The rock scene was my favorite. It could have gone really badly but worked.

Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This movie was interesting but incredibly hard to follow. I will need to watch it again or something.

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:31 am
The Kramer

A very grounded movie about skipping across the multiverse. It's very impressive and I give the Daniels a ton of credit for pulling it off. Especially the editing near the end. Keeping that coherent and emotional was a brilliant stroke.

Yet ... at the time ... if this movie had a face it would be all like "hey look at how clever I am" and that kind of obnoxiousness makes it difficult to like at certain points. Things that should be gut-busting hilarious, like talking rocks or an everything bagel, earn little more than a roll of the eyes. I guess that is to be expected from people who think they are cool enough to get away with calling themselves Daniels in the first place. They probably verse-jumped a universe where people can easily suck their own dicks.

So yeah, it's like an Adult Swim version of the modern superhero. The Matrix with a Mom. A must watch for any movie fan, but maybe a little overhyped.

B/B+ish

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:16 pm
now we know

It goes on a bit. I was over it by about the halfway mark. I enjoyed it for the most part, particularly how it builds early on, but then it becomes a tad bloated, trying to be too clever. It is over-ambitious, in my opinion, and uses a lot of the same techniques over and over, and by the end of it, I'm sorry to say that I felt it was just being weird for the sake of it. And I know Michelle Yeoh is getting plaudits for her performance, but I feel Ke Huy Quan and Jamie Lee Curtis were better. Yeoh does a lot of staring into space, which anyone can do. But from a technical perspective it sure does the business. It's just I felt it was bombarding me with too much in order to get to its meaning.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:49 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Mother of god.

A+

A masterpiece

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:38 am
Devil's Advocate

It could have possibly have breathed a bit with a few less fight scenes and been shorter,, but on the whole, I have to appreciate the insane creativity and it brings it home emotionally with the daughter by the end, and stuff like the hot dog finger world and Racacoonie were actually used for emotional weight instead of just randomlolz for its own sake. Ke Huy Quan was probably my favorite performance in the movie.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:44 am
Indiana Jones IV

I've never been so deeply impacted by a movie as I was with Everything Everywhere All At Once. Truly an unprecedented marvel, an uncompromisingly unique vision, and an irreplaceable masterpiece. I was genuinely sobbing, messily, in the theater, such is the deep emotional resonance and message of meaning/meaninglessness, love, connection... Absurdly, the movie had me laughing in incredulous awe as much as it had me ooh-ing and ahh-ing and crying my big feeling softie buddy heart out.... The three family members give us the best performances of the year, Stephanie Hsu the best of them.

Perhaps one could clomp boringly into the experience with the 'superior' eye of a critic and find that it does indeed have flaws, perhaps in its excessiveness, bombast, or tone.... but for me, it's the best movie I've ever seen and I offer no apologies for hyperbole.

It's a movie experience for the ages and a much needed breath of life into the industry, even the art form---so commonly beleaguered by the recycling of familiar tropes. How precious to experience something so unabashedly heartfelt and new, something so messily gorgeously human.

A+

Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:37 am
Keeping it Light

Late to this party, but excellent! Quite impressed with how they interweaved multiverse stuff and family drama and the main cast is fantastic. The family drama in itself is a bit basic and telling that story straight up would make this unremarkable but it really found a way of making itself stand out. From the way they summon different skills to bits like the raccoon chef it's either well done or funny. Only the fight choreography, especially considering for how much it features, is not that good actually. But it's easily offset by the other stuff, the messaging, though idealistic, and the score are also very good.

A-

Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]