Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 King Richard 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

King Richard 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post King Richard
Quote:
King Richard is a 2021 American biographical drama film directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green and written by Zach Baylin, and follows the life of Richard Williams, the father and coach of famed tennis players Venus and Serena Williams. It stars Will Smith in the title role, Aunjanue Ellis, Saniyya Sidney, Demi Singleton, Tony Goldwyn, and Jon Benthal.

It had its world premiere at the 48th Telluride Film Festival on September 2, 2021, and will be followed by a theatrical release on November 19, 2021, by Warner Bros. Pictures and on the HBO Max streaming service on the same day. The film received positive reviews with Smith's performance garnering universal acclaim.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:42 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: King Richard
I really enjoyed this. Will Smith was great, as was the entire cast. A-

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

This was really heartwarming and Will Smith was great. Too bad it's on HBO Max. Could've done well.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:45 pm
Quality is a great business plan

I had a blast watching this as well. Smith and supporting cast were great and I like the way movie ended as well. Will Smith should be among favorites to win BA Oscar.

I used to be shawman.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:54 am
The Kramer

I liked this one!

Being a very casual tennis person, the only things about this story I knew going in were A) they were from Compton and B) Serena is Awesome. So keeping the focus on Venus and the dad made this a mostly new story for me and I really enjoyed walking through it. It often does not feel like a typical oscair bait biopic that is just running through famous moments while the writers check boxes (though I did cringe anytime a powerful, usually white, man told Will Smith "That's Not The Way Things Are Done!" - very baity and it does happen a lot.) It mostly felt like a natural story, and while these filmmakers obviously had a positive view of what Richard did, you could easily see this movie going the other way - a dark and depressing tale about a suffocating father who exploits his children for his own gain. I'm glad they didn't go that route though. It would have spoiled the eventual Lavar Ball movie. And made King Richard much less enjoyable to watch.

A very strong B+. Maybe it'll rise to an A- one day.

Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:47 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Great movie and I'm glad that it focuses on Venus. It doesn't do much tennis which is great. Will smith is mesmerising in this and Saniyya Sidney gives a star making performance. I'm not sure why Aunjanue Ellis is getting so much attention for this.

B+

Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am
Devil's Advocate

Very solid, they did a good job of showing it's not so much about Richard that it becomes insulting to the sisters, but the movie still being built around him. I found Richard hard to take in the 2nd act and feels like they may have succeeded in spite of his insistence to leave them out of juniors and not because of it, but I think that's the point. I would be ok with Smith Oscar win. The girl who played Venus was great as well.

Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]