Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dear Evan Hansen 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Dear Evan Hansen 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Dear Evan Hansen
Quote:
Dear Evan Hansen is a 2021 American coming-of-age musical teen drama film directed by Stephen Chbosky from a screenplay by Steven Levenson. It is based on the 2015 stage musical of the same name by Levenson, Benj Pasek, and Justin Paul. Ben Platt plays the title role, reprising the performance that he originated on stage. The film's ensemble cast also includes Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Kaitlyn Dever, Amandla Stenberg, Nik Dodani, Danny Pino, and Colton Ryan.

Dear Evan Hansen held its world premiere at the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival on September 9, 2021 as its Opening Night Gala Presentation, and was theatrically released in the United States on September 24, 2021 by Universal Pictures. The film received generally negative reviews from critics, who criticized the direction, screenplay, and the casting of then 27-year-old Platt as a high school student, though some performances of the supporting cast did receive praise.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:03 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Dear Evan Hansen
Not good. The use of music may work on stage but here it reaaaally doesn't work. Some scenes are laughable. Ben Platt's performance is fine but the backlash of him playing this role now is warranted. Aside from the material he just doesn't work as a teen.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:06 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I agree the use of music felt really awkward in most scenes here in particular some of the drama scenes the music instead of complementing generates a cringe. I found Ben Platt great in this but I do agree he does not look like a teen. The spring cast is all good in here but most of them felt wasted here aside from one or two scenes. Amy Adams tries hard with non verbal expressions throughout, Moore has one song towards the end. Direction is very pedestrian and the story does not come full circle, specially because redemption felt rushed towards the end.

C

Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:53 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm disappointed to hear this isn't good. I loved the musical - it made me cry and Ben Platt's performance really was incredible. I still plan on seeing it with lowered expectations, probably tomorrow.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:43 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Oh, I really loved this. It wasn't as good as the stage show but captured a lot of the same beats and heart. I don't understand the massive critical vitriol. I thought the entire cast was great, particularly Kaitlyn Dever, Amy Adams (whose character has a much bigger role here than in the stage play) and Julianne Moore. Also really liked Amandla Stenberg and her new song. I love the music of this show so all the musical sequences were great for me - "You Will Be Found" is such a showstopper on stage and made me tear up in this version. Also Ben Platt wasn't perfect or as outstanding as he was onstage (and honestly it really was a performance for the ages, I still talk about it), but I still bought him in this role and didn't find his casting distracting. People were definitely being too mean about him and this film in general. I'll be watching again for sure. A-

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:53 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

The plot of this film is so preposterous, it would've made more sense as a comedy or a horror film to be honest. It doesn't work as a straight drama, it's just too ridiculous that he could get away with this and have so little of a comeuppance. The Murphys should've gotten a restraining order.

Ben Platt also can't close up emote, he has the same expression in every scene and his performance acting wise is atrocious. Supporting cast was good, but they can't elevate this.

I actually have had the soundtrack grow on me, but unfortunately the plot and main character really don't work

Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]