Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dune (2021) 

Rate this film:
A 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Dune (2021) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Dune (2021)
Quote:
Dune (titled onscreen as Dune: Part One) is a 2021 American epic science fiction film directed by Denis Villeneuve with a screenplay by Jon Spaihts, Villeneuve, and Eric Roth. It is the first of a planned two-part adaptation of the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert, which covers roughly the first half of the book. The film stars an ensemble cast including Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, and Javier Bardem.

Dune premiered at the 78th Venice International Film Festival on September 3, 2021. Warner Bros. Pictures theatrically released the film internationally on September 15, 2021, and then in the United States on October 22, where it will have a simultaneous release on the HBO Max streaming service for 31 days.

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Dune (2021)
This was good just not great. There are a LOT of visuals throughout the movie and its scope is as big as you can imagine yet the storytelling needed more refinement and little more excitement. When the action is in place is elaborative and stunning but most of the movie is about characters though I was expecting a fast-paced actioner here instead this is another Blade Runner 2049. I just wish it got to the point quickly at 2hours and 36 minutes I just felt checked-out at a lot of places. You can easily take elaborate breaks and come back with the same scene running. In terms of building relations only Fergusson and Chamalat are explored enough the rest are there but for a movie that demands so much time from audience I would have expected more from character building aspect.

Acting wise everyone is at the top of their game. Zendaya has very little to do here but her scenes are the ones that bring life to the movie but by then we have reached the end of part one.

B-

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 pm
We had our time together

One of the 'biggest' movies I've ever seen, for sure. If you're going to watch this, it better be on an IMAX screen in 3D. I can't put in words how much I hate day & date streaming.

I enjoyed every second of Dune and thought it moved at a great pace. I expected it to be much slower. It's visuals are out of this world and I'm definately going to check it out on the big screen again very soon.

They better greenlight Part Two very soon. Otherwise, this will feel incomplete as hell and that would be a shame.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

It's 'out there' (someone filmed it in a theatre in Italy lmao) and I caved in just to watch the box scene to compare it to the Lynch version and, although I know it's in ultra low res shitty camcorder in a theatre quality, I have to say I actually preferred the baroque Lynch take, it had more mystery and gravitas to it. This one seemed rather rushed and the significance of the test didn't seem as apparent. I kind of wish Villenueve had just recreated it word for word because that's one thing Lynch got really right.

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:42 pm
Hold the door!

The Lynch version is unwatchable, this better not be worse.

Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:58 am
now we know

Zendaya fans are going to be pissed. She doesn't show up until the 130-minute mark. She's in it before, but only as 3-4 visions. As an actual character, she doesn't appear until the final ten minutes, and she has 2-3 lines of dialogue.

Anyway, as for the film, it's a bore. In the first 70 minutes, they cracked the cure for insomnia. Then some action happens, but it's all so dark and nerdy I was so far from being invested in any of it. I'm not a fan of pretty much all of it. This Middle East-flavoured tribal-mining sci-fi conflict, with its veils and scriptures and prophecy and sand (so much sand), it's trying so hard to be mature with a capital M that it alienated me immediately. Not that I wanted gags left-right-and-center, but this film acts as though it's Biblical. It doesn't put a step wrong and therefore doesn't create any enjoyment. Visually I also found the film quite bland with its greys and browns. I got the impression it was using overbearing sound to convince people that what they are seeing is epic, but it didn't bowl me over.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Algren wrote:
Zendaya fans are going to be pissed. She doesn't show up until the 130-minute mark. She's in it before, but only as 3-4 visions. As an actual character, she doesn't appear until the final ten minutes, and she has 2-3 lines of dialogue.

Anyway, as for the film, it's a bore. In the first 70 minutes, they cracked the cure for insomnia. Then some action happens, but it's all so dark and nerdy I was so far from being invested in any of it. I'm not a fan of pretty much all of it. This Middle East-flavoured tribal-mining sci-fi conflict, with its veils and scriptures and prophecy and sand (so much sand), it's trying so hard to be mature with a capital M that it alienated me immediately. Not that I wanted gags left-right-and-center, but this film acts as though it's Biblical. It doesn't put a step wrong and therefore doesn't create any enjoyment. Visually I also found the film quite bland with its greys and browns. I got the impression it was using overbearing sound to convince people that what they are seeing is epic, but it didn't bowl me over.

Interesting take.

I cant say I'm overly excited for it and this review compounds my suspicions.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:25 pm

I know I will like it out of sheer joy of seeing the world brought to life in a proper mega budget adaptation, but it sounds like some of the issues people have are mostly related to it being anti climactic. A lot of the really cool stuff happens in the second half of the book. Maybe making it a 3hr movie instead that deals with the entire first novel would've been a better idea.

I still feel like this will do ok enough for a part 2 and people will really 'get it' then. Because some of the stuff that happens in book 2 is EPIC and extremely fast paced and exciting. The next book, Dune Messiah, is also much shorter and adaptation-friendly IMO. We could get a great trilogy out of it even if part 1 is a bit of a non event.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:13 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I think WB are indicating they'll move ahead with the second regardless of BO.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yep its a guarantee to get part 2 at this point plus its OS numbers are good.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:10 pm
Hold the door!

I really liked it. Need to read the book again.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:48 pm
Hold the door!

Don't know how general audiences will like it. It's dense, but then again so are Christopher Nolan movies, and the Matrix trilogy, and audiences ate those up.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:58 pm
Extraordinary

Overall I thought it was a solid watch. Character and story I was kinda indifferent but the whole cast was good and some good sequences.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwackerm wrote:
Don't know how general audiences will like it. It's dense, but then again so are Christopher Nolan movies, and the Matrix trilogy, and audiences ate those up.

Yes this is exactly like Nolan movies and Matrix trilogy :funny:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:42 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Overall I thought it was a solid watch. Character and story I was kinda indifferent but the whole cast was good and some good sequences.

Do you think it will be a solid rewatch (multiple times)?

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:42 am
The Kramer

I liked it but was still disappointed. The movie moves so slow, but at the same time it still feels kinda rushed? I think they could have finished the book in one movie with another 30-40 minutes and some changes to the pacing.

I should have seen it in theaters, and perhaps I'll give it a second chance. Those visuals and sound = :shock: .

B for now.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:30 pm
Superfreak

sorry but this was so boring and zendaya fans will be pissed.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:10 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I enjoyed it more on my second viewing at home when I can pause at times.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:27 am
The Kramer

I think Zendaya fans will be satisfied with all the scenes of Timothee without a shit on. :funny:

That being said, since they were splitting it up anyways, I think they could have added an extra scene or two where Zendaya and Mamoa were hanging out before the rest of House Atreides got there. Or just replace the Shadow Mapes scene.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:27 pm
Romosexual!

A+ :D love it! It lived up to the hype

DUNE part 1 DEMANDS a part 2 and I have faith it’s coming.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Really enjoyed it. Only real complaint is that it wasn't longer, really. If you go over 2.5 hours, just go ahead and do 3 hours to flesh things out some more. I haven't read the book (not much of a sci-fi reader), but will likely buy it (them) now in order to learn more about the world. The score is pretty good, too, even if they overuse the female vocal track.

B+/A-

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Excel it's definitely not the fastest paced action film of all time but its not BORING. Everyone I know who has seen it has liked it, whether they read the book or not.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Here I thought that you knew Excel a little bit :P

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

yeah only complaint is that it wasn't long enough.

someone said this is Game of Thrones + Star Wars and I was worried cuz I hate star wars. Nothing like those movies other than space stuff. much closer to the quality of GoT.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Finally watched it and this was spectacular. Some of the most amazing sights ever put to screen. Acting stellar across the board, especially Rebecca and Timothee. Captured the spirit of the book and even improved on certain sections, like having Jessica break down while Paul is being tested instead of only focusing on him, and Liet murder-suiciding via sandworm (EPIC moment) instead of just walking into the desert.

My chief complaint is that too much time was spent on the pointless slo mo shots of Zendaya smiling in the sun when they could've fleshed out certain relationships a bit more, especially between Leto and Jessica. For example, the fact that she bore a son on purpose to give him an heir out of love was glossed over when it's a pretty critical part of their relationship. It also felt like the grief over losing Leto came and went pretty quickly.

Nitpicking though, because this was truly the adaptation Dune fans were waiting for. If they don't make a sequel it will be one of the biggest injustices in film history.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next