Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Hangover 

What grade would you give this film?
A 61%  61%  [ 23 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 38

The Hangover 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post The Hangover
The Hangover

Quote:
The Hangover (advertised in some European countries as Very Bad Trip) is a 2009 American comedy film directed by Todd Phillips and written by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore. The film stars Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Heather Graham, Justin Bartha and Jeffrey Tambor.

It follows the characters of Phil (Cooper), Stu (Helms) and Alan (Galifanakis) who awake in Las Vegas after a bachelor party to find they have no memory of the previous night's events and are missing their friend Doug (Bartha) whose wedding is scheduled to occur the next day. The story was partially inspired by the filmmakers' real-life misadventures.

The Hangover was filmed on a budget of $35 million and was released in North America on June 5, 2009, becoming a critical and commercial success. It became the tenth highest-grossing film of 2009, with a worldwide gross of over US$467 million. The film won the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, and received multiple other accolades.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:04 pm
Star Trek XI

Post Re: The Hangover
Todd Phillips, I take my "hands" off to you. This movie was hilarious. The funniest of the year.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

It's hateful and ugly and not nearly funny enough. Plus, it's terribly cast; the uncharismatic leads simply can't carry a film.

Kinda hated it.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm
College Boy T

I think I would've enjoyed this more had I been with a sold-out crowd (rather than a noon-ish crowd).

It's okay. I admire the plot (I can totally relate to this) and the clever scenarios/set-up. Nonetheless, I generally found myself chuckling rather than laughing-out-loud (though, again, I probably would've laughed-out-loud with a livelier crowd).

The good: The Mike Tyson cameo, the three main characters are well-developed, no corny heart melting Apatow ending, the reference/homage to Old School at the end, most of the comedy works without exhaustive build-up

The bad: The chinese mafia character is funny but over-the-top (as if borrowed from Dude, Where's My Car?), there's some pokey segments, and the interactions b/w the male leads are not as rich as the exchanges in Wedding Crashers or I Love You, Man.

***-ish

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:32 pm
Sbil

This movie is uproarious. I'm trying to remember the last time I laughed so much in a movie theater...maybe Superbad? It's really just very balls out and WTF is this? at so many points that you feel like you're uncovering the mystery of the drunken night in Vegas with the rest of the character. No one in this movie is a big star but the cast all certainly understand comedic timing...Bradley Cooper (who has always been INCREDIBLY GOOD LOOKING and I don't understand why this is his first lead role) avoids making his character an asshole, Ed Helms' henpecked character is hilarious, and Zach Galifianakis' performance is so wonderfully strange. It felt so good to see this film and just unwind...it's really, really funny. A-

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:47 pm
Romosexual!

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

funniest comedy of the year

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:02 am
Extraordinary

The Hangover is the $1.98 Memento!

...and I mean that in the best way.

A very ingenious device on which to hang the comic flesh of this ribald mystery.

It is very funny, very darkly funny, very dar... actually it's kinda creepy... ... ...but only because it's real.

The two leads were great - - Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis were simply hilarious - - brilliant work. And they were ably supported by Mike Tyson (!), Heather Graham (boobies!), Justin Bartha, and Rob Riggle. Bradley Cooper, as usual, was along for the ride with his idiotic grinnin' and posin' - - he's a waste of space.

The closing credits' photo montage will certainly be dissected in years to come, but on first viewing it was stunningly hard core black humor of the highest grade - - the audience laughed and gasped in equal measure.

This is a fine, fine movie - - a new comedy classic is born unto the world today.

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:29 am
College Boy Z

Easily the funniest movie I've seen since like Superbad.

I lost it in so many scenes. The wedding singer (from Old School and Starsky & Hutch), the pictures in the end credits, almost everything Alan said, the cop who had the kids taser the guys (the cop was also ridiculously hilarious in Step Brothers, too), etc.

I wanna see it again ASAP. The more I think about it, the more hilarious it is.

***½

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:40 am
College Boy T

I need to see it again, obviously.

I had a bad crowd. :(

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:49 am
Extraordinary

torrino wrote:
I need to see it again, obviously.

I had a bad crowd. :(

My crowd was pumped!!!

The super positive ambient crowd energy (SPACE™) was palpable...

:hahaha:

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:55 am
Devil's Advocate

Started off a bit weak, but everything after the hangover starts is pure gold. In fact I'd say it gets steadily funnier as it goes along, crescendoing in the Omar Epps cameo and the photo end credits. I lost it when those elevator shots came up.

Having an R rated comedy that doesn't have the Apatow feel and castmembers is just refreshing at this point. It'll be hard for a comedy to top this in 09.

5/5

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:11 am
The Lubitsch Touch

ugh

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:32 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

This movie will have been forgotten in 2 weeks.. A Wedding Crashers wannabe and you folks are easily pleased.. The wrong movie won this weekend and it was The Hangover

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:04 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Magnus wrote:
yoshue wrote:
ugh

You know if you rearrange ugh you get hug. Which is something you probably need if you hated this film.

It's so nasty and unpleasant and stupid. And I'm pretty sure Todd Phillips is a raging mysogynist. I felt really sad in the aftermath of the screening. MOOD KILLER

Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:19 am
Sbil

MR. GREEN wrote:
This movie will have been forgotten in 2 weeks.. A Wedding Crashers wannabe and you folks are easily pleased.. The wrong movie won this weekend and it was The Hangover

So Land of the Lost "deserved" to be #1 instead? I'm guessing the only reason you feel The Hangover doing so well is an injustice is because you didn't expect it to happen, since it's not like you actually saw it.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:13 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

One of the funniest movies I've seen in YEARS.

***.5/****

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:32 am
College Boy Z

MR. GREEN wrote:

You didn't even see Land of the Lost. What makes you think that should have been #1?

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:46 pm
Extraordinary

Don't get him started in here, Zing - - let's keep these review threads relatively pure - - he's already got specific threads elsewhere to rant about the unfairness of the world in not agreeing with him about movies he hasn't seen...

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:22 pm
College Boy Z

Facts.

P.S., when I scroll down this thread, all I see of Libs' review is RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING and A-. I assume you're talking about Alan.

Which completely reminded of the line that part where the cop says, "your turn, good lookin'" (for tasering), Alan starts to walk up, and he's like "not you, hairy Jesus" or something. I wanna remember that line so bad.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:56 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

A hetero-centric R-rated adult comedy that I actually enjoyed! very very funny. And to reiterate Libs' comment: Bradley Cooper is just delightful!

And so much dick in this movie which was very surprising!

Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:04 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Zingaling wrote:
Facts.

P.S., when I scroll down this thread, all I see of Libs' review is RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING and A-. I assume you're talking about Alan.

Which completely reminded of the line that part where the cop says, "your turn, good lookin'" (for tasering), Alan starts to walk up, and he's like "not you, hairy Jesus" or something. I wanna remember that line so bad.

He called him fat jesus.

Because regular jesus WAS hairy.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:33 pm
College Boy Z

Munksyuk wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Facts.

He called him fat jesus.

Because regular jesus WAS hairy.

Ya, ya, ya. I couldn't remember the line and plugged in anything.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 pm
Sbil

Zingaling wrote:
Facts.

I said "INCREDIBLY GOOD LOOKING," actually. And I was, of course, referring to Bradley Cooper.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:08 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Bradley Cooper looked disconcertingly like Peter Facinelli in this movie. Also, he seemed to still be playing that scumbag from Wedding Crashers...great choice, goofball.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:47 pm
He didn't look busy?!

it's far from perfect, but it's the hardest I've laughed during a movie since I saw Superbad. There are literally no jokes in the film that aren't worthy of at least a chuckle. Considering how funny I thought the Mike Tyson cameo was gonna be (and it was about as funny as I expected), I'm surprised to say that it wasn't even close to being the funniest part of the movie. I felt a bit messed up myself by the time it ended (I'm guessing Phillips was going for that), because of how relentlessly funny and chaotic it was. The only things I would've changed were allowing for a little more chemistry between those guys (the idea was supposed to be that the chemistry all happened the night before, so I guess that was impossible) and for more of a glimpse into their drunken escapades (but those credits almost made up for it). Can't wait to see it again, probably in theaters.

A-

Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next