Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Zack Snyder's Justice League 

Rate this film:
A 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
B 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Zack Snyder's Justice League 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Zack Snyder's Justice League
Quote:
Zack Snyder's Justice League, often referred to as the "Snyder Cut", is the 2021 director's cut of the 2017 American superhero film Justice League. It presents Justice League—the fifth film of the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) and based on the DC Comics superhero team of the same name—as director Zack Snyder had intended it before he left the production. Like the theatrical release, Zack Snyder's Justice League follows the Justice League—Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), Cyborg (Ray Fisher), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), and the Flash (Ezra Miller)—as they attempt to save the world from the catastrophic threat of Steppenwolf (Ciarán Hinds), Darkseid (Ray Porter), and their army of Parademons.

Justice League, released by Warner Bros. in 2017, suffered a difficult production. Its script underwent major changes before and during production between 2016 and 2017. In May 2017, Snyder stepped down during post-production following the death of his daughter, and Joss Whedon was hired to finish the film, completing it as an uncredited director. Whedon oversaw reshoots and other changes that incorporated a brighter tone and more humor, and cut the runtime down significantly in accordance with a mandate from Warner Bros. The theatrical Justice League received mixed reviews and was a box-office bomb, leading Warner Bros. to re-evaluate the future of the DCEU and focus development on individual films.

As details surfaced about the film's troubled production and its state before Snyder stepped down, many fans expressed interest in an alternate cut more faithful to Snyder's vision. Fans and members of the cast and crew petitioned for the release of this, which they nicknamed the Snyder Cut. At the time, industry insiders regarded the release as unlikely. However, Warner Bros. decided to move ahead with it in February 2020; in May, Snyder announced that the original cut would be released as Zack Snyder's Justice League via the streaming service HBO Max. It cost around $70 million to complete the visual effects, score, and editing, with new material filmed in October 2020. The cut was originally planned to be released as both a miniseries and a four-hour film, but plans for the miniseries were scrapped by January 2021. The film is dedicated to the memory of Snyder's daughter, Autumn.

Zack Snyder's Justice League was released via HBO Max on March 18, 2021. Critics generally considered the film an improvement over the 2017 theatrical release.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:26 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Zack Snyder's Justice League
It’s a much longer version of the same movie with almost all of the same problems. I expected this, and I also expect everyone and their mamas will get exactly what they were expecting out of this movie too. So DC fans will get the masterpiece they dreamed of while the DC doubters will get the proof it was shit all along.

The first three hours of the movie are mostly improved, but can also be brutally slow at times. What was with the slow motion scene of Aquaman going into the waves? Despite some improvements in other areas like Steppenwolf’s motivation and actually making Cyborg a character, I was ready to declare this a disaster and complain about all the better ways this money could have been spent.

But then they fixed the final battle and it was totally awesome. Not only did it look so much better, but it actually felt like a team effort rather than everyone, including the audience, waiting around for Superman show up. So who cares if the previous three hours were mostly lame? There is satisfaction where there was not before, and that makes it worth the investment.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:54 am
The Kramer

Did they really need to end the movie with another prophetic dream for an Injustice movie that will likely never with happen with this cast?

The MM tease I get and it was neat.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:59 am
Extraordinary

I was too distracted thinking about the 2017 version and which scenes were from there but overall I'm satisfied and happy for Zack. Some of the changes Joss made were so awful jesus christ.

It didn't really feel like 4 hours to me. Ugh lemme get some sleep and will probably watch it again this weekend.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:34 am
Forum General

Issues aside and trust me I still have alot of them with this movie I honestly did mostly really enjoy it, especially the stuff with Steppenwolf, Cyborg and even The Flash to a degree. Darkseid was cool too, but if you've seen the trailers you would know that pretty much all of his scenes have been spoiled already and there was still not nearly enough use of Supes IMO.

The action sequences are alot better though and I am so glad that they removed certain things that I really disliked about the Whedon cut like The Russian family or Batman getting treated like trash and thrown aside in that big fight with Superman, but it isn't all perfect and as much as I liked the Batfleck/Leto Joker scene that whole Knightmare sequence was kind of pointless and definitely didn't live up to the hype for me.

Also, this had pretty great pacing for a 4 hour movie.

B+

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:47 pm
Extraordinary

The additions in the Whedon cut and the ommisions from Snyder's (including almost every side character that's a person of color and SO much of Cyborg) is just... beyond anything.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:15 pm
The Kramer

Was that really Whedon's fault though? Sure his version of the final battle was shit and Cyborg got shafted, but his job was to cut it down to two hours and make it more like Avengers. That's exactly what he did. It's the same as blaming JJ Abrams for the mess that Rise of Skywalker became when that was exatly what he was asked to do. WB's greed was the archenemy of the Justice League, not Joss Whedon.

Now the on set allegations have piled up in recent years, so his treatment of cast and crew is unforgivable. But I just don't see a world where Snyder, forced to edit his movie down to two hours and make it more 'fun', would put out a better quality product in November 2017.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:38 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Was that really Whedon's fault though? Sure his version of the final battle was shit and Cyborg got shafted, but his job was to cut it down to two hours and make it more like Avengers. That's exactly what he did. It's the same as blaming JJ Abrams for the mess that Rise of Skywalker became when that was exatly what he was asked to do. WB's greed was the archenemy of the Justice League, not Joss Whedon.

Now the on set allegations have piled up in recent years, so his treatment of cast and crew is unforgivable. But I just don't see a world where Snyder, forced to edit his movie down to two hours and make it more 'fun', would put out a better quality product in November 2017.

Whedon wrote some of the shittiest additions in his cut; Martha calling Lois thirsty, reusing a falling on boobs gag, saving a Russian family plot, having some shitty botched up Superman opening his film, among other things.

Stuff like Cyborg's backstory or even Barry saving Iris could've been in Josstice League over most of the BS he added. WB suits sure don't know what they are doing though.

I am both nervous and keen to see what happens with the Flash movie.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:51 pm
The Kramer

Barry saving Iris was such an awkward scene I wish it was cut from this version too. :whistle:

The truck driver who dropped his sandwich was the same guy from Dark Tower 7 who killed Jake right? WB owns both properties right? :P

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:30 pm
The Kramer

I forgot that Steppenwolf got eaten by his own Parademons the first time around because of “fear”. So lame. Watching the JL kill him properly this time was dope.

“Not impressed.” :hahaha: Was that line in the original cut?

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:51 pm
Extraordinary

Lol no, Superman's line was something about Justice or somethig yeesh

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:05 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually liked the 2017 movie (for reference Batman v. Superman is one of the worst movies of all time to me) and am not a fan of Zack overall but this is much better and more coherent for sure than the original film. It doesn't really feel its length and gives a lot more screentime to characters that got the shaft in the original. I can understand why Ray Fisher was so pissed because he has a really great arc in this movie that seems to have been completely eliminated in that version. There are still a lot of problems, but the last hour is really aces and such a better climax than the original. The score is also amazing and I thought the emotional beats in this one landed really well. Crazy this got butchered so much originally. B+

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:53 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

I do think its an improvement over the original with characters flashed out clearly. But I also do not appreciate the fact that this is 4+ hours long (series, I wouldn't call it a movie). Its easier to flash out these characters with so much time but if the same level would have been achieved in 2.5 hours then I would say its a better version. Also its easier to digest because we watched from our homes (imagine sitting in a theater for 4 hours for this movie) where we can pause at times and take a break (I took three big breaks to finish this). The final fight is "better" but I still do not find it vastly improved other than the fact that they actually kill Steppenwolf. There is still no coherence in fight scenes (they look more shiny for sure) and tracking of what certain characters are doing at a time. Also Batman was still pretty underused like what was he actually doing all that time when the other gods were fighting/crying for help.

And just because there is more stuff does not mean we "needed" all of it. Cyborg still looks cartoonish and fake and his powers are unevenly revealed/used (he should have been able to save his father by opening that door). Barry saving that girl was comical and should have been left off. There are so very many slow-mo shots of actors delivering their dialogue which we didn't need to add to an already scorching runtime. People blame for Cyborg's story I would say for a movie of this scale the same oversight was done to Atlantean this time (we get like 3 maybe 4 scenes inside water and most of them from theatrical version). The scenes with Joker are needlessly padded and should have definitely been left out from this version and that's a good 15 minutes of building a sequel which we will never get.

On to good points, the flow is better and the movie has structure, characters are more drawn. I would not say the 4 hours flew by but again with the breaks they were digestible. Synder brings the visual panache which he already does. There is a lot of fanservice and should give what fans expected out of it.

I gave Justice League a B- in my latest review so I will give this a B though I consider theatrical version more rewatchable than this overlong flawed movie (though I do plan to see it once more).

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:48 am
On autopilot for the summer

So I just finished the Snyder Cut (took about 7 hours with breaks at some chapter points) and now I'm immediately watching the theatrical for the first time since theaters so they both remain fresh. Taking a lot of notes. Will report back when I digest it all.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:08 am
The Kramer

New rankings, Justice League was last before but now it isn’t.

-Great
1. Wonder Woman
2. Man of Steel

-Better with a new edit
3. Justice League
4. Shazam (I assume Shazam: Directors Cut is better)
5. Batman v Superman

-We Live In A Society
6. Joker

-I like some parts, but not enough
7. Suicide Squad
8. Aquaman
9. Birds of Prey
10. Wonder Woman 1984

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:44 am
Veteran

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It surpasses the first Wonder Woman as best among the DCEU films. I am back in Snyder's camp and would like for him to direct a Justice League 2.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:05 am
On autopilot for the summer

My review will be up soon, but I'd recommend anyone who watches this to also watch the theatrical cut. They really overhyped this thing because they were completely dishonest. They often said that Whedon didn't use like 90% of Snyder's footage which may has to include the stuff he shot but was cut, but I'd say at least 85% of what made it into the theatrical cut was in fact Snyder's footage, writing, acting, etc. And there is no way that Snyder did not watch the theatrical, you had to repurpose the shots he shot, such as WW cutting off Stepen's head or axe is exactly the same, depending on the cut.

And because of that, the whole experience feels like a massive cheat, because all the major differences were done thanks to the 70 million. The Dark Superman suit was all shown in the theatrical. They simply CGId it differently in this one (hence no one in the film comments on it, or even why Supes chooses it over his traditional one already there.) So to say that there was some secret cut this whole time filled with missing footage is complete nonsense, but since the majority of people will never understand the production that went into this, Snyder will look like a hero in this. But if you were to really look at the differences, Whedon did a pretty good job, and in many cases, he made a theatrical experience that is essentially the same movie.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:39 am
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
My review will be up soon, but I'd recommend anyone who watches this to also watch the theatrical cut. They really overhyped this thing because they were completely dishonest. They often said that Whedon didn't use like 90% of Snyder's footage which may has to include the stuff he shot but was cut, but I'd say at least 85% of what made it into the theatrical cut was in fact Snyder's footage, writing, acting, etc. And there is no way that Snyder did not watch the theatrical, you had to repurpose the shots he shot, such as WW cutting off Stepen's head or axe is exactly the same, depending on the cut.

And because of that, the whole experience feels like a massive cheat, because all the major differences were done thanks to the 70 million. The Dark Superman suit was all shown in the theatrical. They simply CGId it differently in this one (hence no one in the film comments on it, or even why Supes chooses it over his traditional one already there.) So to say that there was some secret cut this whole time filled with missing footage is complete nonsense, but since the majority of people will never understand the production that went into this, Snyder will look like a hero in this. But if you were to really look at the differences, Whedon did a pretty good job, and in many cases, he made a theatrical experience that is essentially the same movie.

Oh jesus.

I'm never gonna watch Josstice League again but from the scenes I saw on YT (WW with the terrorists and WW vs. Steppenwolf) they were hacked to pieces and way worse. Snyder didn't film 2 hours+ of footage recently. He didn't film all the people of color that were cut recently. But do you lol

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:04 pm
Romosexual!

A+

Thank you Zack Snyder & the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut fans :D that was excellent.

I'm soo pissed off cause WE COULD'VE HAD THAT 4 YEARS AGO! :mad: Fuck you WB! Fuck you Joss Whedon!

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:28 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Oh jesus.

I'm never gonna watch Josstice League again but from the scenes I saw on YT (WW with the terrorists and WW vs. Steppenwolf) they were hacked to pieces and way worse. Snyder didn't film 2 hours+ of footage recently. He didn't film all the people of color that were cut recently. But do you lol

While I agree with some of your points there the overall tone is what erks me. This is just fanboy lashing out. It is so difficult dealing with DC fans as they have always been / become so defensive with the movie outputs that everything challenging their opinion goes beyond their ears.

Same with Flava'd in his opening post who declares that anyone who doesn't like this becomes a DC casual fan/hater. It's just stupid to not look at other point of view because you think yours is superior.

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:08 pm
Devil's Advocate

Thegun wrote:

If you want to do a main site review PM me

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:04 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Rev wrote:
A+

Thank you Zack Snyder & the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut fans :D that was excellent.

I'm soo pissed off cause WE COULD'VE HAD THAT 4 YEARS AGO! :mad: Fuck you WB! Fuck you Joss Whedon!

No way we would have gotten this 4 years ago. I'm sure $70m bought a lot of inserted CGI work and imagine not having an Aquaman movie because of this in favor of a Cyborg movie which would have been a rehash of middle half of Justice League. I do not believe Whedon would cut THAT much of Cyborg story for no reason specially at a time when WB was ready to churn out individual movies for each of these heroes. There was no reason to cut out Flash point sequence if that was already shot.

People really need to think reasonably here. Do you think a reshoot that costs more than Joker would not have any original content in it? The movie is good because there have been 4 years of feedback. I cannot believe we got all deleted scenes in slo-mo for 4 hours after 4 years of feedback which was mostly seen towards a change in ending but we ended up with so many flaws amplified instead of better storytelling.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:21 am
Extraordinary

Do you think Cyborg's scenes were filmed after this cut got greenlit? They weren't... there's scenes from his backstory in the original trailers... they intentionally cut his storyline.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:12 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Do you think Cyborg's scenes were filmed after this cut got greenlit? They weren't... there's scenes from his backstory in the original trailers... they intentionally cut his storyline.

I don't think ALL Cyborg scenes were filmed now but Ray Fisher and the cast around him are unknown and cheaper to reshoot so yes more scenes from Cyborg would have been added in comparison to others. A reason why Aquaman scenes were not added is that shooting those (under)water scenes without an existing movie are expensive (most likely more than the entire cast) . If you go through a critical eye the movie is now imbalanced, shifting entire focus to Cyborg and I cannot believe with Batman and specially Superman, Synder would have put so much focus on an unknown property like Cyborg in his original version.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:25 am
Hold the door!

I found this largely confusing and I was not too engaged with it. Maybe rewatching Man of Steel and BvS will help.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next