Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Black Widow 

Rate this film:
A 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Black Widow 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Black Widow
Quote:
Black Widow is a 2021 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the 24th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film was directed by Cate Shortland from a screenplay by Eric Pearson, and stars Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow alongside Florence Pugh, David Harbour, O-T Fagbenle, William Hurt, Ray Winstone, and Rachel Weisz. Set after Captain America: Civil War (2016), the film sees Romanoff on the run and forced to confront her past.

Development of a Black Widow film began in April 2004 by Lionsgate, with David Hayter attached to write and direct. The project did not move forward and the character's film rights reverted to Marvel Studios by June 2006. Johansson was cast in the role for several MCU films beginning with Iron Man 2 (2010), and began discussing a solo film with Marvel. Work began in late 2017, with Shortland hired in 2018. Jac Schaeffer and Ned Benson contributed to the script before Pearson was hired. Filming took place from May to October 2019 in Norway, Budapest, Morocco, Pinewood Studios in England, and in Atlanta and Macon, Georgia.

Black Widow premiered on June 29, 2021 at various events around the world, and is scheduled to be released in the United States on July 9, which will be simultaneous in theaters and through Disney+ with Premier Access. It is the first film in Phase Four of the MCU, and was delayed three times from an original May 2020 release date due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, with praise for the performances and action sequences.

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:30 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Black Widow
Goes from one point to another with good comic timing and diverting action but never really forms its own. I felt Cate Shortland's direction was decent but never exciting, the screenplay ends up focusing on wrong parts of youth which you hoped were not the only parts in the first Black Widow solo movie (even Marvel got a better backstory than this). The final action is really good though and central 4 characters are really good specially Johansson who easily gives this character another depth. Harbour brings in loads of fun and Pugh's bickering with BW is really well done, Weisz's arc was the weakest of the lot but she does well with she was given.

B

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:43 am
Hold the door!

It’s thoroughly middle of the road Marvel. Very pretty to look at and the characters are good as always but the story is very meh.

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:20 pm
Extraordinary

Maybe it's just cause I was happy seeing an MCU film in a theater again but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Both ScarJo and Florence Pugh were great. This really should've been made before Infinity War... or even before Endgame would've been cool.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:35 am
The Kramer

Yeah this hit the spot. Sure it could have been a little better, setting it during the post-Snap world instead of the confusing "in between Civil War and blonde hair" period of Natasha's life should have been obvious, but whatevers. The blockbusters scenes are very exciting, it is funny enough and the four main characters are all thrilling to watch in action. This movie should have come out ten years ago, but better late than never for one of the greatest Avengers.

A/A-ish, second viewing (hopefully in theaters) will determine where it goes.

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:24 pm
The Kramer

Also, whether intentional or not, this was a great audition for Nat to join the Fast franchise. She walks away from so many absurd crashes without a scratch. :funny:

What if it was actually Mr. Nobody (who is also Loki) that jumped off the soul stone cliff? :hahaha:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:26 pm
100% That Bitch

Lolll somebow I thought they were gonna bring her back to life.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:47 am
Keeping it Light

In the end this settles as a mid-tier MCU entry for me, which means it's pretty entertaining just nothing amazing. I enjoyed seeing Scarlett once more as Black Widow, but it was really Florence Pugh that stole the film for me and I'm glad the after credits scene ends with her as well. She's just a good actress and nails all her snarky lines. I wish Weisz had a bigger role and Harbour's Red Guardian had more to do, but I enjoyed their inclusion anyway. Winstone's Dreykov on the other hand was pretty lame, generic villain with a bad accent (I guess it dawns on me, that with the exception of a few, Marvel's villains just don't amount to much). It's further quite capably made, finely directed and the action has a good pace to it, I enjoyed it overall.

B

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:46 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Mau wrote:
Lolll somebow I thought they were gonna bring her back to life.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:51 am
Extraordinary

Held up well on a second viewing. I think if the third act was stronger (don't think it's as god awful as peoplr on the internet are claiming though) it would be pretty up there in terms of MCU. It's just strange because from this film I would want to see more of Natasha but it ends up being her swan song.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:49 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I felt the first half was disappointing and the whole Red Room was just a reference to setup a generic villain instead of telling Natasha's angst. I was fine with the ending because there was no other way they could have ended this.

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was a mixed bag for me. It starts off very well - the opening scene is fantastic and tense, and for the first hour this moves along quite swimmingly - the action sequences are brutal and exciting and the interplay between Natasha and Yelena is super fun. But it kind of falls apart in the second half and I agree the villain is a mess. Also considering we know the inevitable fate of the lead character the whole thing honestly felt like kind of an afterthought at the end of the day. Florence Pugh is the standout of the cast though and makes it worth watching, she's fantastic. It's mid-tier Marvel for me as well. B-

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:09 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

If I remember correctly, this was fast tracked as something low key and easy to make when it became clear GOTG Vol 3 wasn’t coming out anytime soon.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:10 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Indeed which makes it very weird that they wanted to connect it somewhere in middle of the two Avengers Infinity movies.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:58 pm
Superman: The Movie

18. Black Widow
19. Civil War
20. Doctor Strange
21. The Incredible Hulk
22. Thor: The Dark World
23. Thor
24. Iron Man 2

Who knew the best movie about family this summer wasn’t going to be F9 (actually it’s not this, it’s Cruella)? The scenes with the family are the best parts. The first 15 minutes are fantastic. Loved the scene in the helicopter. The last act isn’t great. JLD!

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:18 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Cruella had family scenes (aside from mother/daughter)?

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:47 am

Cruella, Jasper and Horace. When she tries to get them back for the final con she “pulls the family card” on them and they’re sucked back in. She’s not wrong though. They’re pretty much become her adoptive family right after her mom dies.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:32 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Just like every movie then. Got it.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:03 am

Pretty much. It’s an easy way to make an audience feel empathy. Kind of like how at the end of Black Widow Natasha says (about the Avengers) that she ta going to try and put the family back together.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I liked this. Pugh's comic lines in addition to Harbour definitely helps. The skybase is a creative idea for a climactic sequence after 20+ MCU movies. It starts out rough (a kid flying a plane? The father on the wing? The confusion of why he doesn't care why his wife is dying and kids are getting taken away before you realize he's supposed to be a scumbag at that point) but once the two main girls get together it works.

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:25 pm
Veteran

Pugh stole the show. I found BP enjoyable. It’s about on par with the first Thor and Captain America films. A little better than Captain Marvel. I laughed and enjoyed the action scenes. It gave me what I expected.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]