Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Wonder Woman 1984 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
C 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Wonder Woman 1984 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Wonder Woman 1984
Quote:
Wonder Woman 1984 (stylized as WW84) is a 2020 American superhero film based on the DC Comics character Wonder Woman. It is the sequel to 2017's Wonder Woman and the ninth installment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). The film is directed by Patty Jenkins from a script she wrote with Geoff Johns and David Callaham, based off a story by Johns and Jenkins. Gal Gadot stars as Diana Prince / Wonder Woman, alongside Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascal, Robin Wright, and Connie Nielsen. Set in 1984 during the Cold War, the film follows Diana and her past love Steve Trevor as they face off against Maxwell Lord and Cheetah.

Discussion of a sequel began shortly after the release of the first film in June 2017 and the decision to proceed was confirmed the following month. Principal photography began on June 13, 2018, with filming taking place at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden in England, as well as the District of Columbia and Northern Virginia in the United States, London and Duxford in England, Tenerife and Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands, and Almería in Andalusia, Spain. Production wrapped on December 22, 2018, after a six-month shoot, with additional filming took place in July 2019.

Wonder Woman 1984 premiered on December 15, 2020, via the DC FanDome virtual platform. It is scheduled to be released in theaters by Warner Bros. Pictures in the United States on December 25, 2020, and will also stream digitally on HBO Max in the U.S. for a month beginning on that same date. It will debut theatrically in international markets that do not have HBO Max on a staggered schedule beginning on December 16, 2020. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, with praise for the style, tone, and the performances of Gadot and Wiig.

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:21 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Wonder Woman 1984
So I saw this today but I'm not going to review our grade it tonight. I'm going to watch this again tomorrow so I'll write a full review then. One word "uneven" and it's definitely inferior to the original (which I didn't love as well)

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:24 pm
Wallflower

I'm surprised you're seeing it again so soon since you seem pretty meh on it :P.

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:18 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magic Mike wrote:
I'm surprised you're seeing it again so soon since you seem pretty meh on it :P.

Going with a close friend today, we decided earlier to go together but he was not interested in spending money on IMAX, ticket prices for IMAX are 3 times the discounted ticket prices over normal theaters here. I saw it yesterday for $20 SGD will be seeing today at $7 SGD.

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:27 am
Wallflower

How is Kristen Wiig? She's the main reason I want to see it plus what I'm assuming is a fun 80's soundtrack. I only "liked" the first. This one looks better to me.

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magic Mike wrote:
How is Kristen Wiig? She's the main reason I want to see it plus what I'm assuming is a fun 80's soundtrack. I only "liked" the first. This one looks better to me.

Wiig is great specially in the first 2/3 of the movie. It's the final act where her character makes a quick transformation into CGI and the movie just abandons her redemption arc. But she is great in here.

The soundtrack was very disappointing for me, I couldn't recognize even one fun soundtrack from 80's. To be honest other than first action scene in the mall the movie completely forgets its an 80's movie.

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:27 pm
Keeping it Light

I liked this more than the first film, but it's still wholly unimpressive. The first hour is actually pretty good, the 80's vibe is cool and there is some good set-up, Pascal plays a good character and it's nice to see Pine again, his reappearance is fairly well done in being just Diana's imagination. The film really unravels in the second half though, if Lord wants world domination he seems to be trying to achieve it in an ineffective way and the whole wishing thing doesn't feel fleshed out.
Through the second half the 80's vibe takes a back seat too and it becomes more of a generic action film script. The action sequences are generally good though, from the Themyscira intro, to the mall robbery and the desert high way chase. But the final fight with Cheetah is meh and there was really no point to the gold armor either after being supposedly build up as meaningful and the film doesn't do humor or drama particularly well. It's not that bad, but it's a film just going through the motions and it's really too long. Gadot does feel like the right person to play Wonder Woman, but as Diana Prince less so.

C

Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:45 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked this but didn't love it, its inferior to original in every aspect but there are some themes and Gadot's arc that work really well.

The movie is divided in three arcs. First Gadot's arc which gets a great closure and it the biggest strength of this movie. Pine and Gadot are great, bringing great chemistry between their characters again. Pine is specially great here stealing every scene he is in from Gadot's committed performance. The closure of this arc will bring the acceptance to Wonder Woman's character, need for this superhero and possibly a tear or two. The closure of this arc also brings WW's flying power which could have been a bit more powerful scene that what we get here, plus the flying lesson goes on for a little too long. Second arc is that of Pascal's Max Lord, which is the central conflict with most uneven story and plot holes, this arc is needed to close the movie but the resolution is unconvincing bringing me the memories of "Martha" scene in BvS. The third and final arc is that of Kristen Wigg/Cheetah, Wigg is great in here but her transformation to Ceetah and its execution are horrible, this arc is abandoned in the movie indicating that Ceetah will return in future iterations.

As for the action scenes there are two in introduction because the script just need two introductions and padded action scenes as you don't see another action scene till 1 hour plus in the movie. The first intro is with Themyscira race which is more of an adventure, I understand what they were trying to do here but this scene serves no purpose in the movie and is never referenced back. The second introduction with the mall is the best action scene and also the best 80's setup/scene of the movie after which the movie completely abandons being in the 80's aside from Pine's dress-up and introduction. The desert high way chase is possibly the big visually appealing action scene here and Pine again steals the thunder from WW. The final action scene with Cheetah is the possibly the worse action scene in the series, the whole Golden armor is pretty useless and riding the thunder is just one frame that we have seen in trailers before...ugh.

Gadot is great in here aside from speaking English because some of the dialogues were still unclear. Pine is easily best character and actor of the film....again. Kristen Wigg is superb in the first half but once she gets powers its just downhill and generic action that ruins her performance. Pascal is great in what he does but his character is written thinly pretty much a generic Marvel villain.

B-

Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:33 am
Extraordinary

A tad disappointing but overall I liked it.

I think a better script could've done wonders for this. The cast is great, the film looks good, I just think if they did something more compelling with the storyline the final product could've at least match the first, which I think is a way better and more enjoyable film.

The one sequence that I thought was really well done was
Spoiler: show
Diana renouncing her wish to her flying. Loved that.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:51 pm
Extraordinary

I actually feel like besides WB's botched jobs on JL and SS, this might be my least favorite DC flick. Wasn't expecting that. Idk we'll see how I feel on rewatch.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:10 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was great and while the first may have hit bigger emotional highs, this was a more consistent film overall and didn't fall apart in the final act like that one did. It's incredibly entertaining and it was nice to see a 'big' movie like this again.

Diana and Steve are still :wub2: Godot and Pine just have the best chemistry in the world, and both turn in great performances once again. The whole fireworks sequence was absolutely magical.

Kristen Wiig is fantastic here too and I hope she returns for future installments. A-

Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:43 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

This .. kind of sucked? It’s very long, but it also feels like they cut out the entire first act. The dreamstone is just there with no build up. Diana and Barbara’s journey together would have been more impactful if they had been friends for longer than one day. These type of things just happen over and over. And the overall message is that if everyone got what they wished for then the entire world would instantly turn to shit? What?

It has a lot of good scenes, but just adds up to so little.

C-

The first is an A and the best of the DCverse, so I’m puzzled as to what went so wrong here.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:43 pm
The Kramer

Also why did this need to be in the 80s?

Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:46 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Also why did this need to be in the 80s?

Because she didn't become publicly known until JL, and Captain Marvel successfully did the 90s already, and making fun of the 80s is how the 70s and 80s did the 50s. Filmmakers are always amused by the period they grew up in.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:29 pm
Hold the door!

This was excellent, easily the best of the DC films in this universe. Very creative story wise and Pascal was a great villain. Only real issue is how much Wiig takes a back seat in the second half. Hopefully she comes back as the main antagonist in Wonder Woman 3.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:45 pm
Extraordinary

Yeah I thought the time period would play more of a role, it didn't really.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:22 am
Extraordinary

It is interesting how different the reviews are. I really liked it, probably A-. I thought Wiig made a good antagonist, and I imagine they are setting her up
Spoiler: show
to return in a sequel
. I also have to Lord came off better than I feared. He is really a Lex Luthor wannabe in the comics.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I guess I'll be in the minority aswell, but I actually enjoyed this more than the first movie which I did re-watch today and while I do like that movie alot more than when I first saw it I still have some of the same issues that I had with it the first time and that's mostly the weak, uninteresting villians which I thought was fixed big time in this movie.

Both Wiig and Pascaldalorian were great IMO and added so much personality and up beat fun to the movie overall. The tone, look and feel of this movie really got to me and I actually loved that it felt more like a comicbooky, Saturday morning cartoon, but I can understand how some might not like that as much or find it mostly cheesy.

I also thought the action sequences were handled pretty well for the most part, but nothing really stood out to me. Gal Cadot has never been more charismatic or charming in the role either, esepcially in her scenes with Pine and now I actually think I'm offcially sold on her in the role.

B

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:31 am
The Kramer

Wiig was solid, I just Wish the character had more of a built in relationship with Diana. They meet, have a nice lunch, Diana then asks her to run errands for like an hour, but then the final battle is supposed to have such big emotional stakes? It reminded me of Electro.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:46 am
Extraordinary

My DCEU ranking:

Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition
Shazam!
Aquaman
Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
Wonder Woman 1984

Josstice League
Suicide Squad

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:33 pm
The Kramer

How long until we can start demanding the Patty Jenkins Cut?

WW - A
Man of Steel - A

Shazam - B
Batman v Superman (ultimate) - B-

Suicide Squad - C+
Aquaman - C+
Birds of Prey - C
Wonder Woman 1984 - C-
Justice League - C-

Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:06 pm
The Kramer

Reddit is entertaining me today.

"One night Kristen Wiig is walking home in a coat, telling her homeless friend to stay warm. The next night it is the Fourth of July." :hahaha:

I normally don't care for the CinemaSins type of analysis, but it is reflective of the overall Undersight in this movie. Things just happen with no set up. How hard would it have been to mention the upcoming holiday sometime during the mall sequence?

Also, is it weird that nobody had a problem with Steve taking over some random dudes body? If Diana had not revoked her wish then it basically would have been murder right? Rather than questioning this, she fucks him for like an entire day before even getting back to the Dreamstone lol.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:15 pm
Veteran

Wonder Woman 2017 was an anomaly among DC comics films. The sequel was very much in the vein of the Zack Snyder films with all the hallmarks of nonsensical plot devices, unearned moments, lackluster villainy, plot holes, an underwhelming hero/heroine, caricatures, and bad acting.

Grade: C

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:59 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Wow reviews are more scathing than I imagined here :funny:

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Reddit is entertaining me today.

"One night Kristen Wiig is walking home in a coat, telling her homeless friend to stay warm. The next night it is the Fourth of July." :hahaha:

I normally don't care for the CinemaSins type of analysis, but it is reflective of the overall Undersight in this movie. Things just happen with no set up. How hard would it have been to mention the upcoming holiday sometime during the mall sequence?

Also, is it weird that nobody had a problem with Steve taking over some random dudes body? If Diana had not revoked her wish then it basically would have been murder right? Rather than questioning this, she fucks him for like an entire day before even getting back to the Dreamstone lol.

Steve taking over a dudes body definitely irked me as well. For heroes with such high morales that seems really uncharacteristic.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next