Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A Quiet Place Part 2 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

A Quiet Place Part 2 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post A Quiet Place Part 2
Quote:
A Quiet Place Part II is a 2020 American horror film and the sequel to the 2018 film A Quiet Place, both of which follow a family that is forced to navigate and survive in a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by blind monsters with an acute sense of hearing. The sequel was written and directed by John Krasinski under the studio Paramount Pictures. Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe reprise their roles from the first film, and Cillian Murphy and Djimon Hounsou joined the cast. Krasinski also returns from the first film in a small role, seen in a flashback sequence set before the first film.

Paramount Pictures began development of a sequel in April 2018 following the box-office success of the first film. By the following August, Krasinski was writing the film, and he was hired in February 2019 to direct. Production took place in Western New York from June to September 2019. Krasinski was credited with writing the sequel based on characters created by Bryan Woods and Scott Beck for the first film.

The film had its world premiere in New York City on March 8, 2020, and after over a year of postponements due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on May 28, 2021. It will then be available to stream on Paramount+ 45 days after its theatrical debut. It received positive reviews from critics, who praised the story and the introduction of Cillian Murphy's character.

Thu May 27, 2021 11:22 pm
100% That Bitch

Post Re: A Quiet Place Part 2
Best horror movie ever.
Best movie of the year.
Best fucking movie I've ever seen in IMAX.
Best sequel ever
A++

If this doesn't sweep the Oscars next year I will sue them for everything they're worth

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri May 28, 2021 12:48 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

You watched it already Mau? Lucky you. Its releasing here in June :(

Fri May 28, 2021 1:17 am
100% That Bitch

Jack Sparrow wrote:
You watched it already Mau? Lucky you. Its releasing here in June :(

It had previews on IMAX today so I not only watched it before it's official release in Mexico, I got to watch it on IMAX.

It's by far the best fucking movie of the year and it deserves to win every award they can. Not only does it expand the universe it's just the next logical step and those final 7-5mins of the movie are probably the most tense I've EVER been Ina theater.

The ending OMFG I NEED MORE.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri May 28, 2021 1:19 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Awesome. I hope everyone loves the movie as much as you did. I do plan to watch this it in IMAX this time.

Fri May 28, 2021 1:32 am
Wallflower

One of the best sequels of all-time. Superb! The opening is perfection. I wanted Millicent Simmonds to get an Oscar nomination for the first. Now I wish she would for this but of course it won't happen. This will deserve so many Oscar nominations that it won't get. I'm talking Director for Krasinski. What he did with the first and this one is very impressive. Hopefully it at least gets technical nominations.

I'm sure this will be in my top 10 of the year easily. Can't wait for the eventual third. If that happens and it stops there this could basically be a perfect trilogy.

My only gripe is that it should have been longer. 2 hours would have been nice.

A

Fri May 28, 2021 1:40 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Two votes for it to get awards nomination. I think we have an early frontrunner for WOKJ MPA Best Picture ;)

Fri May 28, 2021 1:44 am
Wallflower

And we know Emily Blunt will win Best Actress ;).

Fri May 28, 2021 2:07 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magic Mike wrote:
And we know Emily Blunt will win Best Actress ;).

She would have most likely won even if the movie was just good enough :funny:

Fri May 28, 2021 2:33 am
Hold the door!

Will I be missing out if I don’t rewatch the first film? I remember it but not super well.

Fri May 28, 2021 12:51 pm
100% That Bitch

zwackerm wrote:
Will I be missing out if I don’t rewatch the first film? I remember it but not super well.

Not at all, just like two callback scenes to the first.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri May 28, 2021 1:44 pm
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:

You should be fine but honestly there's probably a recap video on YouTube you could watch.

Fri May 28, 2021 4:39 pm
Veteran

It was fantastic. I was so happy to see it on the big screen where it belongs. I'd hate for my first viewing to be at home on the small screen....alot of the suspense and details would have been missed.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri May 28, 2021 9:03 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was a good sequel and the performances were strong - I did think the first was much better though. I didn't think any of the setpieces here matched up to the ones in the first such as the birth scene or the whole buildup to the nail which were tense as hell. I also didn't like Emily Blunt being sidelined, and Cilian was a less compelling male lead than Krasinski was in the first film. It was still a fun watch though and I'm glad I saw it in IMAX in a theater. I'd gladly welcome a third installment. B

Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

A Quiet Place 2 is a solid sequel, never boring and always rushing forward. Yet I find myself underwhelmed. The entire thing felt ... slight. More like an episode of The Walking Dead than an epic cinematic experience (such as the first.) There just wasn’t much world-building, and I feel like the story basically ends in the same place that it started.

The girl is awesome. Get em super badass deaf girl. The clear lead of the movie (Blunt feels much more supporting than the first.) But ... having someone who could take out the monsters fairly easily definitely lessened the tension. I never really felt like the characters were in much danger, except when they went out of their way to find it. Hey how about you all go to the secret island?

This sounds overly negative, but as anyone who reads my reviews knows I will always have a lot more to complain about when a movie just misses the mark of greatness (vs being downright bad, at that point who cares?) I wanted this to be just like the first, an unforgettable ride in the theaters, and it didn’t give me that. It is still an entertaining next chapter in this franchise though, and you can bet I’ll be there for part 3.

B-

Fri May 28, 2021 11:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, Blunt didn't really do anything here and the stakes never felt as high. Your review is pretty spot on.

Fri May 28, 2021 11:20 pm
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

The stakes were never high? Bitches, what about when the other child was left alone and he fucked up and almost killed himself and baby? Those were stakes, they already killed a kid before, will they do it again?

I was sure as fuck they were gonna kill off one of the kids

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat May 29, 2021 3:46 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I definitely didn't think the kids were going to get killed off. The son did act like an idiot, though I thought Noah Jupe's performance was strong.

Nothing in this movie is as tense as this scene.

As I said, I did enjoy it - it's a fun movie, but the overwhelmingly positive reception kind of shocks me.

Sat May 29, 2021 6:21 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I agree with Flav. Underwhelmed with the movie. Maybe seeing the trailer 50 times didn't help. Definitely not bad but idk.

Sat May 29, 2021 6:55 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think there is a expectation vs quality gap that is an issue. Also Flava'd already addressed that, he liked the movie but its not a masterpiece. A movie can be underwhelming but still be great specially if it has good rewatchable quality (which leads to a great critics score as well).

Sat May 29, 2021 7:11 pm
Extraordinary

I don't think this is rewatchable or great, but of course that's my opinion.

Sat May 29, 2021 7:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I don't think this is rewatchable or great, but of course that's my opinion.

And that's the difference between two of your reviews :thumbsup:

Sat May 29, 2021 8:06 pm
The Kramer

I thought the son might be killed off at the beginning, after that little misstep of his. Once he made it through that I knew he’d be fine for the rest of the movie.

I will watch it again before the third comes out. I did have to pee very badly at the end (one part of the theater experience I Did Not miss), so maybe I’d be more hyped for it on the second go around.

What I’d really like is just another 10-15 minutes though. Expand the world a bit beyond some humans are bad and some humans are good. I don’t need to know what’s going on with the aliens if they would rather keep it a mystery, it doesn’t need to be Pacific Rim, but please give me something.

Sat May 29, 2021 10:18 pm
Superfreak

I thought this was absolutely excellent. I am shocked at how well this whole thing worked.

Clearly an example of "the sequel got a way bigger budget than the first" so it is a much bigger scale than the first but worked very well. Very creative, flawless execution, great acting, perfect pacing - this was truly tremendous. I completely agree with the "all-time great sequel" chatter. This does exactly what part 2 of a story is supposed to do. It is thrilling in it's own right and works well as stand-alone movie, but it absolutely pushes the narrative along - not too much, but not too little. The actors all basically perfect, including the 2 children. The real star is Krasinki's utterly flawless direction, though.

No, there is not a scene as tense as the child birth. No, there is not a scene as emotional Krasinski signing to his daughter that he loves and then sacrificing himself. However, the first doesn't have anything even resembling the build-up/pay-off of the final 10 minutes of this movie's criss-crossing between the daughter saving Cillian and the son saving the mother/baby which was incredibly well-done. Krasinski no doubt has bigger things ahead of him behind the camera. If he was notated for a Best Director Oscar, it is totally justified.

I also very much appreciate the fact that we are basically learning things at the same speed as the family. The aliens have no origin, no nothing, they're just there. The entire tone of everything gels really well.

I don't know what more 10-15 minutes would have added here. MAYBE it would have been good to add more to the Cillian Murphy/John Krasinski element as the opening insinuates they were really close but obviously there is not much development there? But the film works well regardless.

A+

Sat May 29, 2021 10:40 pm
The Kramer

Since I’ve mostly just complained:

-The entire opening scene is great.

-The misstep I mentioned was intense. And though I mentioned the monster killing abilities lessen said tension, it was cool at the time to watch it through a sniper scope.

-“Dive”

-Cillian Murphy is a good addition to the cast, though I wish they had followed up on why he still had his wife’s (pregnant?) body laying around.

AQP2 had its moments, it just lost the atmosphere of the first without giving us anything to replace the terror with.

Sat May 29, 2021 10:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next