Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 F9 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

F9 
Keeping it Light

Post F9

Quote:
F9 (also known as Fast & Furious 9) is a 2021 American action-adventure thriller film directed by Justin Lin, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Daniel Casey. It is the sequel to The Fate of the Furious (2017), the ninth main installment, and the tenth full-length film released overall in the Fast & Furious franchise. The first film since Fast & Furious 6 (2013) to be directed by Lin and the first since 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) not to be written by Chris Morgan, F9 stars Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, John Cena, Jordana Brewster, Nathalie Emmanuel, Sung Kang, Michael Rooker, Helen Mirren, Kurt Russell, and Charlize Theron.

F9 was originally scheduled for worldwide release in April 2019, but was delayed several times, first due to the releases of Hobbs & Shaw (2019) and No Time to Die (2021), and then the COVID-19 pandemic. It was released in Hong Kong and South Korea on May 19, 2021, and in the United States on June 25.

Tue May 25, 2021 1:16 am
Keeping it Light

Post Re: F9
I watched this opening weekend in China, and in a nutshell it's just what you'd expect from a Fast film nowadays I think. In some ways its wilder and crazier, it continues to go (more and more) beyond physics on stunts, but the lack of The Rock and Statham makes it feel reduced too. To counter that we get Han and Black back, and all in all this new chapter isn't worse, nor better, than the last one. Theron is wasted in it, but Cena is good and they've pretty clearly have run out of stakes and the plot is strung together like a soap opera. But it's good escapism for me and I'd be glad to come back for another ride.

B

Tue May 25, 2021 1:35 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I enjoyed it a lot sans the flashback sequences which sucked mostly because the acting was really horrible. The action sequences were hilarious and well-crafted. It's turn your brain off fun and better than the last installment. B+

My ranking of this series:

1. Fast Five
2. Furious 7
3. Fast & Furious 6
4. The Fast and the Furious
5. F9
6. The Fate of the Furious
7. Fast and Furious
8. 2 Fast 2 Furious
9. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:16 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Eh, I thought it was ok. The best films remain 5 and 6.

The dude they got for young Dom... lol looked nothing like Vin. Glad Han is back, kinda wish they didn't reveal it in the trailers.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:11 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Agreed on Young Dom. Also the actor was bad.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:16 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Another successful ride for the Fast and Furious franchise. F9 (though really 10 or 8, makes no sense that Tokyo Drift counts but Hobbs&Shaw doesn't) gives us plenty of exciting action sequences along with the usual family melodrama. I love being part of this world and am so glad they keep satisfying us fans. I know it was in the preview, but Tej and Roman blasting off into space is one of the highlights of the series, I couldn't stop smiling. Cena is great, not as funny as I'd like but dripping with the barely-hanging-on-confidence this role requires. Also, magnets bitch!

The Rock is missed though, no doubt about it. He always had an energy that carried the films during the slow times. There's also way too many pop culture references, the star wars bit in particular was cringe. Yet those corny moments come and go without affecting the experince too much.

It's still a step below the peak during 5-7, but F9 (though really 10?) is a worthy addition to one of my favorite series. A-

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:35 pm
Keeping it Light

Just posting my (updated) rankings here too:

I feel there's 3 tiers:

1. The Fast and the Furious (still remains the most functional movie and without it we would have never gotten this saga either).
2. Fast & Furious 6 (I just love the characters in this one the most)
3. Furious 7 (The impact of Walker leaving just looms, but they integrated it really well and Statham is an excellent villain in it)
4. Fast Five (The Brazil heist is still the most enjoyable set piece in the franchise)

5. Fast and Furious (Nice to get Vin back)
6. The Fate of the Furious (I don't really like the plot, but it's still fun and action packed)
7. F9 (It takes things to another crazy level with the physics and is actually too long, yet it still works)
8. Hobbs & Shaw (The lack of most of the core F&F cast makes it less fun and the story is not as interesting, it does a good job utilizing the leads)

9. 2 Fast 2 Furious (I really don't mind it, but the stakes are too low and it's all more like a video clip, then a good feature film)
10. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (The Tokyo vibe is pretty great, but Boswell is unlikable)

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 pm
Extraordinary

Haven't seen many of them in awhile but I'm thinking my ranking would be:

Fast and Furious 6
Fast 5
Furious 7
F8 of the Furious
The Fast and the Furious
F9
(Hobbs and Shaw)
Tokyo Drift
Fast and Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:54 pm
The Kramer

Fast Five - the turning point
Furious 7 - one last ride :tears:
Fast and Furious 6

F9
The Fate of the Furious - these two are about equal for me

2Fast2Furious
The Fast and The Furious
Hobbs and Shaw
Tokyo Drift - all good but just not the same

Fast and Furious - the only one I don’t like

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:20 pm
Superman: The Movie

It stinks!

C

3*- 7 - 8 - 1 - H&S - 2* - 6 - 5* - 9 - 4

*I need to rewatch these.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I've been wondering how they'll bring Brian back into the fold. With F8 it seemed they were happy enough to say "Brian and Mia are out", but then they mentioned him several times in this movie while his wife risked her life. They obviously aren't done with him.

I don't think they will recast Paul Walker, however they have established that the younger versions of characters don't have to look anything like the actors that play the adult versions. I guess they could just keep showing his car and have that be enough, but I realy think this is a good enough reason to do The Past and the Furious, which is the next illogical step after space anyways.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:16 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

F9 was just fine. Its definitely no where close to its peak and there is so much stuffed into this that at times it becomes incoherent in terms of storytelling. The acting actually is pretty good and Cena really sold off that final union which was great (specially after that deceiving marketing). The action scenes were the most ridiculous and unbelievable this time even though we have seen the big set pieces in trailer when they are fully executed they don't come out well. All the space stuff was unintentionally comic instead of awe-inspiring (the space visuals were also very disappointing for such a big-budgeted franchise). Justin Lin's direction fails the movie because he is unable to tie scenes together this time for what is a traditional movie which takes a lot out of this movie.

B-

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:14 pm
The Kramer

I thought the space stuff was very intentionally comedic. That’s why you send Tej and Roman instead of Letty or Dom. :funny:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:08 pm
The Kramer

Also on that note, I’d 100% watch a Tej and Roman spinoff. Han & Shaw too.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:26 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Also on that note, I’d 100% watch a Tej and Roman spinoff. Han & Shaw too.

This could work if the script is decent but both these actors don't have the range and charisma equal to either of Rock or Statham.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:16 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I thought the space stuff was very intentionally comedic. That’s why you send Tej and Roman instead of Letty or Dom. :funny:

There are times during the space stuff it becomes unintentionally comic which I never felt when they were tower hopping from Burj Khalifa. It's just that there is so much comedy kept in between these scenes that it never balances the seriousness or flashy shots. It's like they were hiding the idea of a car going into space with injecting as many one liners in that scene.

Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:21 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

F9 is ridiculous. The action scenes much like the recent predecessors (but even more so) are ludicrous and cartoonish. The space scenes are embarrassing and take the piss.

That said - it is entertaining. I didn’t mind the flash backs snd the non action scenes are well done. Charlize Theron is a scene stealer.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:52 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Ranking :

Havnt seen 8 or Hobbs

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:57 am
On autopilot for the summer

Has anyone else heard anyone call this movie not F9 but Fine?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:23 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Thegun wrote:
Has anyone else heard anyone call this movie not F9 but Fine?

I call it fine mostly and even mentioned that in my review above. But not by any official sources.

Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:40 pm
The Kramer

Fast & Fine would have been an acceptable title following The F8 of the Furious.

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

Fast & Fine would have been an acceptable title following The F8 of the Furious.

That would be the all girls Fast and Furious movie.

I like Fast Nein set in Germany trying to stop neo nazi villain.

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:09 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Shack wrote:

That would be the all girls Fast and Furious movie.

I like Fast Nein set in Germany trying to stop neo nazi villain.

Fast Nein :funny:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:48 pm
Devil's Advocate

It has some nice action scenes as expected and the space stuff works, but most of the middle of the movie bored me and has an unnecessary extra 20 minutes. Han coming back doesn't feel that critical to this plot so it kind of distracts from the rest, Mirren has to get her scene, etc. The Dom and Jacob backstory is decent but with the rich dictator's son guy, Cena never quite gets there as a big bad villain even before his predictable babyface turn. It would have been a good time to be bold and let Tyrese die in space or something after his plot, but they couldn't pull the trigger.

I'm ok with the crazy stunts but I wish they didn't make their bodies invulnerable to damage. Just do the ridiculous swinging wire thing and make the car land on the other side instead of crashing into the side of the cliff and them somehow surviving. It seems like car hoods are also made of cushions in this. The height Letty crashed into the hood off her motorbike was especially pushing it.

Honeslty even with lowered expectations that this was probably the worst one, I was pretty underwhelmed, it made me question whether I ever liked these movies that much or just the idea of them.

Fri May 26, 2023 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]