Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Wrath of Man 

Rate this film:
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Wrath of Man 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Wrath of Man
Quote:
Wrath of Man is a 2021 action thriller film directed by Guy Ritchie, from a script he co-wrote with Ivan Atkinson and Marn Davies, and is based on the 2004 French film Cash Truck by Nicolas Boukhrief. It is Ritchie's fourth directorial collaboration with lead actor Jason Statham, and first since Revolver (2005). Statham stars as H, a new cash truck driver in Los Angeles who thwarts a robbery only to have his mysterious past begin to get questioned. Holt McCallany, Jeffrey Donovan, Josh Hartnett, Laz Alonso, Chris Reilly, Raúl Castillo, DeObia Oparei, Eddie Marsan, and Scott Eastwood also star.

Wrath of Man was released in several countries on April 22, 2021, and in the United States on May 7, and is scheduled to be in the United Kingdom on July 23. It has grossed $36.1 million worldwide and received mixed reviews from critics.

Sat May 15, 2021 10:07 am
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Wrath of Man
I just loved this, it doesn't reinvent the wheel anywhere and the first half has a moment or two that are a bit iffy, but the finale is superb and Statham is great throughout. Excellent job from Ritchie who's at the top of his game now, with The Gentlemen and Wrath of Man back to back. The film has a very sweet supporting cast too, McCallany is good in a prominent role and it's probably the best I've seen Eastwood so far. Nice to see Hartnett and Marssan in smaller roles as well and cool that Garcia drops by for like a few lines. The score totally nails it as well, I went to see this twice on the same day at the cinema, instant favorite of mine.

A-

Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is a revenge thriller with an unbelievable plot and a "Sully" type treatment in the first half. The good thing is easily Statham in this and Ritchie keeps things fun and interesting and then the finale which is essentially a big bank robbery scene with a great gun fight. Eastwood is great in here as well but the deceiving with Hartnett does not work very well. If the plot had been a little more believable and script had more linear structure this could have worked very well in building all of these bad people. Also Statham's character is thinly written here and is surprisingly not believable as mob-lord here. There is also no breathing space to feel sympathy towards the character throughout (because the movie basically hides his motives till the final act) and no "hell-yeah" moment that you would expect from a revenge thriller.

B-

Tue May 18, 2021 2:12 am
Forum General

I enjoyed this, but this felt like something that's far below the talent of Guy Ritchie, especially coming off of The Gentleman which I loved. I mean its well directed and the performances are solid, but I found this lacking on alot of levels and Statham's character was very underdeveloped IMO. There's alot of interesting ideas in this film, but none of them are fully realized and I didn't think the action sequences were anything special either.

Scott Eastwood and Holt McCallany's characters stood out as the most interesting to me while sadly actors that I also enjoy like Josh Hartnett, Laz Alonso, Jeffrey Donovan or Andy Garcia aren't given much to do at all.

B-

Wed May 26, 2021 12:01 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I loved the first half of this (The score had a Burn After Reading/ In Bruges feel to it that I really dug and Statham was awesome) then it switched gears for the character development where I think it fell apart.
Spoiler: show
Holt being the inside man was not a giant twist, as it was either going to be the good one at the job, or the obvious one (Hartnett.) I'd preferred it wasn't Holt as maybe would have given Statham a little more character and intensity in the shoot out if there was someone he actual cared about. I would have opted for maybe his boss. Eddie Marson continues to shine not only in Ritchie films, but all of his smaller roles) His general concern for Statham being laughed at by the colleagues and turning out to him being the one wanting the money stolen would have been better. Secondly the ex soldiers don't get any time to be anything but plot points, I couldn't tell if Eastwood was upset he had to kill civilians or not, and the rest of the group didn't reprimand him or do anything about it, so it falls flat when they all fail at the end

That being said it's engaging, slick, and fun. Everything Revolver wasn't (The last time Statham teamed with Ritchie) I can't wait for his Five Eyes with Statham, Grant, Hartnett, Cary Elwes, and I'm sure a few more.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat May 29, 2021 4:53 pm
The Kramer

Wrath of Man has some truly excellent sequences, Statham vs Post Malone and the end heist standing out. However, I do think that Ritche's hyper-stylzed editing kinda works against itself sometimes. I was cool with flashing back to Statham's past after we had already gotten to know him, but focusing almost the entire second half on the Triple Frontier-like robbers was just weird. I also think the movie is missing a critical scene where Statham comes to terms with the fact that his son's death was entirely his fault. Otherwise it is a very strong and engaging movie. It's never boring and keeps you on the edge all the way to the end. I'll give a soft B+.

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]