Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Those Who Wish Me Dead 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Those Who Wish Me Dead 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Those Who Wish Me Dead
Quote:
Those Who Wish Me Dead is a 2021 American neo-Western action thriller film directed by Taylor Sheridan with a screenplay by Michael Koryta, Charles Leavitt, and Sheridan, based on Koryta's novel of the same name.[2] The film follows a teenager (Finn Little) who witnesses the murder of his father and goes on the run with a smokejumper (Angelina Jolie) in the Montana wilderness to escape a pair of assassins (Nicholas Hoult and Aidan Gillen) hired to silence him; Jon Bernthal, Medina Senghore, and Jake Weber also star.

Those Who Wish Me Dead was released in several international countries on May 5, 2021, followed by in the United States on May 14, by Warner Bros. Pictures under the New Line Cinema banner, both in theaters and digitally for one month on HBO Max. It received mixed reviews from critics.

Sat May 15, 2021 10:04 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Those Who Wish Me Dead
I thought this was a hugely entertaining summer actioner. Really fast-paced and exciting. B+

Sat May 15, 2021 11:00 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

I thought this was alright, but nowhere near the greatness of Sheridan's other work, especially something like Wind River which I absolutely loved. Jolie is good as is the rest of the cast, but I really do wish they gave Jon Bernthal more to do in this and as much as I like Nicolas Hoult I thought he was miscast here as one of the villians.

The action sequences are pretty entertaining though whenever its onscreen, but the amount of CGI in this really took me out of it at times, especially the fire effects which looked awful IMO.

C+

Sat May 15, 2021 11:41 am
The Kramer

This felt like a movie from 20 years ago. Drop an A-lister into a relatively big-budget westerny thriller and see what happens. I guess the forest fire bits are more relevant today, though the fire itself is never displayed as either bad or good. It's just there, doing what fire does.

Anyways, I thought Those Who Wish Me Dead was pretty damn good. Sure it doesn't bring much originality to the table, but its executes just about everything very well. The Europeans actions are just as terrifying as their American accents. I thought Punisher's side of the story was kinda lame for the most part, but had a good ending with the wife and Littlefinger's shootout. Bummer about his fate, but I guess they needed to be some more human consequences aside from the massive fire. I also don't think it resolved itself fully, since there's no reason to assume that more assassins will not be sent after the boy. Oh well, nobodies perfect, but we can always try to be better just like Angelina Jolie trying to make up for some kids she lost.

B+

Sat May 15, 2021 4:21 pm
Child Actor

C+

I'm mixed on this film, honestly. It's a nice paced action thriller that is rewarding to a point. I felt the camera work was good, cinematography captured some great shots & was beautiful. I felt the cast was solid, as was the performances. So all that is a plus for me.

The headscratcher I have is the failure to answer questions that arise in the story. Surprising, considering this is based off the novel. We don't know what the boy's father knew, other than a coverup. Was Tyler Perry's character a Mayor, Governor?? Who knows because we only get the brief convo with the hitman. How high does the coverup go?

I think the movie needed another 20 minutes or so.

Mon May 17, 2021 6:12 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

There are some good concepts but the movie never fully resolves itself. The movie does not have enough time to breathe a give time to mature the bond between the central duo which is what honestly brings this down to me. Also given past Taylor Sheridan work this feels really light. The action sequences were great but they never elevate to menacing or exciting. The fire and lightning effects seem very rudimentary and mostly used as props in the movie instead of giving them characters. Angeline Jolie is great but again her character's transformation was too sudden and her no-care attitude wasn't explored with depth (the parachute scene coming out as more adventorous than deep). The mob parts are also not fully realized nor is the central conflict in terms os secret. I believe a lot of was there in the book but was either edited or never adapted in the screenplay. Its still fun and keeps moving at a very brisk pace with a great turn from Jolie and Bernthal.

B-

Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 am
Wallflower

I caught this opening weekend on a huge screen and I'm glad I opted to see it in a theater. I thought it was a blast and the villains were actually pretty scary. So cold and evil. Angelina Jolie was very enjoyable. A treat to see her in something again.

This was a nice old-fashioned suspense movie. The kind they don't make very often anymore.

B+/A-

Thu May 27, 2021 3:46 am
Keeping it Light

I had some good hopes for this as I like most of Sheridan's work, but this was very disappointing. The first half is alright, but I don't like how it unfolds after that, the kid is annoying and it amounts to something average only. I generally like Jolie and they put a pretty good cast together actually, the story is kind of interesting and the backdrop should work, but they simply don't make the most of it. It's a misfire.

C

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]