Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Mitchells vs. The Machines 

Rate this film:
A 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Mitchells vs. The Machines 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Mitchells vs. The Machines
Quote:
The Mitchells vs the Machines is a 2021 American computer-animated adventure science fiction comedy film produced by Sony Pictures Animation. The film is directed by Mike Rianda (in his feature directorial debut), and written by Rianda and Jeff Rowe (who also serves as co-director), with Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, and Kurt Albrecht serving as producers. The film follows a dysfunctional family that winds up having to save Earth from a robot uprising while on a road trip. It stars the voices of Abbi Jacobson, Danny McBride, Maya Rudolph, Eric Andre, Fred Armisen, Beck Bennett, Conan O'Brien, Charlyne Yi, Sasheer Zamata, Rianda, and Olivia Colman.

The Mitchells vs the Machines was released in select theaters on April 23, 2021, and began streaming digitally on Netflix on April 30. The film was lauded by critics and audiences.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:22 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Mitchells vs. The Machines
This film was an absolute blast to watch and it's a shame it didn't come out under better circumstance because Im sure it would have done well at the BO. It's beautifully animated throughout with a great voice cast and alot of colorful characters and fun setpieces. The Eric/PAL MAX Robots really stole the show for me and I probably got the most laughs either from their scenes or the stuff with Monchie or the brother which was equally cute IMO. It never dragged for me, but I also don't think it needed to be almost two hours long, especially when it got to the end.

B+

Sat May 01, 2021 1:11 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was so great! It was hilarious, fun and full of heart, in addition to being gorgeously animated. Also really admired the choice to make the lead character LGBTQ+ without drawing too much attention to it. It further solidifies the Lord/Miller brand as being the closest thing to a competitor for Pixar. The end made me cry. A real treat. A-

Sat May 01, 2021 9:43 pm
Profile YIM
Romosexual!

A+

Sun May 02, 2021 12:34 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Yeah this was charming and clever and engaging and fun and sweet. The movie feels generous and abundant if maybe slightly overpacked and hyper kinetic.

BUT I have to point out how significantly this seems to “borrow” from one of my all time favorite movies, A Goofy Movie (1995). If you’re as familiar with that movie as I am, the “parallels” here seem too numerous to be coincidental. Besides the obvious trope of the adolescent’s strained relationship with their father, add unwilling participation in cross country road trip, the teen using Dad’s ‘patented special move’ in the 3rd act to save the day, the fam running into the other family on the road which elicits comparisons/competitiveness, 3rd act the Dad finding out the teen ‘betrayed’ him in the 2nd act.... then we can talk about the design choices—teen in red hoodie, Dad wearing yellow, AND the car is even the same. Not sure if the homage is intentional or convenient or a “coincidence” but there’s a lot of overlap. (and, obviously this movie is different in that it adds the techno apocalyptic shenanigans and has its own energy and style. Just pointing this out)

A-

Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I loved this movie even though most of it was predictable from the get-go, it just keeps throwing up surprises with the execution and building its characters to more than just tools. It was a little too long but that's just a minor complaint because that does not take away from the overall experience.

A-

Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 am
The Kramer

Mitchells v Machines is hilarious. The big laughs come almost once a minute, and sometimes even more during the action scenes (which were the standout for me, especially since most of the times in these types of films they are just used as filler to keep kid's from getting bored.) I haven't laughed that much in awhile.

There was a little too much feel-goodery though and I am certain that Disney would have killed the friendly robots at some point. The 4th wall breaking and narration was also mostly cringey, though I suppose that kind of hyper-activity is what todays youth need to stay invested. A dad/daughter not understanding each other is not a conflict that needs an apocalypse to resolve itself either, time will do that for you. None of these things hurt it too much, but it does keep the movie from being at Recent-DAS/Pixar level. It plays more like the best version of The Croods 3: Future Croods.

A-

Fri May 28, 2021 1:59 pm
Hold the door!

This was alright, though I'm tired of robot themed animated movies after this, Big Hero 6 and Ron's Gone Wrong. Visually beautiful and definitely the best of those three films, and I really liked the villain here, she was funny.

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]