Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Mortal Kombat (2021) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Mortal Kombat (2021) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Mortal Kombat (2021)
Quote:
Mortal Kombat is a 2021 American martial arts fantasy film directed by Simon McQuoid (in his feature directorial debut), from a screenplay by Greg Russo and Dave Callaham and a story by Russo and Oren Uziel.[4] It is based on the video game franchise of the same name created by Ed Boon and John Tobias, serving as a reboot to the Mortal Kombat film series. The film stars Lewis Tan, Jessica McNamee, Josh Lawson, Tadanobu Asano, Mehcad Brooks, Ludi Lin, Chin Han, Joe Taslim, and Hiroyuki Sanada.

Following the critical and commercial failure of the 1997 film Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, a third Mortal Kombat film languished in development hell for a period of nearly two decades. In late 2010, Warner Bros. Pictures (whose parent company acquired the franchise from Midway Games in 2009) began developing a new film, with Kevin Tancharoen serving as director from a script written by Uziel in the wake of their Mortal Kombat: Rebirth short film. James Wan was announced as a producer in August 2015 and McQuoid was hired as director in November 2016. Production took place at Adelaide Studios in Adelaide and at other locations in South Australia. Principal photography occurred from September to December 2019.

Mortal Kombat was released by Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema internationally on April 8, 2021, and is scheduled to be released in the United States on April 23, simultaneously in theaters in 3D and on the HBO Max streaming service. The film received mixed reviews from critics, with praise for the fight sequences and faithfulness to the games, but criticism for the screenplay.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Mortal Kombat (2021)
I saw this in theaters few weeks back. It's good but has some coherence issues and tries too hard to be grounded in reality. I like the fun bits in this one though but after the animated movie I had high hopes for this one.

C+

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:10 pm
Extraordinary

Its a real dud, the only good thing about this movie is Kano and to a very limited appearance by Kabal.
The fights choreography is poor imo, the fx are decent.
The character are very thin in large part because of this new unnecessary and unlikable character Cole who shouldnt be in it in the first place.
The cast from the original film blows this one out of the water, the acting here is just awful and the only 2 good actors and interesting characters zubzero and scorpion are not used right.
Why does Zubzero and his clan from china hate scorpions clan from Japan so much? They never show why, not even Scorpion knows.
They end it on a cheesy note hinting on a fan fav character and more films to come, i doubt we will get more.

D

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The dubstep remix of the 90s song in the credits sums up this movie pretty well. It has little interest in its story or character, just maneuvering them into places for a “hey that was in the game!” moment. But hell, I’ll admit I smiled almost every time those moments happened. Fans of the franchise should be entertained enough. I doubt the critics will be as understanding though.

C+ feels right.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:15 pm
On autopilot for the summer

neo_wolf wrote:
Why does Zubzero and his clan from china hate scorpions clan from Japan so much? They never show why, not even Scorpion knows.

Because when they were kids, the had the same master, and the other one worked harder, and then he was framed for murder by the guy from The Mummy.

Oh, nevermind, that was GIJOE. But I'm sure it's something similar here that got cut out.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:59 pm
Forum General

Honestly, I think your better off either re-watching the original 95 movie or if you haven't checking out Scorpion's Revenge which are both much better MK movies than this. Outside of the opening scene and some gory fatalities this was super mediocre with weak characters, bad dialogue and a trash script where we never even see an actual tournament. It felt like the whole point of this movie was nothing more than set-up for sequels which is pretty much the biggest problem with most studios nowadays when it comes to movies and I really wish that kind of crap would stop.

C-

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:25 pm
The Kramer

MK fans are pretty upset that Goro got whooped just to put Cole over.

I dunno if its better or worse that I forgot Goro was in the movie...

Maybe my C+ was too generous...

Cano was cool though. And the fatalities!

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:54 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

The action setup (not the choreography) and visuals are great and even though not great it feels more team work was built in with lots of fan service but the best way to describe this movie is uneven. I will watch it again next weekend once it streams so I will possibly upgrade/degrade my rating then.

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:00 am
Extraordinary

I don't know anything about Mortal Kombat but I enjoyed this lol. There's nothing great about it but I liked the cast and some of the action was cool. Would look forward to a sequel.

Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:33 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Some of the action was decent but this felt like a Suicide Squad ripoff to me to be honest and the story was dull and poorly executed. The acting was also terrible. However, it was entertaining background noise for the most part. C

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

It's an easy film to enjoy if your just looking for mindless entertainment, so I can understand why some people would like it, but damn man the MK fan in me was so disappointed with this movie. Having an R-rating did nothing to improve this film IMO outiside of a few fan servicey moments, because of the awful writing and I still don't understand the point of Lewis Tan's bland as hell Cole Young character who for some reason they made the lead in this at the expense of sidelining all the classic characters from the games that we actually want to see.

I've enjoyed the actor in other stuff I've seen him in, but my god was he waste of space in this with lame powers and then they had the nerve to do Goro dirty just to boost his trash character which is honestly what pissed me off the most. Poor Reptile can never catch a break either whether its in a live action or animated MK movie lol.

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:08 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Watched it again this past weekend and felt that the movie has been hacked to shreds. When will WB learn not to interrupt with a director's vision or find people that you trust enough to make a movie. The movie has very little re-watch value. The visuals and set pieces came out more pronounced this time but story-telling feels very chopped and disoriented.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:51 pm
Keeping it Light

It's hardly a movie and feels more like cut scenes from a video game put together, but given that, it's not bad. I feel it stays pretty true to what the game is about and the characters are pretty fun. It really lacks a good soundtrack though and it's just not as enjoyable as the original film. I wish the story would've been less about introducing the characters and had an actual tournament take place, but I didn't mind this all together.

C+

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]