Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Soul 

Rate this film:
A 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Soul 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Soul
Quote:
Soul is a 2020 American computer-animated comedy-drama film produced by Pixar Animation Studios for distribution by Walt Disney Pictures. It is directed by Pete Docter and co-directed by Kemp Powers, and written by Docter, Powers and Mike Jones.[2] The film stars the voices of Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Questlove, Phylicia Rashad, Daveed Diggs, and Angela Bassett.

Soul premiered at the BFI London Film Festival on October 11, 2020. Originally intended to be a theatrical release, the film was digitally released on Disney+ on December 25, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It received highly positive reviews from critics, with praise for its animation, story, voice acting, and music.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:20 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Soul
Wonderful music, good story, a little heavy handed script and great voice work pairing/chemistry between the two leads executed flawlessly in the latest Pixar offering. The flow and story structure is comparable to your typical Pixar movie and its definitely not the most original or the top tier offering from the studio. It does have tons of heart and great ideas about life before life, life after life and even life during life. The voice cast does a brilliant job, Tina Fey in particular does great here. The music is great here but I felt it would be appreciated more by adults than children. The movie is too serious and has no room to insert comedy and when the script tries it fails, the cast though gets a few chuckles here and there.

B+

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:28 am
Extraordinary

I enjoyed it although I guess I was a little taken aback by what happens in the middle lol. Don't think this is one of Pixar's best but the message about life is endearing.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:42 pm
The Kramer

A+. Another masterpiece from Pixar. The music is as good as the feeling of being alive.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:45 pm
Hold the door!

This was excellent starting from the high concept twist on the body swap comedy. The beginning felt a little too formulaic Pixar, but they found the right beats to hit to make it feel fresh and original by the end. Very surprised they managed to keep so many surprises out of the marketing. But overall very good, would need to rewatch to know for sure where it ranks.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:47 pm
Forum General

This was pretty great and one of my favortie Pixar films in a while. It's just beautfully animated throughout with good music and alot of heart. Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey played off each other wonderfully.

B+

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:28 am
The Kramer

The Knicks joke nearly killed me. It explains so much. :hahaha:

Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:23 am
Top Poster

It’s “moving” scenes were surprisingly muted, it did not tug at emotions as much as say Onward or many other Pixar movies. Even though I still liked it, I got a sort of similar “that’s it?” feeling after Joe Gardner finally performed with the band,

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

I loved it though not as much as Inside Out or Coco. Top 10 but not top 5 Pixar for me.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:34 pm
Hold the door!

I like this more than Inside Out. The emotional beats here felt more earned. But Coco is top 3 for me so that’s a hard one to beat.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:23 pm
The Kramer

Alex Y. wrote:
It’s “moving” scenes were surprisingly muted, it did not tug at emotions as much as say Onward or many other Pixar movies. Even though I still liked it, I got a sort of similar “that’s it?” feeling after Joe Gardner finally performed with the band,
I think that was on purpose. Joe himself had the exact same "that's it?" reaction to finally living his dream. Helps cement the theme of living the life you have rather than chasing the one that is on the horizon. The grass isn't always greener.

Also, yes, even an A+ doesn't necessarily put it in the Pixar top 5. That list is just so stacked at this point.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:30 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really wonderful. The last 20 minutes are a sobfest. It's beautiful, gorgeously animated and inspiring. The score is also the best of the year without question. A

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I was a bucket of tears from this scene onward. This score is just :wub2:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:22 am
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

I found this really quite delightful. Excellent cast, good humor and with nice emotional touches. I usually never get that well into animated films, but this is some of the best I've seen. The animation itself is just fantastic and while 2020 might been a down year in several aspects, Soul is one of the great things to come out of it.

A-

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:37 am
Devil's Advocate

I thought this was one of the funnier Pixars in a while, the jokes about all off 22's previous mentors, Moonwind, Teri, etc. were great and I had no idea it was going to be a body switch movie. For Pixar standards I didn't get as emotional as in some other movies but it had a good message about not waiting for your life to begin and that it's already happening.

Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:56 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Quite excellent. A

I didn't see much of the trailers beforehand, but those that I did see just didn't interest me greatly at the time to seek this out earlier. Turns out it's just second to Coco among Pixar for me now, and is likely going to earn a decently high spot in my Top 100 (long overdue for an update).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
my Top 100 (long overdue for an update).
Do it!!!!

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I should before it becomes more troublesome later on. I probably will over the weekend.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]