Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train 

Rate this film:
A 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train
Quote:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train (Japanese: 劇場版「鬼滅の刃」 無限列車編, Hepburn: Gekijō-ban "Kimetsu no Yaiba" Mugen Ressha-hen), also known as Demon Slayer: Infinity Train, is a 2020 Japanese anime film based on the shōnen manga series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba by Koyoharu Gotōge. The film, which is a direct sequel to the 2019 anime series, is directed by Haruo Sotozaki and produced by Ufotable. The main Japanese and English casts of the anime series also returned to reprise their roles. The film was released on October 16, 2020 in Japan with widespread success, becoming the highest-grossing Japanese film of 2020, one of the highest-grossing films ever in Japan, one of the highest-grossing anime films ever, and the world's sixth highest-grossing film of 2020.

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:00 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train
The movie similarly to the series moves at brisk pace bringing great balance of emotional story with right amount of action though I did find that at times it was a bit predictable, yet that ending is just FIRE (pun intended). The action and animation is great in here almost always surprising with each frame though I didn't love the Demon Mugen Train graphics. I didn't like how Nezuko has almost no role in the movie and the trio didn't have enough to build this time around but I believe a lot of it has to do with squeezing things into a movie. The first half has wonderful storyline back story of acceptance to let go of a family that's lost. The second half has amazing action and is highly emotional as well. Its hard to grade this one because I want to watch it again and see if my grade increases/decreases but I will have to wait for DVD release (or hopefully it gets cheaper ticket price in theaters here).

B+

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 am
Star Trek XI

Just finished the special fan screening, now can understand why this movie is social phenomenom in Japan (I'm not talking about the visual or sound factors, they are very great already of course).
During the movie, there are many moments and messages relating to family, sibling, and especially senpai and kohai stuff. And Japanese people very love these values in life.
Not to mention very touching moment near the end relating to those stuff I just mentioned.
My only complaint is that Lisa edit song Homura is not subbed in my languague (maybe because the time is too short for the editor). Of course I already known the meanings because I watched the sub version on youtube before. But for other people, that song lyric is nice and works well with the final touching moment. So it is better if there is sub for people to understand.
9/10

Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:08 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Glad you liked it Alo and thank you for your review :thumbsup:

Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:41 am
Angels & Demons

I will try to be as objective as possible since I am a big fan of the show. I'll also try not to give spoilers. I can only speak about the subbed version as I have not watch this movie in dub (though I am fine with the dub of the show)

MANGA TO FILM ADAPTATION: 9/10
If there is one thing, Ufotable does best, it is definitely adapting the whole of Gotouge’s work Demon Slayer into animation. Because Demon Slayer manga is relative short, the studio can better translate and insert scenes that are featured in more future chapters into the storyline if they deemed it fit to the pacing of the show (as seen in Episode 25 of Season 1 and First Scene of the movie, Mugen Train)

Many of the fans who have already read the manga and know what will happen in the film won’t get spoiled as the Studio’s animation and on point sound direction enhances the experience. The studio is just brilliant with its OST and how well they use silence in highlighting important moves and scenes. Ufotable is just GOD in terms of animating action sequences- how clean and crisp the movements, camera angles and perspectives are. This perfect combination just fleshes out the emotion of the audience.

THEME 10/10
Family Bond has always been the core of Demon Slayer and this arc is no different. The plot is always straight forward and relatable. The movie just showcased why the tv series is the conclusion of the Coming Age Arc of Tanjiro. And in my opinion, what Gotouge’s writing really excels at besides empathy is the clashing of ideologies and what each of opposing characters represent thus making the stakes a lot higher.

CHARACTERS 10/10
Gotouge is also good in balancing the roles each character play. I love how Inosuke was given as much screen time as Tanjiro and how he really shined through especially with his end dialogue. Rengoku’s character was established really well
Spoiler: show
(even with such a short period time)
. There were many moments that gave more depth to Tanjiro’s character. Zenitsu’s and Nezuko’s may have shorter screentime than most but they were animated really well.

PLOT 9/10
There were many foundations that help build the world of demon slayer in this arc.
Spoiler: show
(Introduction of each breathing style, Tanjiro’s black sword, contrast between lower and upper moon, contrast between a level 10 demon slayer corp and a Hashira).
The shift between serious undertones to comedy is typical Demon slayer style. Fans or just anyone who had watched the anime would be familiar with this but may shock first time viewers.

DIALOGUE: 10/10
The voice acting especially of Tanjiro’s seiyuu (in the subbed) took it to the next level. It hits you where it hurts. His end dialogue just became so much more poignant because of the anguish you hear from his voice. You really feel how crush his spirits were. Rengoku’s entire dialogue throughout the film is inspiring, relatable and words to live by. His seiyuu’s voice acting has also done an excellent job.

Lastly, this movie was such a tribute to Rengoku as it was to the fans.

SN: My only criticism in this, is I wish the studio would have adapted until Chapter 67 of the manga (even if it’s just an end credit) just so that some of the plot points get across the audience who are anime only watchers. (In my theory, the studio assumed that the audience have all read the manga.) Gotouge’s writing has a lot of narration and Ufotable animates these or tell this through dialogues but some of the narrations were not included in the anime and in this film.

FINAL RATING: A

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:32 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

The animation is great again, but perhaps it's because ufotable did such a great job with the anime, but there wasn't a noticeable difference here. Not a complaint really, rather it's more praise for ufotable's work on the series so far since there's usually a noticeable quality difference between an anime and a movie from that anime (especially in the last decade or so).

The music is great, and I wish that I could find the piece that plays either when Tanjiro is fighting Enmu atop the train, or when Tanjiro and Inosuke are fighting to cut his neck a bit later on. I forget when it played, but there was an intense theme during one of these scenes with a choir in the background that I really enjoyed. The new mix of Tanjiro's Song when he's confronting Akaza was also amazing, just too short! Hope a full version is released at some point.

The voice actors all did very well once again. Natsuki Hanae (Tanjiro) in particular had a lot of work to do during this arc, so I hope he had some good vocal chord practice and care, before and after recording.

Really, if you like the anime and/or manga, there's nothing to dislike here as it's very faithful to the source material, a near page-to-screen adaptation again but with some small extended moments that made it an overall improvement again. Trying to judge the film as is, I can see it being a little less well-received (pacing is a little slow in the beginning, for example), and some of the CG animation is distracting (mostly Enmu after fusing with the train), but it's just mostly minor things. Tanjiro acknowledging the loss of his family and moving forward, along with the climax with Rengoku of course (classic moment), are what make this arc of the story some of the most satisfying. B+/A-.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:52 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

It definitely feels like we are watching a four episode arc all in one go. Which was fine, I am saisfied with the product, though I do wish my first trip back to the movie theaters had been a little more cinematic. That's entirely based on circumstances though, and I'm not gonna fault Mugen Train for it.

They do a very job of reintroducing the characters, using the dreams as both an expisitory plot device and as a new type of challenge for our warriors to overcome. Most importantly they give us a deep insight into Rengoku's history, someone who had previously been used for comic relief (at least compared to all the brooding Hashira we had met before the final episodes of season 1.) Always optimistic, always looking ahead at something none of the other characters can see, not being defined by his desire to impress his father. I did think they would do more with the father. They never showed his face and it made me think that maybe it is also Tanjiro's father. I wish they had explored that further rather than saving those tears for another day, would have helped with the "cinematicness" of it all. And I really do wish they had let Rengoku finish the job against #3, but they saved that one for another day too. Yet despite missing those two things, he does a complete arc and as soon as the Mugen train crashes, the movie rides on Rengoku's train all the way to the finish.

My favorite parts were the score, which is the most cinematic part of the experience. And when Tanjiro and Inosuke defeat the train I got all sorts of feels. The other fights are all great too, but I thought that one really stood out as the most exciting and perfect 'hero' moments for all the characters.

I'll give Mugen Train a strong B+, and I'd like to watch it again so that may eventually rise to an A-.

Mon May 03, 2021 3:55 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Your second paragraph will be covered at the very start of season 2 (episode one, most likely). Perhaps they should have ended this film by adapting the next couple of chapters (forget the exact number, but it's short). But prolonging the ending may have taken away the impact of the last moments as a film adaptation, not to mention push it closer to 2.5 hours than 2 hours.

And it probably encourages any newcomers, and/or non-manga readers, to return for season two as well.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon May 03, 2021 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Finally caught this tonight after finishing the first season of the anime earlier today. Had a really good time with it (although was surprised at how much the story continued after the train de-railed). The emotional beats here were just as affecting as in the show (if not moreso).

After the rout with the upper-ranking demon it did leave me wondering why Muzan doesn't have them go slaughter all the Harisha (and then remaining Demon Slayer corps) at night with such a power imbalance. Aside from being out-numbered (and storyline purposes ofc), is it just a matter of him seeing such a task as beneath them? I figure there must be something else preventing it, though.

Mon May 10, 2021 3:00 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

As you said, basically it's for storyline purposes for future arcs right now, but a satisfactory explanation for the present time without any spoilers: The Hashira aren't ever gathered in one place outside of meetings at the Demon Slayer Corps headquarters (where Ubuyashiki, the ill Master, and his family reside). And Muzan doesn't know the whereabouts of the Demon Slayer Cops headquarters, and Ubuyashiki doesn't know the whereabouts of Muzan.

Mon May 10, 2021 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

It still feels like Muzan could just wipe them out at any point if he wanted to. :unsure:

Also, didn't he kill all of the lower ranked demons at the end of season 1? Where did Dream come from?

Mon May 10, 2021 3:09 pm
Angels & Demons

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
It still feels like Muzan could just wipe them out at any point if he wanted to. :unsure:

Also, didn't he kill all of the lower ranked demons at the end of season 1? Where did Dream come from?

Muzan has his own goals which would have been explained in the movie had the studio animated until chap 67 of the manga. But I guess they wanted to focus on the emotions. The arc of Mugen train actually ends at chap 69 so there were still some plot points that would help make the story whole but will definitely be tackled in the next season instead :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the last episode, he spared the lower moon 1 (Muzan cruelly said, if you survive the vast amount of blood I gave you) and the episode has an end credit (if you finish the opening song) that shows Lower 1 and Rengoku on the Train :yes:

Mon May 10, 2021 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]