Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Misery 

What grade would you give this film?
A 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Misery 
College Boy Z

Post Misery
Misery

Quote:
Misery is a 1990 American thriller film, based on Stephen King's 1987 novel of the same name. Directed by Rob Reiner, the film received critical acclaim for Kathy Bates' performance as the psychopathic Annie Wilkes. The film was ranked #12 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

Kathy Bates won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role as Annie Wilkes in Misery.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

One of the most terrifying films ever. Kathy Bates is absolutely brilliant here and delivers a multi-layered and incredibly haunting performance. The hobbling moment is one of the scariest movie moments ever, IMO.

9/10 (A)

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:37 am
Profile YIM
Some days I'm a super bitch

Yeah, a great movie I agree. If they ever made a tribute for Kathy Bates, this would probably be the headlining performance.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

What I really loved about this movie is the greatness that resulted from minimalism. Despite only having 2 major characters (and three minor ones) and few setpieces, the storytelling and the acting and of those involved made what seems like a standard horror-thriller into something much more. Who knew Kathy Bates could play someone that can be so sweet and eccentric at one time, turn vicious and maniacal at another. She deserved her Oscar - probably one of the only few genuine "ugly bitch" performance. James Caan was terrific and Richard Farnsworth, Frances Sternhagen, and Lauren Bacall did splendid in their supporting turns.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

Me? Orgasm? NEVER!

What I really loved about this movie is the greatness that resulted from minimalism. Despite only having 2 major characters (and three minor ones) and few setpieces, the storytelling and the acting and of those involved made what seems like a standard horror-thriller into something much more. Who knew Kathy Bates could play someone that can be so sweet and eccentric at one time, turn vicious and maniacal at another. She deserved her Oscar - probably one of the only few genuine "ugly bitch" performance. James Caan was terrific and Richard Farnsworth, Frances Sternhagen, and Lauren Bacall did splendid in their supporting turns.

I know. There were parts in the movie where she was so nice that I would feel awkward hating on her.....even after she turned into a psychopath. :blush:

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Christian wrote:
Me? Orgasm? NEVER!

I know. There were parts in the movie where she was so nice that I would feel awkward hating on her.....even after she turned into a psychopath. :blush:

Actually

I felt really bad for her when [spoil]Paul fed her burning paper and hit her with a typewriter[/spoil] :blush:

I know she was a psychokiller... but still!!!

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:11 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Cotton wrote:
Christian wrote:
Me? ######? NEVER!

Actually

I felt really bad for her when [spoil]Paul fed her burning paper and hit her with a typewriter[/spoil] :blush:

I know she was a psychokiller... but still!!!

You felt bad for her?? She took a sledgehammer and broke this guy's foot for heaven sakes and held him captive.. :blink: This bitc* was crazy, but a BRILLIANT movie that get's an "A" from me..

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Too small. I wanted to kill Kathy Bates. That's never good IMO; I don't like having a villain I hate. The plot becomes too simple without any suspense IMO. That was certainly the case here especially given the lack of anything new to drive it forward.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:00 am
Profile ICQ
We had our time together

Extremely intense movie with a lifetime performance by Bates. She makes this movie. A

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I think this is one of the all time great performances in the history of film, man or woman. And I did call Bates winning best actress that year before she even got the nomination. She was that good. Film was fantastic as well, one of King's three best adapted films.

10/10

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:34 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I need to rewatch this. All I remember if the whole breaking-legs stuff (ouch!) and the teemendous turn by Bates. Man, I hated her character deeply, yet felt sad for her at the same time.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I saw this on cable the other day for the first time in forever.

I think Kathy Bates delivers the best villainous performance of all time with the exception of Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter, probably.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Even thinking about that sledgehammer makes me cringe. One of the best of the King adaptations, Kathy Bates re-defines the word psycho.

A

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Excellent movie that could have easily been terrible with a bad actress. Fortunately, Bates steals the show with a fun and lively performance.

A-

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:25 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

Bates gives by far the best villainous performance by an actress of all time. She was absoultely brilliant and brings the movie up to a completely new level.

A-

Tue May 29, 2007 12:35 pm
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

Solid A. My ankles hurt everytime I think of this movie. I have bad ankles from years as a track and soccer player, I wouldnt have screamed I would have cried for the rest of my life.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue May 29, 2007 1:13 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Kathy Bates is all that needs to be said. Awesome performance. And like someone mentioned, I hated her, yet felt sorry for her at the same time, and those are usually my favorite types of characters.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed May 30, 2007 5:21 am
Profile WWW
---------

Post Re: Misery
Holy crap, this movie was amazing. I don't think I was bored for a second. It is quite the horrifying thriller. But I think overall it was mostly a comedy on how evil and crazy this woman could be. I was so glad when Caan took the typewriter to her head. Is that bad?

Can't believe I hadn't watched this classic til now.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:40 am
---------

Post Re:
Christian wrote:
Me? Orgasm? NEVER!

Is this line in the movie or something out of curiosity? I don't recall a scene with anyone saying that.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:48 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Truly 1 of the great Stephen King adaptations, but the book IS better.. Do any of you read books anymore or is everything now done online cause you should read the novel.. Novels are always more descriptive...

Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Really fun thriller and King adaptation. Bates as Annie is a great villain because she is a fan of something like all of us, and sometimes she is nice, she is just fucking crazy. Caan performance is also really good, and the sheriff's comic relief is much needed.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]