Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 

Rate this film:
A 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 
Keeping it Light

Post Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Quote:
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a 2018 American computer-animated superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Miles Morales / Spider-Man, produced by Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation in association with Marvel, and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. It is set in a shared multiverse called the "Spider-Verse", which features different alternate universes. The film was directed by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, and Rodney Rothman from a screenplay by Phil Lord and Rothman, and stars Shameik Moore as Morales, alongside Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, Mahershala Ali, Brian Tyree Henry, Lily Tomlin, Luna Lauren Velez, John Mulaney, Nicolas Cage, and Liev Schreiber.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:12 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Might be the best animated film of the year.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:20 am
Romosexual!

It IS the best animated AND superheroe film of the year

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:45 am
now we know

I bet Disney are kicking themselves. If they knew people would love DTV-level animation, they'd have released The Lion 2: Simba's Pride in theaters!!

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I very much enjoyed this. I do think it's a bit overpraised though, and at the end of the day I'd still put Spider-Man 2 and Homecoming over this because those two are still my favorite Spider-Man films, but I can definitely see where all the love is coming from. The movie just looks gorgeous throughout and I loved how the animation was a combination 2D drawn stuff and 3D which definitely gave it that extra pop. The character stuff is great too, especially the voice acting and the performances. As stunning as the action sequences were in this it was the emotional scenes that got too me the most and are easily my favorite parts of this movie. The stuff with Miles and his uncle was so damn good and his relationship with both Gwen and Peter was downright touching at times. However, my biggest gripes with this film come down to villains which I honestly thought were kind of on the weaker side. I appreciated the fact that they were trying to do something different and interesting with Kingpin this time around and while I liked him I didn't really buy into his motivation.

I think if he had more development it would have worked a lot better, but maybe that's just me. The rest of the villains didn't do much for me either except be there to fight the good guys and while the dynamic with the other Spider people was a ton of fun the only one that really made an impression on me was Nic Cage as Spider-Man Noir. I absolutely loved him, and I hope he comes back for a sequel, because IMO we didn't get nearly enough time with those characters. Spider-Ham had a great little moment too and my god was that after credits scene some of the funniest and most random shit I have ever seen lol.

B+

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm
Extraordinary

This is sooo much more enjoyable than Homecoming.

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse
Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man 3

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I liked this a lot! It was miles better than Homecoming for sure and was just a lot of fun overall. The animation is also absolutely stunning.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:41 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Sometimes I let a match burn all the way down just to feel something.

This movie is really funny. :funny:

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:36 pm
now we know

This was incredible. Super creative and a whole heap of fun. Story is an excellent palette cleanser for the previous six Spider-Man movies, despite me actually loving the last three....this animated adventure was much-needed. The comedy worked. The animation is gorgeous and hip and intelligent. Loved it. Cage's "Noir Spider-Man" was great!

1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
2. The Amazing Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
5. Spider-Man 2
6. Spider-Man
7. Spider-Man 3

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I am not a huge Spider-Man fan, so I did not go in with any outsize expectations or harshly defined preconceived notions. It is just very obviously a clever and fast-paced film made with a lot of artistic care. And Nicolas Cage's film-noir Spider-Man is definitely a treat; films such as this and Mandy show a path forward for him, one where he can rise out of direct-to-video-equivalent fare by emphasizing his eccentric reputation in more prestigious fare. It is still early days, though, of course.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:05 pm
Keeping it Light

This is enjoyable overall. The way it introduces the multidimensional spider-verse is fun, I was just not caring much for Morales' angle. It pleasantly surprised me too, as I thought we really didn't need another Spider-man film, but this hits a lot of right marks with the story. The animation is good too, but the film was never able to engage me with it either. By far the best parts were all the interactions of other dimensions spider-men (a "failed" one, a noir one (greatly characterized by Nic Cage), a pig one, a Japanese one, a girl one). I think it could have been a bit more snappy also, the film's a good time, but I started to feel the run-time in the second half.

B

1. Spider-Man
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
5. Spider-Man 3
6. The Amazing Spider-Man
7. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:37 pm
Child Actor

(waving to everyone) Hey chicos...

Not 100% sure but I think the Spider-kid was bitten by the spider after he meets the cute spider-kid-girl at the school... which is kind of a paradox... isn't it? or my brain is messing around with me?

(Scratching my head with question mark on my face)

Anyway... I loved it... I didn't think it was going to be that good... surprisedly was....

A-

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 pm
now we know

Yeah. I'm trying to make an excuse for it not being a plot-hole, but I just can't at the moment. Why is she at that school? Miles hadn't been bitten at the point yet, so she had no reason to have chosen that school to attend. Is it just a coincidence? The collider hadn't even happened at that point yet.

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

She & the spider were thrown back in time from her dimension.
When Miles was walking to school, one of the kids asked him if he felt the earthquake the previous night.
Saw it again today :D in 3D this time. Holds up really fucking well & I can’t get over how gorgeous the animation looks.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I can't think of another movie whose visuals compare to what's on display here. It's borderline hallucinogenic, especially the last 20 minutes. Insanely creative and unique in that department. Editing, music, and artistic direction are on fire here. Feels very fresh and relatively free from constraint.

The rest---namely the script & character development---are handled well, but something about the frenetic comic book style kept me from engaging fully with the emotional content. It's a little too snappy and clever on the whole for the heavier beats of the film to land with due significance. Despite the stakes, it feels very very light.

I loved the different Spider-'people' from different dimensions, especially Spider-Noir and Gwen Stacey. Jake Johnson's schlubby, washed-up version is quite tender and adorable. And I appreciate the ethnic diversity of Miles and his family.

Part of me wants to see it again, another part of me doesn't think I can handle it on the big screen. I was nearly overwhelmed during the climax.... walked out of the theater feeling like the LSD was just wearing off.

A- / B+

Third best animated film of the year, maybe the fourth best Spider-man movie (after the two originals and Homecoming).

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:56 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A/A-

With a 2nd viewing may end up my 2nd fav spidey film after the 2nd.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:55 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

SPIDERMAN INTO THE SPIDERVERSE

First, I was stunned by the visual animation in this film. I really don't think I've seen animation like this ever. It felt like a mix of the walking dead tell tale type yet more fluid and at times some shots seemed very photo realistic to me. Second, I liked the cast, the plot and the action. The voice acting was excellent. Hearing Nic Cage was a pleasure. The female doc oct was cool. I found this to be very funny as well and with emotion at times. I also enjoyed the soundtrack for the film. I will definitely be purchasing this at some point. Grats to the directors and this was the best animated film of 2018.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:27 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Best animated film of the year. Its really quite superb.

Of note: I saw this in early January at a 3 screen drive-in. It was playing on my least favourite screen of the three as that screen tends to get some indirect light making the picture a bit darker. Bad news when I went to see films Hannibal and The Jungle Book - but made no difference to this visually stunning and vibrant film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:17 am
100% That Bitch

Finally saw this movie and after all the hype it did not disappoint.

Just A all across the board.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 am
Devil's Advocate

The animation is crisp AF, they did an amazing job in that area. "Peter B Parker" and the other spidermen were fun. Like a lot of live action Marvel the villain is a weak point, Kingpin's plan felt a little generic and I think his look made him harder to take seriously as a real person.

Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:28 pm
Hold the door!

I need to watch this again. I did the other night and found it complicated

Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:49 pm
Hold the door!

A fun movie that has creative visuals and action sequences, even if it’s dramatic heft is smaller in scale than the Raimi films or no Way Home

Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]