Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Venom (2018) 

Rate this film:
A 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Venom (2018) 
Keeping it Light

Post Venom (2018)

Quote:
Venom is a 2018 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, produced by Columbia Pictures in association with Marvel. Distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing, it is the first film in Sony's Marvel Universe, adjunct to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Ruben Fleischer from a screenplay by Scott Rosenberg, Jeff Pinkner, and Kelly Marcel, and stars Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock / Venom, alongside Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed, Scott Haze, and Reid Scott. In Venom, journalist Brock is bound to an alien symbiote that gives him superpowers.

Sony began developing a Venom film after the character made his cinematic debut in Spider-Man 3 (2007). After various iterations, work on a new version began in March 2017 to start a new shared universe featuring the Marvel characters to which Sony possessed the film rights, though Sony also intended for the film to share the world of Spider-Man: Homecoming, which is set in the MCU after a deal between Sony and Marvel Studios. Rosenberg and Pinkner were set to write, with Fleischer and Hardy added in May 2017. Principal photography began in October 2017, taking place in Atlanta, New York City, and San Francisco.

Venom premiered in Westwood, Los Angeles on October 1, 2018, and was released in the United States on October 5, 2018.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:37 am
Superfreak

Post Re: Venom
B. much better than rt score

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:02 am
Extraordinary

Has some good moments and Tom Hardy is enjoyable but it just reeks with scenes that fall flat.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:54 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was unwatchable. I was embarrassed to be watching it. So cringeworthy. D-

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

It's trash, but I wouldn't compare it to bottom of the barrel stuff like Catwoman or Elektra. I was at least entertained for the most part while watching this even though it takes forever for Venom to actually show up. I honestly believe Hardy gave a pretty good performance here, and I enjoyed some of the back and forth between him and Venom, but the writing/dialogue is fucking atrocious the majority of the time. The script is a mess and it shows because there are barely any characters in this movie with Michelle Williams being completely wasted and Riz Ahmed being a worthless, lame excuse of a villain.

Also, are they serious with that post credit scene lol? There is no way I'm going to able to take Woody Harrelson seriously in that horrible red wig as Carnage.

C+

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:00 pm
Romosexual!

B- way more fun than I expected. Bring on the sequel with Carnage :D

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:51 pm
Extraordinary

The audience ate this up. I think it will not be a Daredevil/Green Hornet type mess.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

VENOM

This was a fun comic book film. I wasn't sure what to expect but I did go in with a positive view from the trailers. Tom Hardy was great as Brock and Venom's voice. I liked his reporter life and the normal everyman persona he had. Venom literally could have been attached to anyone and it just happens to be this recently unemployed guy. I thought Michelle Williams was okay as the wife. Idk about her voice/speech. Everything seems strangely high lately. Riz was okay as Drake. His expressive eyes add to the overall look and believability of his character but overall not memorable. Finally, the film starts off slow to be honest but once Venom has infect Brock it just accelerates and becomes a wonderful origin story/introduction/theme ride all at once. I loved every moment with Venom. He had great quips, he was awesome in full Venom mode, he was a beast and his fight with the Swat and Riot were both entertaining and exciting. I will definitely watch this again and buy this on blu ray no doubt.

Grade - A

Flack Rotten Tomatoes fake critic scores too btw.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:14 am
The Kramer

Yeah the lowered expectations (from the trailers not just the reviews) probably helped but I really enjoyed this. Hardy and Venom's back and forths are fun and totally make the movie. I would watch a Seinfeld-type show about them as roommates. Michelle Williams and the villain are both pretty hollow as characters but I enjoyed their roles in the story. My favorite side character was Dan from Veep. Perfect casting. A great and helpful guy, but since it's Dan from Veep you know he is a little slimey on the inside and can root for Eddie to steal his girlfriend without feeling bad.

The only big disappointment is the final battle, shot at night, where it is really hard to tell what is going on and who is who. The CGI looks great in the rest of the movie though. Especially anytime that Eddie turns into Venom. Oh and I was very disappointed that I sat through 10 minutes of credits just for an Into The Spiderverse trailer. Fuck off with that Sony.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:22 pm
now we know

So I didn't really like this. I don't know...I just found it a bit shit and rushed. I watched the entire film and still I feel like I never really saw Venom enough to actually remember it. It's an odd film. The cinematography in the action sequences is awful, especially in the final showdown with Riot. It's very much what I expected it would be knowing that it's from Sony. A total throwaway action flick. It might be making money, but it's not a film full of quality. I couldn't get to grips with Venom talking to Brock, and the way he talks to him and the things he says ... it's all so infantile and hip. Venom is alien goo. It's so absurd. I guess there is a certain comic value to it if I was 12, but I was never enamoured by it. And then there's Tom Hardy. Such an awful American accent. He sounds retarded. So when the majority of the dialogue turned me off, it was difficult for me to enjoy Venom. The film also feels like there's not much to it. It begins, Venom has a motorcycle chase, then kills a bunch of security guards in the lobby, then it's the finale, then it's over. Venom is a low stakes popcorn bore. C-

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:36 am
Profile WWW
now we know

There's one odd scene in this film featuring Riz Ahmed talking to a bunch of children. A black girl (equality!) speaks up to ask a question and is shushed by the rest of the class. Riz says some bullshit about not silencing those with the courage to question things, then he brings her to the front and he fucks off. I'm not sure whether that was intended to show that he's a superficial cunt, but I thought it was funny how he spouts this holier-than-thou crap then doesn't give her the platform to ask the question anyway.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:55 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Also, maybe I missed a scene where they tell us that all the cameras are down, but when Brock is in Riz Ahmed's facility, surely a security camera caught him, right? But it seems not. Riz grills that female technician to give up the name of who her accomplice was. I cannot believe such a facility doesn't have CCTV. Or maybe the genius just forgot to check it.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Algren wrote:
Also, maybe I missed a scene where they tell us that all the cameras are down, but when Brock is in Riz Ahmed's facility, surely a security camera caught him, right? But it seems not. Riz grills that female technician to give up the name of who her accomplice was. I cannot believe such a facility doesn't have CCTV. Or maybe the genius just forgot to check it.

This is all I could think about while she was "sneaking" him in.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:26 pm
Keeping it Light

It's not amazing but I was quite entertained by it. Hardy is great, and that sells a lot of the movie I think. The rest of the cast is fine too, though unremarkable, especially Riz Ahmed is a dull villain, but Riot was cool. The story itself is decent too, but the script is the film's biggest problem. It's either rather generic or with holes here and there, and that's too bad, but I liked the tone and the humour and came away satisfied with it after all. Soundtrack is pleasant too.

B

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 am
now we know

Hardy's character and performance are at odds. He is meant to be this investigative reporter. So...presumably quick-witted and clever, but his performance is anything but. He's dirty and lazy and he has a retard's voice. With the hunchback and the limp he is closer to Quasimodo than Eddie Brock.

Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:02 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I don't see how this is so much worse than say, Ant-Man and the Wasp, or Thor 2, or Hulk, or Iron Man 2. Honestly I thought it was really entertaining and fast paced. Unlike a lot of superhero movies which suffer from bloat, it used its 90 minute run time to the best of its ability. The action sequences are awesome, and Venom is an awesome character. Eddie Brock was also super sympathetic, he deserves way better than that Anne chick who threw him away over nothing like WTH. You don't go from engaged to broken up over your partner trying to expose corruption. She's a piece of shit.

B+

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:22 pm
Superman: The Movie

Quick, fun, and dumb. Thankfully Hardy knows what kind of film he’s in (even if his American accent makes him sound like he’s constantly drunk). I also like how the film has an 112 minute runtime. 94 is the movie itself before credits. There’s a 3 minute scene with Carnage. Then there’s 10 minutes of credits. And then it ends with a 5 minute sneak peak of Into the Spider-Verse. It’s kind of amazing that someone could’ve walked out after the movie was over (Carnage adds nothing) and little did they know that the projector would still run for another 20 minutes.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Venom (2018)
Quick, fun, and dumb is probably the best way to describe it. I was mostly entertained, so won't criticize it too much.

The dialogue and humor is rough, mostly bordering on cringe and falling flat the majority of the time. What helps though is that it's not trying, I don't think, to be a serious film. So, separating itself from being serious tone allows some of the "dumb" that comes through (often) to almost fit in in a way.

CGI was pretty good, and another example of the pandemic doing something harmful to the visual effects studios because there has been a noticeable downgrade in CGI post-2020. Films released last decade (2010-2019) look much better than those this decade so far.

Tom Hardy was satisfying enough, and the frantic behavior he gave the character came through well.

C+/B-. Better than that 30% RT score. I'm looking forward to the sequel seeing that its RT score almost doubled this one. Was it critics sort of "correcting" their review of the original after it was a hit at the box office and with most audiences? Or is it a strict upgrade of a film? Interested to find out.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]