Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Unsane 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Unsane 
Pure Phase

Post Unsane

Quote:
Unsane is a 2018 American psychological horror-thriller film shot, edited, and directed by Steven Soderbergh and written by Jonathan Bernstein and James Greer.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:19 pm
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Unsane
That might've been the quickest response time ever for this section. :funny:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

This is a tremendous film; it and Steven Soderbergh's prior pictures Contagion and Side Effects form a near perfect triptych of medical paranoia. It is a suspenseful experience to an almost nauseating degree. The claustrophobic, experimental iPhone photography and Claire Foy's blistering performance combine to give it a first-person immediacy; we are with our desperate and flawed heroine every step of the way as she is victimized by hospital bureaucracy and placed in life-threatening peril. It is also a prime example of the economy Soderbergh continues to hone with every new project; there is not an ounce of fat on this film, and every scene is crisply staged and shaped and spring-loaded for maximum tension. The third-act encounters in the padded cell...wow.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm
The Kramer

Are you guys for real? This is one of the most absurd movies I have ever seen. It plays like The Room. The iphone overwhelms everything, breaking the illusion in every scene. Anytime there was a close up I could only see a phone being shoved in somebodies face. It also makes everything look shitty. And it gives nauseating editing. And so much of the movie comes off as ridiculous.

It could have been a decent though, the scenes in the isolation room have ace writing. Somebody really just needed to tell him the gimmick wasn’t working. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:49 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Magnus wrote:
Ascetically, it really is no different than any cinema verite style movie. So not sure why that bothered you that much.

Didn't know this movie was religious.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:38 pm
The Kramer

Magnus wrote:
Ascetically, it really is no different than any cinema verite style movie. So not sure why that bothered you that much.
Yes it is. It is so much more ugly and distracting then anything I’ve seen. It should
Have been released straight to Instagram. I get that he is making a point about how we view the world now. And if it was just the shots maybe I could have gotten past it. But a lot of the line deliveries are equally absurd. Like I was cracking up during the entire scene with the shrink near the beginning. And I’m convinced it was because the actors didn’t know how to react with a phone shoved in their face. It breaks the illusion for eveyone.

This is an MST3K type of movie. If you can get past the gimmick, all the better for you. But the gimmick will never get past itself.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Liked the movie and its concept. Good B grade thriller where problems keep escalating till the very finale and closes with a bang! Wasn't a fan of Foy and the story (specially the way she got institutionalized). I generally like Soderbergh but wasn't a fan of directional choices here, camera and unable to set any dread of the mental institution.

5/10

Last edited by Jack Sparrow on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:08 am
Wallflower

This was an excellent psychological thriller. So glad I caught it on the big screen. The fact that it's filmed on an iPhone is impressive. Not that it doesn't look like it is. It's just fascinating how successful this experiment is and that Soderbergh was able to make an entire film on a phone. Claire Foy is great. I thought the finale was pretty suspenseful. Definitely recommend it to anyone open minded enough to not be bothered by the way it's filmed.

8/10 (A-)

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:43 am
Forum General

It's not like this is really much of an experiment, other filmmakers have filmed entire movies on iPhones to great effect.

This is my favorite movie of the year so far. Incredibly tense, dark and ultimately a pretty draining experience. Claire Foy was sensational and deserves an Oscar nomination.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I'm pretty meh on this myself. I didn't find it awful or anything, but I didn't find Claire Foy's character very likable or sympathetic at all, especially after she does something towards the end that causes the death of another character. It had some tense/creepy moments though and the acting is solid across the board, especially Joshua Leonard who haven't seen in a lot of stuff and it was pretty cool seeing him as the villain in this.

C+

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:26 am
now we know

You know when you've seen a great film, and I've just seem one. Unsane is a superbly tense thriller. So simple yet I don't think I've seen a film like this before. David is creepy as fuck. Soderbergh hits another one right out of the park. Can't be bothered to dissect it in written form. Just loved it.

A

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Awesome. Then we get the “Six Months Later” scene. I’m not sure if it’s necessary. We get it. She killed Dave yet Dave will never truly leave here. But even if it is necessary, it probably could’ve been done a little more elegantly and subtly. Something like, she “sees” him walking down the street, a bus rolls by, turns out it’s not him. She shakes her head, dramatic music, end of movie. This whole thing with the business meeting and the knife, and the running out of the restaurant with a dumb freeze frame that belongs in another movie. That was just dumb. Some people might also misinterpret it as that maybe she was a little crazy after all, and that’s not how people should be thinking after watching this.

But, this is an awesome idea for a movie that is executed pretty damn brilliantly, especially with the choice to shoot it on an iPhone. I completely disagree with Sparrow. The choice to shoot it on an iPhone allows the camera to in every character’s face and creates a perfect sense of dread. Not to mention that she’s a woman in 2018 who no one will listen to juxtaposed with being in a mental hospital where (almost everyone) thinks your crazy. That’s a perfect setup for horror and dread.

And David’s casting, is just so perfect. When you picture someone living in their mother’s basement, that’s the guy. I hope this poor guy has a successful career cause he’s almost too good here. Foy is solid. And Juno Temple is kind of wasted.

The movie has a couple of small problems, but otherwise it’s pretty damn great.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Just caught up on this and it's another quality Soderbergh effort. Give him a decent script, actors and any camera, even an iphone and he makes the most of it. Unsane is thrilling and engaging, delving into interesting topics of stalkers and mental issues. Soderbergh's films usually stand out with their cinematography and score but Claire Foy is great and elevates it too.

B+

Mon May 29, 2023 2:54 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes another SS gem that sort of came and went without much fam fare. Amazingly good for an iPhone shot film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]