Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Leatherface (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Leatherface (2017) 
Pure Phase

Post Leatherface (2017)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Leatherface (2017)
I enjoyed this. It is a relatively top-tier Texas Chainsaw franchise entry...which is not the hardest bar to clear, but I mean it as a compliment nonetheless. I see it as a fan fiction; I will not watch the classic original film in the future and say, "Oh, wow, this is enriched because I now know Leatherface's history as a conflicted, handsome teenage mental patient." But in and of itself, it is a well-shot, well-acted, and involving pulp variation on the Badlands young-criminals-on-the-run template. I do wish it were 10, maybe 15 minutes longer. It all but rushes from incident to incident and would be improved by an extra moment of character development here, an occasional atmospheric pause there.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:10 pm
Forum General

Yeah I thought this was surprisingly decent coming off the big disappointment that was Texas Chainsaw 3D. The first 10 minutes were rough due to some really bad dialogue and over the top acting, but it does get better from there. Most might see it as misleading because it's less of a slasher and more of a Devil's Rejects/Natural Born Killers type of horror film, but I liked the direction they went with it and it helps that the escape patients here are all solid actors.

I especially loved Stephen Dorff in this as he utilized much better than he was in Jackals. Also, the gore and brutality is very well done, but what else do you expect from the guys who made the original Inside.

C+

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:50 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was boring and dumb. C-

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

It was not very good. I was pretty disappointed. Honestly, as dumb as it may be, I found Texas Chainsaw 3D to be a more entertaining movie.

5/10 ( C )

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

This might be the weirdest franchise ever. Like why is it so hard to make a decent movie? I mean Halloween , Saw and Jason have had godawful films. But they at least had solid films once in a while sprinkled throughout.

And it's not like Jaws or Superman where it was nonstop studio problems. They seem to literally give the same movie to unknowns to make it their own. And they fail miserably every time. The reboot was so simple and so effective. It's rednecks and murder, why is that so hard to make. Even Chucky has found life. It's almost every Texas sequel is the worst sequel ever made.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 pm
now we know

I thought the big fat kid was going to be Leatherface! The cover is totally misleading. This film makes no sense! I mean, the thin kid was obviously in that mental asylum for a reason, but he seemed pretty normal to me, and why the fuck would he instantly change into a psycho? Anyway, even if it makes sense, it was a pretty shit film. I hate that whole redneck dungarees country family scene, but even this was tame. I hate this franchise, and the original is the worst film ever made, but this was too well shot and staged to work in any capacity as a Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, which after all is meant to be so revolting that it makes you want to stop the movie. That being said, I feel like I need a mental detox after watching this.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Child Actor

D

This was boring to watch, and thankfully I didn't pay money to see it. The acting is pretty bad, but Stephen Dorff easily gives the best performance. He is the only character I rooted for, wanted to see or found interesting. The remaining cast is bland and forgettable. The kid that is Leatherface actually has the most sense of any of the kids and feels out of place being in a mental institution. The blood / gore effects are pretty standard, nothing you haven't seen before.

The first half plays more like a Bonnie and Clyde origin than TCM. It feels disjointed & miss directed. The story is weak as hell, nothing about it grabs your attention. The setting captures some of the 50s / 60s tone, but doesn't have that gritty & grimey feel of a Texas Chainsaw film.

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]