Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Okja 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Okja 
Pure Phase

Post Okja

Quote:
Okja is a 2017 South Korean-American action-adventure film directed by Bong Joon-ho and co-written by Bong and Jon Ronson.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Okja
I despised Snowpiercer and thought it was one of the worst films of that year, but this is mostly delightful. It's charming and well-done, with some great action sequences and a really poignant message. I thought all of the cast was great, particularly Tilda Swinton and Jake Gyllenhaal in scenery-chewing performances. Well worth checking out. B+

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:40 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

I liked this about as much as Snowpiecer. It does have some charm and heart to it, but I don't think the different tones meshed that well together at all. As far as the performances go the main girl and Paul Dano stood out the most, but I found Tilda Swinton to just be serviceable as the villain, however I thought Jake Gyllenhal was awful. I couldn't stand his character, especially his annoying, squeaky voice and while that my have been intentional it was the wrong choice IMO.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:23 pm
Pure Phase

A problematic, but also very striking film. It has a pair of standout sequences: the (vehicular, foot) chase through Seoul is an involving and extremely well-choreographed action sequence...then there is the third-act visit to the slaughterhouse, a plunge into industrial cruelty and filth which aims to disquiet and certainly does. There are also a few very fine performances: the child lead (Ahn Seo-Hyun) is assured and charming; Paul Dano's low-key intensity as an animal-rights activist is captivating and, in a curious way, poignant; and though this type of high-wire, writ-large-in-neon acting is no longer a revelation from her, Tilda Swinton is exuberantly contemptible in dual roles as sisters both traumatized and inspired by their late father's corporate greed.

These many qualities are, unfortunately, counteracted to a degree by a few notable flaws. I have immense respect for him as an actor and movie star, and I am sure he is rising to the occasion and performing as directed, but Jake Gyllenhaal delivers a dreadful performance as the over-the-hill host of an animal-themed television series (imagine Steve Irwin multiplied by Elmo and dosed with methamphetamine). He is undoubtedly intended to be an uncomfortable, almost perverse presence, but the characterization still feels unproductive and overwrought. The film grinds to a cringe-inducing, embarrassing, screeching halt every time he is allowed to dominate a scene and go on...and on...and on... And in general, I am not sure director and co-writer Bong Joon-ho always navigates extreme tonal shifts particularly well. He is more effective here when focusing on action, drama, and sentimentality versus his more strained satire, which feels earnest at its pro-vegan core, but tends toward the juvenile and the abrasive in execution.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:34 am
Pure Phase

Though I believe they are still figuring out how to advertise and launch an original movie, Netflix is the perfect home for this. It would have died in theatres. And Bong Joon-ho's fans should certainly be pleased he was given 50 million dollars without, obviously, any type of creative restraint.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:43 am
Wallflower

I do think it's kind of a shame we can't see this on a big screen. Looks perfect for that. I've yet to watch the film but it looks really good.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:07 pm
The Kramer

I loved this so much. It made me feel so happy, then so sad and then happy again and so one for the entire two hours. It's a darkly comedic take on a very serious subject and those are the roads I love to walk on.

The point that put it over the top for me was the random disgruntled truck driver. And then right after we are introduced to the friendliest eco terrorists of all time. :funny:

BJH was tied 2-2 for movies I had seen of his and this defiantly breaks that tie. It's all or nothing with he and I apparently.

I cried at the end when the superpigs were wailing to show both their happiness at the little one escaping and the acceptance of their own fate. Sue me.

A+

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:43 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I need to see this. Its been on my Netflix list for so very long.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:47 pm
now we know

This is a wonderful film. It really stands out when you watch a truly original film, but this one actually works. It can be tough to sit through the ideas of an original filmmaker, such as a Tenet or a Jupiter Ascending, but Okja is genuinely unique and also entertaining. And it's not always the case when you have one of those 'east meets west' productions (a la Snowpiercer), but again it works so well considering the story but the merge of global talent and themes is quite spectacular. Having now watched all of Bong Joon-ho's films, I can securely say that he is one of my favourite directors.

Jake Gyllenhaal is pretty great here. It's nice to see an actor show range, and here he does that and then some. He reminded me a lot of a dialled to eleven Sharlto Copley. That zany wildlife presenter, like Ben Fogle on cocaine. I liked it very much. All of the performances are top-notch.

Though one thing confused me; how they kept referring to it as a pig. I'm like "that is clearly just a hippo", lol.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]