Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Mummy (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

The Mummy (2017) 
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: The Mummy (2017)
Biggestgeekever wrote:
Now that I've had a drink...

-The relationship between Cruise and Wallis is as unconvincing as any central pairing I have seen in years. It's astounding how underdeveloped it is when the the entire emotional arc of the finale relies on it. "I wish we had more time" being uttered here made me retroactively like Wonder Woman more.

Yep. The movie should've opened (or after the opening with Ahmanet) with the scene of the two of them in the hotel room that's referenced, or maybe even a little before that. It might not have solved their chemistry issues, but it would've gone a long way. It also could've given the movie a little charm. Something!

He saves her life at the end because...he fucked her (Once? Are they in a relationship?).

Is it bad? No, but it just kind of sits there. It's completely forgettable. I'm kind of interested to see where the "Dark Universe" goes from here though. Just get a director who can inject some life into it.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Jmart wrote:
He saves her life at the end because...he fucked her (Once? Are they in a relationship?).

He saves her life because he is already cursed (essentially fucked). The position he is in means that it is simple to stab himself, gain powers over life and death, then save her, rather than not stab himself and try to battle against Set with just human powers. And the film constantly references him being actually a decent guy instead of just a thief. Him saving her was the realisation of that. Furthermore, beyond their banter over how long he lasted, Nick maintains a genuine affection over Jenny. He saved her life. Is he instinctively a hero or does he have deeper feelings for her?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It is not a particularly deeply felt or poignant hero's journey (Nick is a bit too much of a Tom Cruise Is So Athletic cipher), but I didn't find it super-hard to believe, either. Just...standard-issue.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:06 pm
now we know

David wrote:
It is not a particularly deeply felt or poignant hero's journey, but I didn't find it super-hard to believe, either. Just...standard-issue.

Yes, exactly. I felt a bit weird for explaining it, to be honest. Didn't think it needed it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

Algren wrote:
Jmart wrote:

He saves her life because he is already cursed (essentially fucked). The position he is in means that it is simple to stab himself, gain powers over life and death, then save her, rather than not stab himself and try to battle against Set with just human powers. And the film constantly references him being actually a decent guy instead of just a thief. Him saving her was the realisation of that. Furthermore, beyond their banter over how long he lasted, Nick maintains a genuine affection over Jenny. He saved her life. Is he instinctively a hero or does he have deeper feelings for her?

So he saves her on the plane because...?

There are two other scenes (that I can remember) where the audience is told he's a good guy (because the movie is lazy and doesn't actually show us). The scene in the bar where she says that he's a good guy and he undercuts it with a joke where he thought there was another parachute. That was a good line, but why does he save her? Cause he loves her? That's why I would've liked that scene in the hotel. They have a relationship, but was it a one night thing or something else? He's willing to sacrifice himself for her? Does he have a death wish? Does he have an instinct that Ahmanet is going to spare him?

Which leads to the scene towards the end. He saves her by saving himself. If he can't beat a monster, become a monster who can't be with her...for reasons. How compelling! That's not stale at all.

This is where the movie relies too heavily, as David mentioned, on Tom Cruise's good guy action persona. We know he's a good guy because Tom Cruise never plays bad guys, but that doesn't mean the film isn't lazy. It doesn't get a pass just because he's had a 35 year career. I just would've liked a little effort.

The second scene is the voiceover between her and Crowe at the end. It's almost as if the movie knows it's done a shit job on selling Nick and knows that it has to tack on some dumb voiceover.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile WWW

David wrote:
Just...standard-issue.

Done lazily.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Jmart wrote:
Algren wrote:
Jmart wrote:

So he saves her on the plane because...?

...he's a born hero that has feelings for her.

Jmart wrote:
Which leads to the scene towards the end. He saves her by saving himself. If he can't beat a monster, become a monster who can't be with her...for reasons. How compelling! That's not stale at all.

Nobody is claiming it is a creative masterpiece.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Holy shit! This got so many bad reviews.

It's better than Returns and Tomb of Dragons by leagues. So much hate. They're making it sound like it's RIPD or Stealth. It's simple fun from start to finish. I think it's getting way too much hate because it is suppose to start a franchise, and maybe that is the lesson to studios, don't announce it first. It's everything you would expect from a Mummy movie. It doesn't hit the heights, but it's certainly not the lows.

On the technical side you can see there is definitely a struggle what they were trying to do. I too am intrigued to see where they go with it. It's better than Dracula Untold, The Wolfman, and even Summers failed Van Helsing.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:47 pm
now we know

Thegun wrote:
I think it's getting way too much hate because it is suppose to start a franchise, and maybe that is the lesson to studios, don't announce it first.

Yes, I think it comes down to this. If it was just a standalone flick, people wouldn't be crushing it so severely.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its a decent movie and definitely doesn't deserve the paltry reviews its getting by critics. Tom Cruise and Sofia Boutella do great with their characters and it is a fast paced adventure. It promised nothing else and we surely get what we saw in previews. The problem is that its not great at technical level (looks cheaper than the original) its not great visually (unnecessarily dark during daytime, specially when mixed with graphics), poor script and absolutely no time for the love story to build. The bad outweighs good but its not an absolute disaster that the reviews are suggesting. It is a brainless fun action adventure that is propelled by the leads.

5/10

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:43 am
now we know

You'll probably see it six times then? :P

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:06 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

It's as bad and cheap as the poster is suggesting. I can't believe I've now seen back to back Cruise disapointments who has an almost perfect track record with me. There is just nothing exciting or fun happening in the movie for all of it's running time. And London being the main location was just a bad bad choice.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Riggs wrote:
I can't believe I've now seen back to back Cruise disapointments

Yes, this is sad. Hoping American Made can put him back on track.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:26 am
Profile WWW
now we know

stuffp, you can just fuck off now with your negativity. Go and join Libs.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:22 am
Profile WWW

How can you call it cheap with that plane scene. I understand that the trailers pretty much show the entire scene, but it doesn't take away that it is one of the most impressive and innovative action scenes of the year.

Speaking of the trailers. I'd like to go on record that one of the most awkward things was Tom Cruise screaming, and that scream is no where to be had in this movie. They must of redubbed it, or they stole it from Edge of Tomorrow and thought, hey that would be a good idea.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:20 am
Pure Phase

Cruise's micromanagement and perfectionism are coming under fire in a lot of articles: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... my-control

I mostly do not buy the idea Cruise "ruined" this by exerting so much control. Yes, there are points where *Mission: Impossible by Another Name* and, uh, *Actual Mummy Movie* rub against each other uncomfortably, and I do long for the days when Cruise gifted his charisma and energy to world-class directors (such as Paul Thomas Anderson, Michael Mann, and Steven Spielberg) versus journeymen or writers-turned-directors he can easily control...BUT I get the feeling this project's flaws run deeper. If Cruise overplayed his hand, it was because there was a lot of uncertain space to fill because Universal, creatively, was not sure how to lay out this Dark Universe they so badly want.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:23 am
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
stuffp, you can just fuck off now with your negativity. Go and join Libs.

Haha, I didn't even leave any comments yet.

But okay.

This is terrible. I've read a few sparse comments above about the film's bad state already and they all ring true. As a whole it's completely bad, perhaps you could single out some items like, good make-up, plane scene was cool, still has some star power, but when put together nothing of it works. The script feels like there's no script, dialogue doesn't add anything, poorly edited and despite a cast I'm fond of, they're not able to get the drab of the film. I was really hoping for it to be better, Cruise washing away the total mediocrity of Reacher 2, but he bottomed out to a whole other level with this. The Mummy is of the Terminator Genisys level, a once good concept turned into an utterly disappointing shit-fest. I liked the opening with Crowe, but it went very quickly downhill from there and while I remained hopeful for some spurts to make it interesting, they never came. I was pretty much hoping for every character to just die at some point in the film. Hated it.

F

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:02 am
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
It did annoy me how the film again and again refers to Set as the Egyptian god of death, which is almost certainly Anubis or Osiris. Set's real designations, such as god of chaos or god of storms, would sound just as hardcore in exposition.

I paid attention to this because I read it here, and it seems they do talk about the God of Death in referring to Set. However, in the scene before Crowe turns in to Hyde he specifically explains to Cruise that for Egyptians Set is also knows as the God of Chaos, and I think that the film mentioning Set in the same line as the God of Death is more an extension of that.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:15 am
Keeping it Light

Libs wrote:
Nothing made any sense
David wrote:
What's one part which confused you?
David wrote:
Obviously a lot of it is just fantasy-movie baloney, but saying none of it made sense feels glib to me.

For me the nothing made sense part relates to so many things, although for me it means more that nothing works instead of it not making sense.

- All the characters are very thinly written, it especially hurts the Cruise and Jenny dynamic.
- What's up with all the when is something real and when is something just in Cruise's mind happening. We only experience it from his perspective each time and it's edited very oddly.
- In general scenes feels haphazardly cut or jumped in too; the biggest one probably being Cruise, then in complete human form surviving the plan crash without a scratch. Probably the most ludicrous thing.
- Dr. Hyde is introduced, but with no back story whatsoever, it feels the only reason they let him transform was to give Cruise a brawl scene in the film.

And these are just some of them, it would be nice if this film could get buried like Ahmanet was imprisoned. The Mummy is such a blemish for everyone involved.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:33 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
- All the characters are very thinly written, it especially hurts the Cruise and Jenny dynamic.

Comments like this are so shallow. Dude, it's not awards season. It is a summer blockbuster. Why you would expect anything more than 2D characters is beyond me. And it's not like your favourite, Dominic Toretto, is a heartily written character (that goes for everyone in those films), yet you jizz over him whenever they release another crappy Fast flick.

stuffp wrote:
- In general scenes feels haphazardly cut or jumped in too; the biggest one probably being Cruise, then in complete human form surviving the plan crash without a scratch. Probably the most ludicrous thing.

Umm, are people just not paying attention to this film? Ahmanet cursed him so he could be the human replacement for Set. It doesn't take a genius to understand that she would protect her precious cargo during the place crash.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I see where stuffp is coming from but the reasoning for his issue was clearly explained in the movie. The plane jump scene could have been elaborated a bit more but I think that was done for budget cuts.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:20 am
now we know

If you are referring to the cut from the crash to the room where Cruise wakes up, that is not a new thing in movies. It happens all the time. It was a stylistic choice. Anyway...

The film was [probably] rushed. It feels like it came out just a few weeks after I heard about it. But I still don't think the fact that it was [probably] rushed hurt the final product too much.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:37 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

The reasoning for this issue / he's cursed...ok, sure...but, still...how does he survive a fricking plane crash without a scratch, but does become unconscious so they find him for dead. I'd really like to have had some more explanation for that...and while in mind, I didn't even frown upon this part because it's in the flow of the film, but looking back at it...I found it too stupid.

Algren wrote:
Why you would expect anything more than 2D characters is beyond me.

Because they seemed to really want to make us care and I didn't so I find that a flaw.

Algren wrote:
it's not like your favourite, Dominic Toretto, is a heartily written character (that goes for everyone in those films), yet you jizz over him whenever they release another crappy Fast flick.

Maybe it's just me, but a way better character than Nick Morton, this was seriously the most douchey I've ever seen Cruise on screen.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:21 am
now we know

I won't continue. There's no converting you. You already gave your grade and you're sticking to it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:00 am
Profile WWW

cruise has certainly been deuchier (this took two minutes on autocorrect so it's close enough)

It may have actually helped if he hit the heights of tropic thunder or color of money. The film bored that it has him, and yet he almost saves it.

Also why no Brenden Fraser, I mean I get the new franchise aspect but they like literally hit you over the head with it. They Could have shot a scene where the mummy and him are frozen in time. Him and Cruise bantering is an already better movie.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next