Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Scream 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 39 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 54

Scream 
College Boy Z

Post Scream

Quote:
Scream is a 1996 American horror film directed by Wes Craven from a screenplay by Kevin Williamson. It was released by Dimension Films. Filmed mostly in Santa Rosa, California, the film tells the story of the fictional town Woodsboro, California being terrorized by a masked killer who enjoys tormenting his victims with phone calls and movie references. The killer's main target is Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), a teenage girl whose mother, Maureen, fell victim to a brutal murder one year earlier. The film takes the form of a "whodunit" mystery, with many of her friends and townspeople being fellow targets and suspects.

Released in the United States on December 20, 1996 Scream was a box office success, grossing $173,046,663 internationally and received very positive reviews from critics as the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes awarded the film an 81% 'fresh' rating, based on 53 reviews.

Scream revitalized the slasher film genre in the late 1990s, similar to the impact Halloween (1978) had on late 1970s film, by using a standard concept with a tongue-in-cheek approach that combined straightforward scares with dialogue that satirized slasher film conventions. Following the film's success, two sequels were released in 1997 and 2000 respectively, and another sequel is scheduled for release April 15, 2011.

One of the best (if not the best) horror movies ever made. A+

Wed May 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Extraordinary

I actually really liked it. Great sense of timing. This is direction and editting at its finest. Horror has always had alot of loop holes and thin plot (don't run into the locked room idiot girl). So when someone can still makes you anxious and upset even when you know what's going to happen, they're doing a brilliant filming job. I was scared from the moment Barrymore put the popcorn on the over.

Scream also had a pretty fun plot with the characters parodying horror genre while still falling victim to it.

A

Wed May 18, 2005 4:05 pm
Sbil

The opening scene with Drew Barrymore is among the most frightening in horror film history, I think. From then on, the film fails to be terribly scary but has a fantastic sense of humor and inspired acting. Terrific. A-

Wed May 18, 2005 4:42 pm
Teenage Dream

They best horror film I have ever seen. Drew Barrymore's opening seen was scary and unforgettable. Great film. A+

Wed May 18, 2005 10:12 pm
Teh Mexican

pssf! this is not the best horror and its no where near it, but whatever

Well it is one of the best slasher films of course! back in the day it was kinda scary!

B+

Thu May 19, 2005 1:44 am
La Bella Vito

This is not the best horror movie of all time by any means, but it is very good. Much better than a lot of other wannabe horror films out there today. The pacing is great, and all of the actors are great. The opening scene was Drew Barrymore was amazing, and was so well done. Wes Craven is at his best here. I also really like the score, and the garage door scene is priceless.

A-

Thu May 19, 2005 1:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

9/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu May 19, 2005 5:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

10/10 (A+)

Fri May 20, 2005 7:42 pm
Profile YIM
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Its alright and vastly overated. I do not like movies that think that they are smarter than what they really are, heck I wont even classify it as a horror film but another teen slasher flick. I will give the movie one thing is it tries to deviate from the old hollywood horror formula but with no real scary villian, I think those sequels are very unneccessary. Nothing too groundbreaking and the characters are extremely annoying and full of themselves.
B-/C+ just to be generous

Fri May 20, 2005 7:47 pm
Horror Hound

My favourite film ever made. An absolute classic, that re-invented and updated horror single handidly.

Brilliant. A+

Tue May 31, 2005 11:03 am
Mod Team Leader

" I want you to go down to the McKenzies house and call the police. " Laurie Strode, from Halloween, Casey's dad, from Scream.

This is one of the most unique films that I have ever seen in my whole life. As I have said in my various reviews of horror flicks, I grew up loving horror movies. Everything from the great ones like Halloween, Nightmare 1 and the early Fridays, to even the stupid quicky flicks like The Prey or Sleepaway Camp. There is just something sinister yet fun about an unseen force that tries to kill you for no apparent reason except that you are on his turf. I think Kevin Williamson watched the same films as I did and similarly appreciated them. Because what he has done here is write a film that is an homage to all the great horror films of the last 25 years. He treats all of us fans to great memories of films of years past and he assumes that he has an intelligent audience. There are so many horror movie references here that even I don't quite get all of them, and believe me I have seen a lot of horror films. But not only is the script entertaining, funny and witty, the film is scary. Not as scary as some of the films that it tries to pay homage to, but that's okay. Because you will have so much fun trying to pick out references to your faves that the scare factor is just a bonus. One of the most brilliant parts in the movie is when Randy pauses Halloween and explains the rules of surviving a horror movie if you are a character in it. Not only is it funny, but it so honest and sharp that when you listen to what he says, you realize that he is so right. And that is one of the great pleasures of the film.

I admire a film like this. It is not afraid to take chances and it tries to give all of us former teens that made the genre so popular in the 80's, something to enjoy. I'm not saying that if you are under the age of 25 you cannot enjoy this, but believe me you can enjoy it a whole lot more if you are about 25-30. Because it is us who rented those films way back when. And to understand the references and the homages to films like Halloween ( 1978 ) the original Nightmare (84), the Friday's (80-84) you have to appreciate the films for what they are. And what they were and what they did was entertain and scare the hell out of us 15 and 16 year olds. And to remember that feeling by watching this film is reward enough to me. But then to have the film be so well done is an added bonus.

Wes Craven is the perfect director for this film. I wonder is Williamson ever pitched this to Cunningham or Miner or Carpenter before going to Craven? I guess I am glad that he didn't because I think Craven adds some nice touches to the film. The cast is also brilliant. We all know the major one's involved here but I want to call attention to Mathew Lilliard. His portrayal of Stu is so amazing. He honestly should of received a nomination for best supporting actor. He took his character and added his own twist to him. And because of his tiny idiosynchrasies, he adds so much to the film. A subtle use of the tongue, the facade of hurt just by one of his expressions, a triumphant thrust of the arms, his laugh. They are all forever imprinted in my head as a great character study.

This film started a whole genre on it's own, made a name for Lilliard and most everyone else involved, revitalized Craven's career, made Williamson a millionaire, made horror movies popular again and gave me hours of viewing enjoyment. Not just from this one and its sequel, but it made me go back and watch all the older films that I liked so much.

You should do the same. And try to rediscover what was so fun about horror movie from the 70's and 80's. I have figured it out on a personal level, but have you figured it out on your own level? That is what makes horror films so much fun. Because they mean something different to everyone. Actually that is what makes film in general so profound.

Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

The opening scene with Drew Barrymore is among the most frightening in horror film history, I think. From then on, the film fails to be terribly scary but has a fantastic sense of humor and inspired acting. Terrific. A-

I agree.

The opening to me was one of the best openings ever in any horror film. I remember thinking, wow when I saw it theatrically. That was an incredible setup. This is actually going to be a freaky and scary movie. I was rooting for Barrymore and took a hit when she was killed.

Then something happened. It turned into a WB event. Jokes here and insults there. Love issues. Lack of scares. Annoying characters. Irony. bla, bla. I know a lot of this was the point, but I just expected something totally different after the opening.

While I am able to enjoy the movie, I feel I would have enjoyed it worlds more if the film kept with the tone of the opening and provided better characters (such as Drew who was likable for me). Tatum and Gale were ok for me. But, Dewey, Sydney, and Randy were all a pain in my ass. I remember wanting to jump through the movie screen and start beating Randy's ass. It's like shut the f up already about your rules geek.

The opening of course to me was very well done. If the entire movie was like the opening, it would be very well one of my most favorite horror films ever made.

But, I will give the overall movie a B.

A+ for the opening. A shame it couldn't keep up.

The next 5 years that would follow of self irony horror flicks really just didn't do it for me.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

P.S. I can't believe this movie came out 9 years ago.

Now, that depressing to me.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

One of the few horror movies I've liked. A

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:11 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Easily the best slasher film of the 90's without a doubt. Inventive and completely original it never fails to entertain. There is not much that can be said to describe the sheer brilliance of the film, though sadly that does not carry well to the sequels. A-

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:35 am
Forum General

P.S. I can't believe this movie came out 9 years ago.

Now, that depressing to me.

It's not really depressing to me but it makes me feel old :wink:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I am a huge fan of horror movies and I love quite a couple of them, but after long deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Scream is probably my favorite of the bunch of them and that for so many different reasons. Wes Craven created his second horror masterpiece with this movie (after Nightmare on the Elm Street) and revived his career with it. I would not say that Scream reinvented the genre, but it certainly redefined it and had a major impact on horror films that lasts until today. It started a new wave of teen slashers which in hindsight was not necessarily a good thing, but still, its impact should not be underestimated. It is no surprise that the movie opened to just around $6 million, but amazing WoM and excellent legs carried it to over $100 million. Its screenplay should be nominated for an Oscar, but I guess only a horror films fan can fully understand the brilliance of it. The screenplay by Kevin Williamson is certainly the movie's strongest aspect, but Craven's masterful direction should not be forgotten either. The cast is good and the acting is surprisingly strong for a slasher flick, especially by Matthew Lillard and Skeet Ulrich who make great psycho killers.

Despite only seven on-screen deaths (inluding those of two killers), the movie is refreshingly violent, brutal and pretty nasty, unlike its sequels. The great twist is just the icing on the cake. I did not see it coming when I first saw it (the one, that there are two killers). The way the movie plays with usual horror film cliches and alludes to the horror films of the 70s and 80s is ingenius. A very strong effort that ended up as my all-time #1 horror flick. Even the rather okay-ish sequels and numerous spoofs could not tarnish its reputation.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Hugely overrated by some, hugely underrated by some. Scream is neither is the best horror film of all time or the worst horror film of all time as some people would have you believe. It's just plain ol' good. Craven's second best film (Nightmare On Elm Street is his masterpiece), it features some great direction, beautiful cinematography, shockingly good acting, and some truly brutal death scenes that will stick with you long after the credits roll. Kevin Williamson's script is good, but it's a tad bit too cute for it's own good. The dialogue ranges from good to "I have goosebumps from how bad that was". It's only bad when Williamson has his characters talk in a way that is so incredibly unrealistic and forced, a problem he would later carry on with Dawson's Creek. Still, the film is a lot of fun for anyone that loves 80's slasher films, and it's impact on the genre can not be ignored. B+

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:02 pm
Teenage Dream

THE SEQUEL'S BETTER!

*ducks out of harms way*

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:05 pm
You must have big rats

Oh, and before I forget...

THE SEQUEL'S BETTER!

*ducks out of harms way*

Ow..just wrote the review for it too :P

I wonder why THAT does not bring you in trouble on horror boards, hehe.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Rose McGowan trying to fit herself through a doggy door.... inspired. :hahaha:

Very fun slasher flick that pokes fun of the genre at the same time.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:08 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's the second best slasher film behind Halloween, but as everyone has mentioned, the reason why the film works so well is because it pokes fun and pays honor to the slasher genre.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

The ending in the kitchen with Courtney Cox is brilliant. I didn't see that coming upon my first viewing of the movie. I also didn't see the twist coming.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:53 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

I always thought it's a bit overrated. It's entertaining every now and then tough. B

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I need to watch this again, its time. One of the most brilliant horror movies ever. Almost perfect.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next