Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Scream 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 39 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 54

Scream 
You must have big rats

I need to watch this again, its time. One of the most brilliant horror movies ever. Almost perfect.

Yess! Then why the A-? It deserves a straight A!

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Jeff(S). wrote:
I need to watch this again, its time. One of the most brilliant horror movies ever. Almost perfect.

It deserves an A+ almost. ;)

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:16 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Jeff(S). wrote:

It deserves an A+ almost. ;)

I agree. Almost.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

One of the most entertaining and rewatchable horror films in recent memory. A The sequels aren't bad either. I'd give Scream 2 a B- and Scream 3 a B.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:04 am
You must have big rats

One of the most entertaining and rewatchable horror films in recent memory. A The sequels aren't bad either. I'd give Scream 2 a B- and Scream 3 a B.

Hehe, these are exactly the same grades as mine.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:06 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

One of the best spoofs ever. Most people never refer to it as a spoof because it is so violent, but I think it is absolutely suspenseful and some great deaths. Probably the best character in a horror movie, Randy Meeks. A all the way.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:02 pm
You must have big rats

One of the best spoofs ever. Most people never refer to it as a spoof because it is so violent, but I think it is absolutely suspenseful and some great deaths. Probably the best character in a horror movie, Randy Meeks. A all the way.

I would not say it's a spoof. Scary Movie is a spoof. This one does take itself seriously half of the time and it does have a coherent plotline. You could call it an intelligent parody or a satire maybe...

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

While I agree with you, there have been many spoofs with coherent storylines, for the most part Mel Brooks and the earlier Zucker production films.

I'm trying to sell my first film right now and it is a spoof. So its been my mission to learn all there is about them. And While Iagree, it does sound weird to classify it as a spoof. It is a mock of older slasher films, but in a brutal way. And while the story does seem very original, almost every scene is taken from another horror film, which I think is why it can be considered one.

One of my greatest finds was learning that there are many serious spoofs. (isnt that term contradictory)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:33 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I would not say it's a spoof. Scary Movie is a spoof. This one does take itself seriously half of the time and it does have a coherent plotline. You could call it an intelligent parody or a satire maybe...

I'd say satire's the word.

Scream is a funny, clever little thing.

Both sequels are bong water.

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:35 pm
You must have big rats

I guess we have different definitions of a spoof. Mel Brooks' films have been clear spoofs. This one also has the suspense and the tension and a great twist...it is ironic, yeah, it mocks the older films, but also pays tribute to them.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

And thats what I consider the best kind of spoof. That more or less pays homage, but if it can be considered funny, than you've hit a whole other level.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:39 pm
Draughty

I remember this movie also had exciting and effective TV ads. Great use of that song Drop Dead Gorgeous. That helped the legs some.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Saw it again last night, still think it's great. Not the best horror flick, but it is the best slasher and yes I also look at it as a spoof aswell and it is the best one. It's not a spoof to the extent of Scary Movie which is just ridiculously funny, but common, you cant tell me when you watch the movie you dont laugh at some of the scenes in the movie that intentionally try to make fun of horror films. Only reason some people dont look at it as a spoof is like I said because you got a movie like Scary Movie that is just over the top kind of spoof, this is more subtle but it is a spoof.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:14 pm
loyalfromlondon

One of the best horror comedies in recent memory. Satirizes slasher flicks while remaining an effective one itself. Good acting, for a horror film, a cool twist, and great use of music.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 02, 2006 5:37 pm
htm

Tense. Very, very effective thriller.

I agree with makeshift... the sequel is better :biggrin:

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:59 am
All Star Poster

This film had one of the craziest opening scenes, it scared the crap out of me the first time is saw it. It's Easily one of the best horror films of all time':shades:'

A

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:11 am
Cream of the Crop

barely watchable teenie slasher (its not a horror film, people) that is never scary and exciting. the fact that it wants to be clever and pretends to bend the rules of the subgenre annoys me the most. the way it references classics of the horror genre is hamfisted, so that a true connoisseur of the genre would roll his eyes. kevin williamson should stick the screenplay in his ass. scream is a movie that should be detested instead of celebrated, because it paved the way for the new wave of shitty teen slasher flicks. wes craven should stick to some real horror instead of doing scream again and again, with slight variations. here is what dario argento has to say about the lamentable state of the horror genre today: "Moreover many authors became lazy and their inspiration stopped. We can look at Carpenter, or Romero, or Raimi. Wes Craven makes "Scream" for adolescents, and he is the one who made "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and many other interesting films. He has let them go. Others simply stopped, like Tobe Hooper."

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:53 am
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

barely watchable teenie slasher (its not a horror film, people) that is never scary and exciting. the fact that it wants to be clever and pretends to bend the rules of the subgenre annoys me the most. the way it references classics of the horror genre is hamfisted, so that a true connoisseur of the genre would roll his eyes. kevin williamson should stick the screenplay in his ass. scream is a movie that should be detested instead of celebrated, because it paved the way for the new wave of shitty teen slasher flicks. wes craven should stick to some real horror instead of doing scream again and again, with slight variations. here is what dario argento has to say about the lamentable state of the horror genre today: "Moreover many authors became lazy and their inspiration stopped. We can look at Carpenter, or Romero, or Raimi. Wes Craven makes "Scream" for adolescents, and he is the one who made "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and many other interesting films. He has let them go. Others simply stopped, like Tobe Hooper."

Now here's someone with an extreme lack of knowledge and understanding of the genre, yet full of ungrounded biases.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Joseba B-Loki wrote:

Now here's someone with an extreme lack of knowledge and understanding of the genre, yet full of ungrounded biases.

i assume you are talking about yourself?

Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:26 am
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Joseba B-Loki wrote:

i assume you are talking about yourself?

No, you, Mr. Snob.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

It's a genre defining film and it is one one of teh most clever films around.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

The last person I'd turn to for an opinion on the current state of horror is Mr. The Card Player himself, Dario Argento. The man hasn't made a decent horror film in nearly twenty years.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:11 pm
Homo Dperious

Best spoof movie ever. Also the 2nd funniest movie ever IMO. I didn't take it as a horror movie whatsoever.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Profile ICQ
Cream of the Crop

well he detests "horror" flicks made for adolescents, and i share his opinion. and his recent movies, although a far cry from his early masterpieces, are still better than "cursed", wes cravens newest shitty teenie flick.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:20 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

And thats what I consider the best kind of spoof. That more or less pays homage, but if it can be considered funny, than you've hit a whole other level.

I completely agree. Plus, this is actually clever unlike 95% of spoofs. Plus, what I don't like about movies like Team America and Scary Movie is that they try to rip apart movies that do what they do best far better then the spoofs do (or could). That fact makes for better irony then any of the jokes in either of those movies IMO. Scream actually works as well as the horror movies it spoofs, even better I'd argue. Yet, it doesn't wish to tear them down. I find that much more admirable. I remember one of the Wayne brothers saying that they made Scary Movie because they don't think slasher flicks should exist. I would be less prone to disagree with someone who said that movies like White Chicks and Little Man shouldn't exist.

BTW, IMO Scary Movie (the original) is quite stupid. It takes a much smarter movie, doesn't get it, and inserts penis jokes. I think there was one somewhat clever joke in that movie, and you needed the DVD to read it.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:22 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next