Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Bad Moms 

Rate this film:
A 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Bad Moms 
Sbil

Post Re: Bad Moms
I love Jmart and completely respect his opinion, but the complaint about the lack of good male characters does seem a tad bit silly (strictly in my opinion). Women are treated like shit in the vast majority of mainstream comedies.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:28 am
Superman: The Movie

As for looking for good male characters (which I never said - thattaboy Chippy!) first and foremost I wanted funny. If the situations involving the men were funny, I wouldn't have cared (that scene in the bar still wouldn't have made any sense). If the women in the film were funny, I wouldn't have cared. But as I said, I didn't find the movie funny, unlike this year's Ghostbusters. That movie has the same "problem". It might actually overdo it a bit as Hemsworth unintentionally became the best part of the movie. But the four leads were still funny (though Hemsworth being the funniest part does speak to a a fault in that film...why we're both Wiig and McCarthy forced to play it so straight?) especially McKinnon. Hahn tries too hard, Bell is a non-presence, and Kunis doesn't get much to do.

I guess I wanted consistency, if anything (again laughs would've sufficed) with the male characters. As I mentioned before, Walton's character is barely above a babbling moron. He's emotionally inept, especially in the therapist's office. Yet in the very next scene right outside of the office, he suddenly becomes aware of what's happening? Nothing happens previously in the film that suggests he could make this leap. Should we assume he does because he's an adult? Yes. Does the movie earn that? No. They might as well have kept him as he is because it's not like they do anything with him (thankfully) after that scene.

Am I overthinking it a little? Probably. Would I have/be if I was laughing? Nope. And that is the film's biggest failure.

Which brings me to Libs's point. First, thank you. :) Second, I did bring up in my review that Hollywood has treated women unfairly for years. The goal should be to be smarter though, right? Or if not smart, funny? At least be funny? To the film's credit, it's worked for a lot of people. I just wasn't one of them. I wish I was because I'm glad to see it doing well.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jmart wrote:
But not one sympathetic man character?

you're right you never said anything like that my bad

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 pm
Superman: The Movie

I should've just stuck with good (as in dimensional, not a character trait) instead of sympathetic because that's what I meant. There doesn't have to be a sympathetic male in the film let alone any male.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The lack of male characters didn't bother me (though I agree David Walton's character was terribly written), but I honestly felt the movie was a little sexist towards women - I could definitely tell it was written by men during a lot of the dialogue exchanges (the "how do you do it all" kind of moments felt super forced).

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:53 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I thought the ending was pretty bad and random with them getting on that horrible woman's private jet. What.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am
now we know

This film would be a complete and utter bore without Kathryn Hahn, who is a breath of fresh air and utterly hilarious - every one of her lines landed with comic aplomb. The rest of the cast were taken from the Beige Star Academy of Tedium. Actresses like Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, Jada Pinkett Smith, Annie Mumolo, and Christina Applegate are so plain, ordinary, and annoying as they struggle to play stereotype and crack wise. The cancer of modern-day actresses. Apart from Hahn, the film is cliche, formulaic, obvious, badly written, unfunny, and unfinished. Gwendolyn doesn't get a satisfying comeuppance. And Kiki and her husband have a complete U-turn role reversal. The script needed ironing out before shooting. Instead, they just went very mainstream with antics over style and substance. The credits clips of the real mothers was pretty good, though.

Best bit: I laughed out loud when one mum at the PTA Election said "I confiscated my sons's weed and then I smoked the shit out of it!", and Carla screams "WHAT' YOUR NUMBER?!". Ha ha. Great stuff. She could have her own spin-off. Though, she probably works best as a supporting character.

C

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:24 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

This had some good laughs, but honestly I never found it that funny. Bridesmaids did this kind of stuff so much better even though it's still an enjoyable film. I'd have to agree with Algren that Katherine Hahn was the best thing about this movie, because she had all the funniest lines/scenes. It actually reminded me a lot of her role from Step Brothers where she pretty much stole that movie as well. I'd definitely watch a spinoff movie surrounding her character.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:25 am
Hold the door!

The beginning of the movie is lame. It eventually finds its footing and is really funny for most of the second two thirds. I loved the "I'm going to hit her where it counts. You're going to punch her in the vagina?" line. Lol. Though Kunis' characters arc was ridiculous. She did nothing wrong; everything she was blamed for was so contrived and it felt like the film was trying to have a forced somber moment. But I really thought this was enjoyable, if not as good as the near 5X multiple would suggest.

B+

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's fine mostly due to the cast, Bell the standout since I feel like slutty drink mom in Hahn is nothing new, although she has some good moments. Kunis should have been/should be a bigger star. It borrowing a college frat movie type of storyline with the PTA thing didn't seem necessary compared to more of an Office Space storyline of moms not giving an F, and tonally the mix of comedy and sentiment isn't ideal. The movie seemed a little cheap to me between the cinematography and stuff like just grabbing a random hot guy who can't act as the boyfriend, although I understand they were going for a "the male roles suck" thing. Wouldn't call this a classic.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2