Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 10 Cloverfield Lane 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

10 Cloverfield Lane 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post 10 Cloverfield Lane
10 Cloverfield Lane

Quote:
10 Cloverfield Lane is a 2016 American science fiction thriller film and the directorial debut of Dan Trachtenberg. The film was written by Josh Campbell, Matthew Stucken, and Damien Chazelle and stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Goodman and John Gallagher, Jr. The film started as a script titled The Cellar, but during production under Bad Robot Productions, it evolved to become a spiritual successor of the 2008 film Cloverfield. 10 Cloverfield Lane will be released on March 11, 2016 in DLP and IMAX.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:20 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: 10 Cloverfield Lane
Besides the last 10 or so minutes this was pretty damn good. Unfortunately that last part kind of bogs down the film as a whole. Still, the cast is terrific (Goodman... wow) and some scenes were pretty suspenseful.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:35 am
Extraordinary

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

I wasn't a big fan of this. I was excited to watch it but it was very confined and limited to any outside information as to what was going on. I wish there had been a clip when Emmett described what he saw so we could see it instead of having to imagine it. I'm not reading a book here. I did like the acting in general but the story just leaves too much unknown and I didn't like that. Lastly, I admit there were a couple times it got me with unexpected moments.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:44 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was absolutely fantastic and despite what they kept saying I felt it totally connected to the original Cloverfield. It felt like a direct sequel to me almost in the way that Aliens was to Alien - the main difference is it's just overall a different genre. Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) is an immediately iconic heroine who is unexpectedly intelligent for a film of this sort (continuing the J.J. Abrams streak of strong female characters). The acting is across the board great, particularly for a sympathetic and badass Winstead and a terrifying John Goodman, who delivers a virtuoso performance. The movie has some unexpectedly hilarious moments but is also basically nonstop tension, and the finale is awesome and crowd pleasing. A total blast. A

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:16 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also, loved the random Bradley Cooper vocal cameo :P

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:37 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

thompsoncory wrote:

Was that the boyfriend she was leaving?

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:14 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

nghtvsn wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

Was that the boyfriend she was leaving?

Yup.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:33 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I need to see this again this weekend. It's so good.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:21 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I need to think about it. It's very well-shot and acted, but the third act -- not so much the "outside" stuff, but the resolution with Howard -- felt rushed and from a different movie altogether.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:34 pm
Superman: The Movie

Goodman and Winstead carry the day and make it easily better than shitastrophe that was the first one. They're as good as you'd hoped they be.

Then the mystery box begins to open, which shouldn't come as a mystery if you've seen the first one. Let's just say the mystery is not this series strong suit.

But that bunker movie? I could've spent all day down there.

***½ (B+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

After a nearly fatal car crash, a woman (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) comes to in an underground compound. A survivalist named Howard (John Goodman, at once highly charismatic and guardedly menacing) has set her injured leg and claims to be her savior, insisting a nuclear or chemical event has decimated the world above, but she is dubious and suspects he may simply be holding her captive. 10 Cloverfield Lane's coy advertising coup of a title is an an elephant in the room: it indicates a connection (spiritual follow-up? quasi-sequel?) to the inventive and lucrative found-footage monster movie from eight years ago. The content here will at once fuel and disorganize the debate—I lean toward interpreting the brand as J. J. Abrams and Bad Robot's modern-day variation on The Twilight Zone—but there is no debating what a claustrophobic, humane, and well-crafted suspense film this is. In its own chamber-play-as-time-bomb way, 10 Cloverfield Lane is as fresh and involving as the forerunner/progenitor/"blood relation"/etc. it is both aligned with and so distinct from.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:12 am
why so serious?

10 Cloverfield Lane is an odd sort-of-sequel in that it works in large part because of how it distances itself from its predecessor. It should come as no surprise to viewers that the film was not written as a sequel to the 2008 found footage hit, and in that respect, it works as a taut psychological thriller. The film wrings an enormous amount of tension from the small but shrewdly-utilized setting and rock-solid performances from all three actors (especially Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who aces her biggest mainstream leading role to date). However, while conversation about the world outside is vague enough throughout most of the film that they don't detract from the tension in the central conflict, they end up lessening the impact of the third act. Winstead's final stand could be fraught with tension, but the fact that Cloverfield is in the title guarantees that we're going to see the world outside of the cellar, if only to connect the two films more directly. And once we do get there, it feels like a completely different, less enthralling movie. Nevertheless, there's so much done so well up until the last 15 minutes that the film is a very solid success.

B+

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:28 am
Sbil

A taut, claustrophobic and intense thriller that expertly builds tension and dread until a truly bonkers climax that pretty much goes for broke. A pulsating musical score and eerie sense of mystery really help establish the atmosphere here. John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead are both fantastic; Winstead's heroine is remarkably plucky and resourceful, and Goodman is good enough here to warrant award consideration. The whole connection to Cloverfield is...you know, it is what it is. I recommend going into this not knowing much about it, though. B+

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:50 am
Pure Phase

In a way, titling this Cloverfield undermines Abrams' love of secrecy. It tells us to expect the otherworldly and removes potential, "Is John Goodman just lying or insane?" ambiguity. Webslinger is right.

If one absorbs this as a direct sequel or "side-quel," he or she has to justify why the government's code name for their exploration of 'the area formerly known as Central Park' is the same as the name of the lonely Louisiana road where John Goodman's character lives...

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:04 am
Extraordinary

David wrote:
In a way, titling this Cloverfield undermines Abrams' love of secrecy. It tells us to expect the otherworldly and removes potential, "Is John Goodman just lying or insane?" ambiguity.

That ambiguity is gone 30 minutes in when Michelle sees the diseased woman outside the door.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:14 pm
loyalfromlondon

needed more john goodman

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:07 pm
Wallflower

The Dark Shape wrote:
David wrote:
In a way, titling this Cloverfield undermines Abrams' love of secrecy. It tells us to expect the otherworldly and removes potential, "Is John Goodman just lying or insane?" ambiguity.

That ambiguity is gone 30 minutes in when Michelle sees the diseased woman outside the door.

Sort of but not necessarily. That could have been someone he put up to doing that.

Anyway, awesome fucking movie. Really well done and unbearably intense at times. Great performances too. Kind of feel it would have been better and packed more of a surprising punch if it wasn't re-tooled as a Cloverfield sequel. It works well enough as one but could have been stronger as its own separate entity.

Still, this movie was so much fun. If we don't get another I will be VERY disappointed.

9/10 (A)

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:50 pm
Extraordinary

Magic Mike wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
David wrote:

Sort of but not necessarily. That could have been someone he put up to doing that.

...who was just waiting outside for days for the exact moment Michelle decided to grab Howard's keys and make a run for the door?

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:55 pm
Pure Phase

A fair enough point. Though the woman could be the victim of nuclear fallout or a viral disease. Cloverfield in the title confirms, "Just wait. There will be aliens and/or monsters."

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:04 pm
Extraordinary

I was shocked it was a full-on alien invasion. I took CLOVERFIELD in the title to just mean "weird shit's gonna go down."

My opinion of this could be skewed because the day after I saw the film the film I read the initial draft of the script, called THE CELLAR, and it played things closer to how you're describing (i.e., the person outside, did Howard set that up? Is this all fake?). I thought 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE was all around stronger story-wise than THE CELLAR was.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:58 pm
Wallflower

The Dark Shape wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
David wrote:

...who was just waiting outside for days for the exact moment Michelle decided to grab Howard's keys and make a run for the door?

Maybe they were watching stuff go down on cameras.

Saw it again last night. Still totally love it but it would have been better if they didn't try and make it a Cloverfield sequel. The more I think about it the more annoyed I am by that. If they'd kept everything the way it was but took out the two shots trying to connect it to that film (at least there's only two I noticed) it would have been even more amazing. The ending would have actually held some surprise then.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:50 pm
Grill

God damn I loved this movie.

A

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:51 pm
Forum General

It's a solid well crafted thriller with tremendous performances from Goodman/Winstead and a fantastic fucking score by Bear McCreary. The finale could have been stronger, but I liked that it had a somewhat Spielbergian feel and I dug the last shot. That pre-credits/opening sequence was pretty dope too.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:46 pm
Cream of the Crop

10 Cloverfield Lane is a solid little Twilight Zone episode. *A*

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:07 pm
The Kramer

Very creepy and intense. The ending is dumb. Yet I would have been disappointed if they hadn't done anything related to the first Cloverfield.

Goodman and Winstead are freakin aces.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next