Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Gods of Egypt 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Gods of Egypt 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Gods of Egypt
Gods of Egypt

Quote:
Gods of Egypt is a 2016 fantasy film featuring ancient Egyptian deities. The United States-Australia production is directed by Alex Proyas and stars Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Brenton Thwaites, Chadwick Boseman, Elodie Yung, Courtney Eaton, Rufus Sewell, Gerard Butler, and Geoffrey Rush. Butler plays the god of darkness Set who takes over the Egyptian empire, and Thwaites plays the mortal hero Bek who partners with the god Horus, played by Coster-Waldau, to save the world and rescue his love.

Filming took place in Australia under the American studio Summit Entertainment. While the film's production budget was $140 million, the parent company Lionsgate's financial exposure was less than $10 million due to tax incentives and pre-sales. The Australian government provided a tax credit for 46% of the film's budget. When Lionsgate began promoting the film in November 2015, it received backlash for its predominantly white cast playing Egyptian characters. In response, Lionsgate and director Alex Proyas apologized for the lack of casting diversity.

Lionsgate released Gods of Egypt in theaters globally starting on February 25, 2016 in 2D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D. It released the film in the United States, Canada, and 68 other markets on February 26, 2016 and will release it in the United Kingdom on April 8, 2016. Box office tracking estimates for the film to gross $15 million on its opening weekend in the United States.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:36 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Gods of Egypt
Gods of Egypt is so decadent, so imbecilic, so not of its time, so strange as to become a type of glorious folly. On the day of Horus' (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) coronation, his malevolent uncle Set (Gerard Butler) murders reigning king Osiris (Bryan Brown), steals the crown, and rips Horus' eyes from his head before exiling him. Set's tyrannical rule is later challenged by a jaded, reluctant Horus and a mortal thief (Brenton Thwaites) who retrieves one of the fallen god's baby blues. The thief's aim is to save his recently murdered girlfriend (astonishing beauty and Fury Road wife Courtney Eaton) from the afterlife. It is a shame director Alex Proyas' career is not in a healthier place two decades after the extremely promising one-two of The Crow and Dark City, but he remains a bold stylist. Every frame of this two-hour-plus film is a punishing and sumptuous blast to the face. The gold-hued, overwrought imagery—75 percent sword-and-sandal fantasy, 20 percent science fiction, 5 percent acid trip—includes a bejeweled Ra (Geoffrey Rush) battling a writhing rectal demon in space, she-assassins atop serpentine steeds, and decidedly Danish and Scottish Egyptian deities transforming into glowing ten-foot iron men. Even tiny details are hideous and wonderful: consider Osiris' inexplicable soul patch. The cumulative experience is numbing and beyond over-the-top, but there are several moments of true beauty and aesthetic fascination, for better or worse. And the dialogue is execrable, particularly the modern quips, and a certain secondhand shame is felt for the mostly talented and very attractive cast. A disaster? Maybe. But a jolly, absurdly embellished one.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:56 am
Pure Phase

Even though I can largely roll with the idea of "age" being relative in this absurdist supernatural context, it feels odd throughout the movie how Gerard Butler is positioned as Claudius/Scar to Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's Hamlet/Simba. Coster-Waldau and Butler are almost perfectly the same age.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:41 pm
Cream of the Crop

If I were to listen to professional critics, there must be something wrong with me, because I liked Gods of Egypt. It's an homage to vintage fantasy adventure movies such as Thief of Baghdad and She, in the same way that Indiana Jones and Star Wars were homages to old time movie serials. Unfortunately what worked in the 70's and 80's, no longer works with modern audiences. Just look at the reaction to Andrew Stanton's adaptation of John Carter of Mars. But beyond the questionable financial decision of making this movie today, it is an excellent fantasy adventure in it's own right done in a richly melodramatic style. If this movie was in fashion, it would be just as beloved and quoted as Indiana Jones. Alas, we live in an age of superhero overload and there is no room for the Gods of Egypt anymore, but it is certainly a fine movie in it's own right, born of a nostalgia for fantasy film of the past. *B+*

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:22 am
now we know

I've worked it out! tree and a half is Alex Proyas. ;)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:42 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

David's review nails it this time. Little to add there. It is certainly a disaster, but you can see that the director had a clear vision for each frame and it was not just a paycheck.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I went to see it again with a friend. Being raised on old school Ray Harryhausen action adventure fantasy movies, they loved it, describing it as an 'edge of your seat' experience. My own grade of *B+* stands, it's a fine movie. And though I'm well aware of his erratic taste and questionable writing skills, Harry Knowles was one of the few critics to write an unprejudiced review from the perspective of (apparently) one of the few remaining fans of this genre.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:12 am
Forum General

It was entertaining overall, but it's also a fucking mess. So many jarring wtf scenes after another which really messed up the flow. Visually it's very inconsistent aswell because there's just as much bad cgi as there is great. Courtney Eaton and Elodie Yung were the main eye candy for me. Both are complete babes in this.

Wed May 18, 2016 3:10 pm
Hold the door!

This film is entertaining only in that the entire thing is so simple, that the audience is essentially spoon fed the plot and does not need to pay attention too hard. Paying attention is where the film will disappoint big time. The entire production is flawed. The sets and visual effects look so cartoony and fake that you can't invest yourself in anything that is going on. The acting is terrible too, with the exception of NCW and Geoffrey Rush in a very small role as Ra. Brenton Thwaites is completely bland as he was in Maleficent and the Giver, as is his dead love interest and Hathor. Gerard Butler deserves a Razzie for his channeling of James Woods' Hades (literally the exact same character) in a performance that is mind blowingly campy in a way that makes you wonder whether he is really struggling to find work. The characters are not developed; we learn nothing about the m and none of them go through any change except maybe Horus. the plot and script are a collection of fantasy film cliches and unfunny one lines; ironically the film also mangaes to feel as though it is taking itself too seriously at points as well. Really, I didn't hate Gods of Egypt, but thinking about it makes me worry that this is the future of fantasy cinema. Not to mention all of the interesting real stories from Egyptian myth that could be told.

D

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:47 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Every scene is indeed made true to whatever vision Proyas wanted, but it also means whatever we saw/disliked in previews is amplified during the movie. The script ticks out all fantasy cliches but it fails to generate any interest in these characters or does anything new with the premise. I can understand die-hard fantasy and action fans liking this movie. Acting wise none of the actors seem to be trying except maybe Brenton Thwaites but his character is so dull and you never root for him. Rush in a very small role seems completely here for the paycheck. Butler is intolerable here, I am happy London has Fallen was made and released at the same time otherwise I would have thought he is heading to DTV roles. NCW and Elodie Yung (looking gorgeous) are badly used here and their love story is terribly written. Surprisingly Courtney Eaton does a good eye-candy job here but her screen time is very limited.

4/10

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:07 pm
Cream of the Crop

I predict that Gods of Egypt will be end up being one of the most underrated films of 2016.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:10 am
now we know

Let's get it out of the way; this film is crap. Though it's clear to see where they spent the budget. Every scene has CGI. It's a bright, jolly, macho rivalry fought out in God/human times in ancient Egypt. The CGI is decent, and some of the ideas are fine, but everything else is so crappy. The biggest problem was casting Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as the lead. He is such a non-star, such a lack of charisma and edge, like a poor man's Aaron Eckhart (and that's saying something!). I wanted him to fail. And then there's Geoffrey Rush and Bryan Brown. What the hell are they doing in this!? Besides Courtney Eaton, I didn't like anybody in the film (yes, because of her beauty/boobs), and the film has this safe, PG-type feel to it where if danger is present the characters are quipping instead of worrying.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Remembered that this wasn't well received, but I decided to catch on tv still. Pretty much as atrocious as advertised, the special effects are at best as good as videogames at the time and the story and dialogue are just numbing. Egyptian mythology can be interesting in essence, but this makes it dull and sleep inducing. It has one thing going for it though, cleavage.

D

Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]