Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Zoolander 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Zoolander 2 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Zoolander 2
Zoolander 2

Quote:
Zoolander 2 (also known as Zoolander No. 2 and 2oolander) is a 2016 American comedy film directed by Ben Stiller and written by John Hamburg, Justin Theroux, Stiller, and Nick Stoller. It is the sequel to the 2001 film Zoolander and stars Stiller, Owen Wilson, Will Ferrell, Penélope Cruz, and Kristen Wiig. Filming took place from April to July of 2015 in Rome, Italy. The film is scheduled to be released on February 12, 2016, by Paramount Pictures.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:12 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Zoolander 2
Brutal. Unfunny. Unpleasant. One of the more disappointing theater experiences in my life. I mean its not The Last Airbender, which holds the crown, but its way closer than I ever thought possible. :( :(

Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:53 am
The Kramer

Zoolander 1 was a grower. I believe I gave it a B+ back in 2001 and now it is my 2nd favorite comedy. I just can't see this getting much better though. There are some funny lines and gags that keep it from an F, but the majority of the humor comes from the "look at all the celebrities we got to act silly" vein.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:25 am
why so serious?

There's no way of sugarcoating it: Zoolander 2 is a brutal disappointment. I love the brilliant lunacy of the first film, and I enjoyed Stiller's Tropic Thunder even more, so I held out hope - even amid the unfunny trailers and the viciously negative reviews - that this sequel would still still be at least fleetingly enjoyable. Unfortunately, from the unfunny opening scene to the merciful end, it's almost depressing to watch nearly every single gag fall flat. It's not just a case of the film being unable to live up to the inspired comedy of its predecessor; it's simply just not funny. So much of the comedy is so limp that there are numerous occasions in which just about any viewer will be able to see exactly where the joke is going long before it gets to its punchline. Will Ferrell does his best to save the third act with his scenery-devouring return as Mugatu, but it's far too late to undo the damage. I'm a big fan of Ben Stiller's other directorial work, and I wanted so, so, so badly for this film to be at least somewhat amusing (even being on par with Anchorman 2 would have been acceptable); instead, it's a crushing letdown that proves once and for all that Zoolander 2 would have been better off as a hypothetical of what could have been.

D

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:19 pm
Pure Phase

Zoolander 2 is a dire, dire sequel to one of the most hilarious films of the last 20 years. It is almost hard to believe the extent to which co-producer, co-writer, director, and star Ben Stiller has miscalculated this belated second chapter of his fashion-industry lampoon, the unpleasant crux of which is the obsolesce of the title character and Owen Wilson's Hansel in a meaner, more imbecilic, more fast-paced modern world. Stiller and co. commit nearly every comedy-sequel sin, such as recycling previously strong gags almost beat for beat, and they deliver the uninspired result at maximum volume. Rare is so thinly imagined a film also this overwrought; it punishes in its desperation to please, to never slow down, to cover every base. It also leans heavily on celebrity cameos, which it believes are amusing in and of themselves. "Here is Sting. There is Willie Nelson. Here is Ariana Grande. There is Katy Perry. Dying of laughter yet? THESE PEOPLE ARE WELL-KNOWN!" More than once, the film even pauses to call attention to its cameo coups, lest anyone not recognize, say, Marc Jacobs or Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour. Only Will Ferrell, briefly reprising the elaborately haired role of fashion-designer-cum-Bond-antagonist Mugatu, lands a few comic punches. I wish I never saw this film, to be honest, because the first is a major point of nostalgia and sentimentality for me. This sequel cannot retroactively ruin its forebear, but it does turn Zoolander into a blemished brand rather than a standalone gem.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:48 pm
Pure Phase

A few more thoughts:

- A big part of the first film's charm, I believe, is the way Zoolander and Hansel are golden gods in their insular world despite the fact they are absolute fools. Turning them into "old" and "lame" fish out of water feels mean-spirited and unpleasant. The whole subplot with Hansel and his pregnant orgy? Total, total dead air.

- Does the opening faux newscast mean to evoke 9/11?

- Fred Armisen. *violent convulsions*

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:57 pm
You must have big rats

I haven't seen the first film in about a decade and having seen this makes me wonder? Was the first funny or was it actually as terrible as this?

Because oh my fucking God this was terrible. Awful. Intolerably cruel.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:43 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

David wrote:
The whole subplot with Hansel and his pregnant orgy? Total, total dead air.

Yeah, what the FUCK was that? And I guess he fucks goats and other animals too in his orgy. How hilarious.

Jack Bauer crying because he miscarried Owen Wilson's child felt like being raped with a barbed-wire-dildo.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Derek Jr. is also a very, very unpleasant character. The whole father/son dynamic never even remotely rings true or comes to life.

I am sure Benedict Cumberbatch regrets doing this, too.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:58 am
Extraordinary

Eh. I didn't hate all of it, I found some of it amusing but it certainly doesn't have the charm that the first one has. I do think this will be a movie that gets worse the more I think about it.

Many awkward moments and gags that don't work. The scene with all the fashion designers in cloaks is especially awkward.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:07 am
The Kramer

David wrote:
A few more thoughts:

- A big part of the first film's charm, I believe, is the way Zoolander and Hansel are golden gods in their insular world despite the fact they are absolute fools. Turning them into "old" and "lame" fish out of water feels mean-spirited and unpleasant. The whole subplot with Hansel and his pregnant orgy? Total, total dead air.

- Does the opening faux newscast mean to evoke 9/11?

- Fred Armisen. *violent convulsions*
Good point. It would have been funnier if they hadn't acknowledged their ages at all.

All could have been an interesting side character, as a villain or just a source of comedy. But beceause getting Benedict Cumberbatch to act silly is more important, the character never appears again.

Bringing Will Ferrell back earlier also would have helped with the story, but this is unsalvageable. I'm dropping it to an F. It's quality is even more unbeliavable than Deadpool's box office.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:49 pm
You must have big rats

It's my first F in a while as well. Dreadful experience.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:35 am
Profile WWW
now we know

From the trailers, the "la-mei" joke is the only one that even remotely lands. Everything else about the film looks shit. Even, surprisingly, Will Ferrell and Penelope Cruz (although she does look hot).

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Yes, Zoolander 2 is bad. And this is coming from a major fan of the original. I wonder how Ben Stiller went so wrong on this one, imho his record as a director has been impeccable. *D+*

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:07 am
now we know

Major fan. ha. Do you run the Zoolander worldwide fan club or something?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Iron Man

This was so bad and forgettable that I forgot I saw this last Friday. This thread just reminded me. It's just so lazy. And you can see everyone trying so hard to emulate the original's humor. I was surprised people were actually enjoying it around me. And I heard one person say during the credits: "Will Ferrel was in this?" Ha. I don't know what grade to give this.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:45 pm
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:
Major fan. ha. Do you run the Zoolander worldwide fan club or something?

Why yes, yes I do.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:55 am
Keeping it Light

One of the more ridiculous films I've seen in recent times. Doesn't mean it's bad, it has it's jokes, nice cast, Wiig is really great. But what was there to be expected really. I actually applaud the film for going so way out of it's way to take away any sense of realism. While Zoolander was very much a parody, Zoolander 2 is pushed way beyond that where it just seems to be mocking it self. Its finally product can appear terrible, but I think that depends on what you expect to be in for. I like the cast and the star studded cameos and it ends up as a not half bad comedy for me.

C

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:40 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I remember loathing the movie so bad I wanted my money back. Kristen Wigg was really good in it but other than this was worse than a mess.

1/10

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Not the worst thing I’ve seen but mediocre and pointless. The first half just doesn’t have enough jokes, plus I think it’s hard to buy Zoolander as a real person which the plot line requires, especially with all the other over the top stuff going on. I wonder how it would work if they made Hansel the one with the son plotline or have it revealed early on he was the real father, and Derek the one with the ridiculous Kiefer Sutherland orgy subplot. Everything after Ferrell shows up is pretty watchable.

Sat May 08, 2021 11:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]