Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 You've Got Mail 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18

You've Got Mail 
Sbil

Post You've Got Mail
You've Got Mail

Quote:
You've Got Mail is a 1998 American romantic comedy film directed by Nora Ephron, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. It was written by Nora and Delia Ephron based on the play Parfumerie by Miklós László. The film is about two letter-writing lovers who are completely unaware that their sweetheart is in fact the person with whom they share a certain degree of animosity. An adaptation of Parfumerie was previously made as The Shop Around the Corner, a 1940 film by Ernst Lubitsch and also a 1949 musical remake, In the Good Old Summertime by Robert Z. Leonard starring Judy Garland. You've Got Mail updates that concept with the use of e-mail. Influences from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice can also be seen in the relationship between Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly — a reference pointed out by these characters actually discussing Mr. Darcy and Miss Bennet in the film. Ephron insists that You've Got Mail was as much about the Upper West Side itself as the characters, highlighting the "small town community" feel that pervades the Upper West Side.

The name of the film is an example of product placement, based on the trademark greeting that AOL users hear when they receive new e-mail. About one year later, AOL and Time Warner (the entertainment conglomerate that owns Warner Bros. studios, which released this film) announced a corporate merger.

The film received significant media coverage leading up to its release in anticipation of the romantic coupling of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, who had appeared together previously in Joe Versus the Volcano (1990) and Sleepless in Seattle (1993).

Sat May 07, 2005 10:10 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I used to love this movie when I was younger, I haven't seen it in a while though. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan had great chemistry and it was a cute and well-told love story.

Sat May 07, 2005 11:18 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

It's much better than Sleepless In Seattle, but still not one of my favorite romantic comedies. I grade it a B.

Sun May 08, 2005 3:36 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Wonderful movie. I just makes me feel good when I see it. Funny and Romantic..

A

Sun May 08, 2005 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Mon May 09, 2005 1:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

Meg Ryan is one of my favorite actresses to watch

B+

Mon May 09, 2005 1:57 am
Forum General

A great movie that was better than SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon May 09, 2005 8:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I thought that Sleepless in Seattle was overrated :-$ , but I am looking forward to watching this tonight. I might have time for this and my next movie. I'm surprised that I've never seen this one yet.

Mon May 09, 2005 10:03 pm
Mod Team Leader

Dabney Coleman steals every scene he's in.

It's amazing really. At one time you used to think that you could fall in love with someone's voice and their personality perhaps over the phone. Beauty is only skin deep as they say. Now the internet comes along and it takes that theory a step further.

Tom Hanks is awesome, just as he always is. He really makes you laugh and he is flawless in his comedic timing. Ryan is cute just as she always is and by the time these two get together at the end, you are so starved for them to do so that you literally cheer when it happens. But the guy who makes the movie is Dabney Coleman. He may have all of 10 minutes screen time, but he makes your sides burst every time he is on the screen. This is a very funny, romantic film. I highly recommend it.

Tue May 10, 2005 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I hate it.

Me too. Even Shop around the Corner wasn't all that spectacular but it had a bit more of the sassy lady wit to it. This one was just horribly weak dialogue, no intrigue, and not even interesting. Their use of voiceovers when they were typing got stale, and I felt they had zero chemistry. I think the two of them were much better in Seattle, and now they were just going through the motions, were bored, and couldn't even muster up something to fool the audiance. Good thing they stopped pairing up for bad romcoms after this one. It wasn't offensive, so doesn't warrant a D, but it was awefully boring and redundant.

C-

Tue May 10, 2005 1:03 pm
Sbil

Tue May 10, 2005 6:18 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Hey, Mavvv....

8-[ Who me?

I will have my review up before The Amazing Race begins. Is that 8 or 9 tonight?

Tue May 10, 2005 6:24 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:
Hey, Mavvv....

8-[ Who me?

I will have my review up before The Amazing Race begins. Is that 8 or 9 tonight?

9-11.

Yep, two hours for the finale.

Tue May 10, 2005 6:28 pm
Award Winning Bastard

9-11.

Ok, I will have it up in plenty of time for you to read it or at least see that it's posted. :smile:

Tue May 10, 2005 6:33 pm
Award Winning Bastard

You've Got Mail gets high marks for casting Edith Bunker, and even higher marks for having her play the piano. I got a little misty. :cry: I'm very surprised that I never saw this movie, as the computer theme and internet relationships have been such a factor in my life. I remember not wanting to go because Sleepless in Seattle didn't exactly thrill me, and I couldn't be talked into it, but I would have thought that I would have watched it on video before last night, but I never did.

Tom Hanks, who is better in comedies than in dramas IMO, was great as Joe Fox, the multi-millionaire business man who eventually puts a small book store owned by Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) out of business, when he opens up his super store down the street from it. Both are involved in relationships, but have a secret friend online that they talk to, although neither knows that it's them. Joe eventually finds out, as the slightly nervous Kathleen agrees to meet him, but he stands her up when he finds out that she is the girl he's been chatting with, and he meets her instead as her enemy, the guy that put her out of business.

He keeps talking to her online, as they both have a connection, and as their own relationships dissolve, they realize that they are very attracted to the online personailty. Meanwhile, Joe decides to befriend Kathleen, and she reluctantly gives in, and they become closer, as she tells him all about her online friend. He sets a meeting up for Saturday at lunchtime with her as Joe, and a 4 O'Clock meeting as NY152 (his internet name), and during the Joe lunch "date", he lets her know that he's very interested in her, and not just as friends, but he lets her go to meet her online friend, and when she arrives, she finds out that Joe was her friend all along. Awww.... (in reality, he probably would have got kicked in the nuts, but it wouldn't have been as good that way)

I found it to be quite charming, and much more romantic than Sleepless in Seattle was. It is easy to understand how you can be attracted to somebody that you've never met, because personalities can really be a powerful thing in the way of attraction, even moreso than looks, and I think that they did a good job of bringing that point across, although the first thing he was asking his friend when he showed up to meet her, was "what does she look like". I think that even he knew that it was not what attracted him to want to meet her.

A-

Tue May 10, 2005 8:58 pm

This is one of those movies that I expected to dislike, its so stupid, and yet i like it. I was never a big fan od Meg Ryan, I disliked Sleepless in Seattle, but for someone I love this movie.

Hoenstly I think its the Preide and Prejudice and Godfather refernces, they weaken me and charm into liking this highly predictable movie.

I love it, it is a guilty pleasure.

Tue May 10, 2005 10:49 pm
Extraordinary

That's so odd. I found Sleepless to be a far better movie. Perhaps because in Mail I kept feeling like I was looking at the same scene because they spent so much time in front of their computers. The business part was never really addressed.

I didn't like any of them as much as When Harry met Sally, and some of the recnt romances like Something's Gotta Give, and As Good As It Gets (which isn't just a romance, but that's how I like them. I get bored when its just a romance and little more). This year though, I did like Fever Pitch alot actually.

Tue May 10, 2005 10:52 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I didn't quite love it as much as As Good as it Gets, which I love, and bought as soon as it came out, and I didn't love it as much as Something's Gotta Give, but I liked it tons better than When Harry Met Sally, which didn't really do anything for me.

Tue May 10, 2005 11:08 pm
Where will you be?

Libs wrote:
9-11.

Ok, I will have it up in plenty of time for you to read it or at least see that it's posted. :smile:

:worthy:

Sorry, there wasn't a smiley of someone getting whipped. ;)

Wed May 11, 2005 12:13 am
Award Winning Bastard

:worthy:

Sorry, there wasn't a smiley of someone getting whipped. ;)

haha...I was happy to get a review posted for her. (made it by 2 minutes) It was not a problem for me at all, and I'm glad that she and I have this little recommendation thing going, because I've enjoyed watching them and commenting on them very much, and I hope she has a lot more for me, because she really does have awesome taste in films, including the chick flicks.

Wed May 11, 2005 12:27 am
You must have big rats

Still waiting for Libs to recommend Mav a flick that he'll at least grade with a B- :-k

Wed May 11, 2005 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Still waiting for Libs to recommend Mav a flick that he'll at least grade with a B- :-k

He gave Never Been Kissed a C.

Wed May 11, 2005 9:52 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

He gave Never Been Kissed a C.

The only one thread that he has recently posted in, in this forum and I didn't check out #-o

By the way, Libs, have you ever seen Blue Car? If not, I think you might like it.

Wed May 11, 2005 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

[C+] Lacked the sincerity of Sleepless in Seattle and Meg Ryan was a little grating in this movie. Pretty visuals but a flimsy story which seemed to focus on its lack of clarity rather than actually paint us an involving romance.
I enjoyed it, ive seen it a few times and id watch it again. But its not a classic at all. Just fluff.

Fri May 13, 2005 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

The definition of fluffy enjoyable romcom. Good performances all around, and the references are nice chuckles.

Meg Ryan needs to call Hanks up to revive her career, I would like to see him do something lighthearted as the everyday joe again as well, so it'd be perfect for nostalgia factor.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next