Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Interstellar 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Interstellar 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Interstellar
Wut

Interstellar was not Oscar bait. Like... at all.

Into The Woods was so Oscar bait-y it's hilarious that it only got 3 noms.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:02 pm
now we know

They both weren't really. Interstellar is a sci-fi blockbuster and Into the Woods is too much of a Disney musical to really appeal to the Chicago/Les Miserables lovers at the Academy.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
They both weren't really. Interstellar is a sci-fi blockbuster and Into the Woods is too much of a Disney musical to really appeal to the Chicago/Les Miserables lovers at the Academy.

Interstellar wasn't made to win Oscars, but on paper it totally looked like it could if reviews were good.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:51 pm
now we know

It wasn't released in November by accident.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
It wasn't released in November by accident.

Nope.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:31 am
Ocarina of Time

Dear zwackerm

Are you pretending to say that between Interstellar and Into the Woods, the latter is a better movie and a more appealing film to win oscars? lol

#fuckcritics
#fucktheacademy

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 am
Hold the door!

Brian wrote:
Dear zwackerm

Are you pretending to say that between Interstellar and Into the Woods, the latter is a better movie and a more appealing film to win oscars? lol

#fuckcritics
#fucktheacademy

No. I said they were of equal quality according to critics, and audiences like Interstellar far more than they like Into the Woods. Into the Woods was definitely trying much harder for those nominations though. Interstellar getting nominated would have been icing on the cake.

I have not seen Interstellar, so I cannot say which I enjoy better.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:40 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Then why the hell are you even in here?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:01 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
I have not seen Interstellar, so I cannot say which I enjoy better.

:funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I was reading other people's reviews and I saw other people's Oscar comments.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

And offered a comparison to something you couldn't possibly compare. The films couldn't be anymore different.

Use whatever it is you call your head!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:26 pm
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:
And offered a comparison to something you couldn't possibly compare. The films couldn't be anymore different.

Use whatever it is you call your head!

I just said they were in the same camp of Best Picture nominees that weren't.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:55 pm
Site Owner

I loved so much about this movie, but its plot flaws really bug me. If your making a time travel film, don't fall prey to the bootstrap paradox. It invalidates the entire movie, sure you can explain it away with various complex scenarios, but at its core the movies plot is impossible.

And dont give me the time is a circle crap. A) no, its not and B) if it is then everything is predetermined and the movies pointless anyways. I dont want a pointless movie, I dont want a movie thats not possible, I expected more.

Otherwise, aces.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Eagle wrote:
the bootstrap paradox.

Predestination had the same issue, but it bugged me so much more with that film than with Interstellar because this film is rich in all other areas. The experience overcomes any issue regarding time travel, and actually urges you to delve deeper because of the enormity of the impact it has on you. With Predestination, I don't think I thought about the film much longer than it took me to exit the auditorium.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Fair enough, but this movie is so close to great, and this sends the house of cards crumbling.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:20 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Time IS a circle, yo.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:13 am
Site Owner

Fine, but then free will is a mirage and your life is predetermined.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:05 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well that's not necessarily true.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:09 pm
Site Owner

It would depend on how you define circular time. If you define it how Einstein did, then no, it wouldn't be true. If you define it how it would have to be defined so that all events in time are happening simultaneously to avoid the bootstrap paradox, then yes, it is.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I saw it again tonight on the big screen as part of Fathom's "Beyond the World of Interstellar". It's probably the last time I'll do one of these Fathom events. When I saw the ad it showed Chris Nolan in the spacecraft directing stuff. I thought it'd be interesting. More on that in a second.

First, I had to wait an extra 80 minutes because my theater downloaded the "World" incorrectly.

Second, "Beyond the World" and "Exclusive Behind the Scenes Footage" apparently mean footage from before the live performance of the score and film in London at the Royal Hall believe (none of which we get to see) between some physicist acting as host, Nolan, Kip Thorne, and Hans Zimmer. Thorne barely speaks, and Nolan and Zimmer don't offer too much more than something you'd hear on a DVD commentary. Next came an introduction to the film performed by Michael Caine, but for whatever reason he was microphoned up in the same way as the three were others were during the panel so you could had to strain yourself to hear what he was saying (he told a story about how he first met Nolan and read for Batman Begins). Add in his accent and he was almost incomprehensible. Then Nolan came out to talk about the film so more and he was mic'd in the same way Caine was. So throw in his accent and I barely understood a thing. I have no idea why Fathom thought this was usable.

Third. The film began! Same great experience. The film is fantastic and still my tops of last year. However, two of the other five people I was sitting in left. I'm not sure why, but I ran into the lady they were with as I was coming back from the bathroom and she was going and she said, "I must be kind of slow because I didn't expect to see the film.". Just what exactly did they think they were going to see? One left 15 minutes in, but the other left with about 40 minutes to go. Remember, they both wait an hour and twenty minutes EXTRA beforehand.

Fourth, the film ended and the other three left. I think they forgot they were watching an "experience" though because I thought there was some behind the scenes footage they were going to show after the movie. I was right and I was the only one left to see it. The problem though is that it wasn't behind the scenes of the film. It was behind the scenes of a rehearsal for the live performance that we don't see at the top of the film. The only thing worthwhile about the footage is that it was a live performance of the piece "No Time For Caution". As a music fan it was somewhat interesting to see, but I wanted to see behind the scenes stuff and got none of that. No Chris Nolan in a spacecraft directing. These weren't event great DVD extras.

On the bright side I got to see my favorite film on the big screen again and I got a free ticket because of the extra 80 minute wait. But if I knew what I was getting into beforehand I probably wouldn't have gone and just watched the Blu-ray. Fathom is pathetic.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This movie met my expectations in that I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it either. I've never been a big fan of Nolan; but of the movie he's mad ethat I have seen, this is my second favorite behind the Dark Knight, lightyears ahead of TDKR and Inception. The first hour and a half or so are straight out amazing, then once they find out they were lied to, the movie goes on and on and on and on and on. I really wanted it to be over with around the 2 hr mark. But the first hour and a half were so good, I can't dislike the movie.

B

Mon May 11, 2015 6:44 pm
Ocarina of Time

Of course you weren't gonna love it, it's not your type of movie, the plot might have resulted too complex for you. :roll:

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon May 11, 2015 10:29 pm
Hold the door!

Brian wrote:
Of course you weren't gonna love it, it's not your type of movie, the plot might have resulted too complex for you. :roll:

The plot wasn't complex at all. They needed to find a planet to live on after Earth became too polluted. Pretty simple. It just drug on too long. I did like it though. Just isn't gonna make my top 10 list.

Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 pm
Cream of the Crop

Tone deaf melodrama and a broken story structure all wrapped up in sciency coating. *D+*

Mon May 23, 2016 6:46 am
Cream of the Crop

From a poster on another forum:

'Christopher Nolan is the new M. Night Shyamalan; within a few years no one will admit having liked his films.'

Price wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Price wrote:
Why do I get the feeling that Dr.Lecter is the only voice of reason on this site when writing or expressing his opinion about a movie and the only one that tries to go with a blank slate and no prejudices. Granted, David also expresses himself well and tries to justify his opinion, but I feel he is still positively biased towards certain kind of movies, while Lecter is more level headed.

Why do I get the feeling you just don't want this movie to be very good? Which makes it especially funny when you complain about prejudices.

I always try to go into a movie with a blank slate, but I can't help the fact that certain filmmakers, like Nolan, almost always connect with my sensibilities.

1. If I didn't mention you or some other people is because you are not one of the 'usual reviewers'. Most of the reviews I see from you are for horror movies (which is fine with me as it's my fave genre) but the quantity of your reviews is still low compared to others. Btw, any ideas when Green Inferno is finally going to be released?

2. If I don't post reviews is
a) I'm a lazy bastard
b) I'm somewhat busy because of work but still try to see at least a movie a day. Therefore, right now I'm seeing movies that were released around June and no one cares about those any more. I also watch a lot of older stuff, which makes the backlog even bigger.
c) I'm fine with single word reviews, but have to laugh at things like: it's flawed, it's somewhat boring in parts , but it's Nolan (Kubrick, Argento, Rattner, Verhoeven, Boll, etc) so I give it an A+.

3. Pre-excitement is fine. I also look forward to movies of certain directors, but when it looks and smells like shit, you know, it's shit. I usually like Mamet as a writer and/or director, but Oleanna is one of the most boring pieces of cinema I have seen in my life. And the same movie would still be a big pile of poo if it was directed by Verhoeven, Nolan, Rob Cohen or some unknown or first time director.

4. I cannot comment on Interstellar myself, as I haven't seen it (at the rate I'm going I will probably see it in April), but I have enjoyed everything I have seen from Nolan so far (everything but Doodlebug), with Memento being my favorite and Insomnia the weakest as I thought it did not really bring anything new to the Skjoldbjærg original. So, why would I want it to fail?
I just like to make fun of blind fanboys.

Did you have a chance to see it yet?

Mon May 23, 2016 7:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next