Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Interstellar 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Interstellar 
The Kramer

Post Re: Interstellar
I liked the relationship between Cooper and Murph. The climax and her videos were the best parts of the movie.

But space has never been duller. Meh.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:05 pm
Pure Phase

Matthew McConaughey traverses galaxies to prove how much he does not love his son.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:03 am
The Kramer

Not only that, but the son is thrust into a barely developed symbolic representation of "we do it the old way or no way." So by the end he is in an antagonistic role just to provide yet another ticking clock for Murph and Topher "where did he come from" Grace.

And that is my main issue with the movie. Despite being told over and over that the human race has only a little time left, there's never any urgency in the film. I didn't even get amped up when they're spinning around trying to redock. Everything slogs around at a frigid pace, as if we're traveling from one galaxy to another the hard way (sans wormholes).

I'm really bummed out that I didn't love it. I've been looking forward to this movie for so long. It delivered on the heart, but not on the wonder.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:25 am
The Kramer

I was 99% sold before even entering the theater, and surely it wasn't that bad to take it all away? Well no, I just had to realize it was going to be a different movie than I thought. I really liked the beginning and ending, just not so much everything in between. My favorite middle part was after they escape the time lapse planet and Cooper is watching all of the videos he received. It did so much for the son's character, and then seeing that Murph finally did a video was an emotional whallop. That fight against time was the only one I was invested in. Because no matter how much they stressed that humanity's days were at an end, I never felt a sense of urgency for the human race. The movie moves so damn slowly that it is really difficult to. I think they knew that, thus the late game introductions of heel Matt Damon and newly heel Cooper's son, neither of which worked for me. And the wonders of the new galaxy were too dull to distract me from these even more distracting plot devices, which they usually are in these cases.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:00 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

David wrote:
Matthew McConaughey traverses galaxies to prove how much he does not love his son.

Pretty much. As I said, he completely forgets about his son half way through the movie.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:11 pm
Sbil

David wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who found this odd. Other than that one scene right after relatively kicks in because Anne Hathaway's highly problematic character fucks everything up for everyone, where he cries for 13 seconds at Casey Affleck's first video, it seems like he forgets he even has another kid most of the movie.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:02 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:23 pm
The Kramer

I don't think the science is a problem, but constantly explaining it is. We, the audience, are willing to just go with it. Explaining how time lapses and five dimensional tesseracts work in 150 characters or less just confuses the audience more.

The best part of the movie is when they say fuck the science, the explanation is that humans created this in the future. That gives them artistic liberty to finally reconcile the heart of the film and the mysteries of the cosmos.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:41 pm
Extraordinary

Chippy wrote:

I need to watch Blood again. Thanks

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Magnus wrote:
Coops son is indeed a mistake though. Casey Affleck is wasted.

Yup he should have studied hard to become a scientist or somebody rich because parents always love the child who is most successful in life. Instead he chose to become a farmer

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:07 pm
Superman: The Movie

El Maskado wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Coops son is indeed a mistake though. Casey Affleck is wasted.

Yup he should have studied hard to become a scientist or somebody rich because parents always love the child who is most successful in life. Instead he chose to become a farmer

Remember the scene at the school? I don't think he had a choice of becoming a farmer.

As for Coops son being a mistake, I don't think he is, but at worst is maybe an afterthought. I thought the scene where he's leaving and gives him a big hug was a passing of the torch that the son is now the man of the house (I think he even says it). He knew his son could take care of himself, therefor he's not as worried about him as he is Murph.

Also, I haven't seen anyone confirm this, but I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

The movie takes place in future New York, right? And something cataclysmic has happened to the nation's shores (Bye!)? They're are subtle clues throughout the beginning of the movie, with the biggest one being when they go to the baseball game and there's a sign that says, "The Home of the World Famous New York Yankees?" Indicating they've either decided to move the states inward or they've decided to grow crops in western New York state?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:14 pm
Profile WWW

Jmart wrote:

Remember the scene at the school? I don't think he had a choice of becoming a farmer.

The principle also said his grades were not high enough to become and engineer like Coop before he became a farmer later in his career

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:36 pm
Superman: The Movie

El Maskado wrote:
Jmart wrote:

The principle also said his grades were not high enough to become and engineer like Coop before he became a farmer later in his career

Yes, but it was also heavily implied that even if he had the grades he would've still been forced into a farmer role.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

I have one question. If the future humans created the worm hole for the MM and the crew to go through, how could there be future generations of humans if that worm hole wasn't there to begin with?

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:14 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Craig Robinson explains it best.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:56 am
Forum General

I've had some time to think about this movie and while I can't say I loved it the last hour and especially the last 20-25 minutes is fucking incredible. That shit alone make this the best movie of the year for me.

However, it does have some major problems that keep it from being a true masterpiece. For example outside MM you really don't give a shit about anyone else. I did start to warm up to Anne Hathaway's character as the movie progressed, but that's way towards the last half or so of the movie. Jessica Chastain and Casey Affleck have one or two good acting scenes, but overall I still didn't care for them as the adult children of Cooper and honestly the earth stuff in the second half just wasn't that compelling anyways.

Those were like my least favorite scenes in the movie, but I loved the space/wormhole stuff. I might not have gotten all the scientific shit, but I understood it enough and that's all that matters.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:11 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

This thread may be the worst of all time. The amount of idiocy and lunacy I just read is unbelievable.

This may be in my top 5 of favorite movies of all time.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:14 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Also, to whoever said they were on the new planet at the end? No. No they were not. Anne was. Did any of you even watch the movie? Jesus.

And you all put WAY too much stock into the "love" part of the movie. It was a very small part.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:17 am
loyalfromlondon

Chippy wrote:
This thread may be the worst of all time. The amount of idiocy and lunacy I just read is unbelievable.

tell me about it
Chippy wrote:

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

trixster wrote:
Chippy wrote:

tell me about it
Chippy wrote:

Because obviously only movies pre-2000 are good.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:45 pm
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
trix, what's your one word/statement review

inter-not-so-stellar

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:48 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Nolan finally made a movie that went over even trixster's head. Incredible.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:49 pm
loyalfromlondon

nolan finally made a movie dumb enough that chippy feels like he's grasped it. incredible.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:17 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Oh the things you don't know about me.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 pm
now we know

An utterly captivating experience brought to us by an innovator of ideas and the future of masterful film-making. The star of the film, Hans Zimmer, delivers a powerful and poignant score to accompany the magnitude of what's playing out in front of us. Matthew McConaughey deserves a second Oscar for his performance as a widower and father-of-two with an obsession for exploration in an unknown future time where food is running out and the human race is at risk.

Black holes, fourth dimensions, other worlds, future technologies (TARS) and even a surprise appearance by Matt Damon! Interstellar is a force of ideas and true cinematic escapism. I was engrossed for three straight hours, my arms folded, my hands clenched onto my arms, my eyes not leaving the beautifully presented IMAX screen in-front of me, and afterwards; absolutely deflated.

Interstellar is also emotionally strong. Cooper and Murph's bond never takes a backseat for the duration of the film. Brand and her father, too. But it's when Cooper sees his 80-something year old daughter that we're overcome with elation, and that is sensational film-making. And last, but by no means least, the cinematography is sublime. Hats off to you, Nolan. This time, you cracked it.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next