Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Quote:
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (released as The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro in some markets) is a 2014 American superhero film featuring the Marvel Comics character Spider-Man, directed by Marc Webb and released by Columbia Pictures. It serves as a sequel to the 2012 film The Amazing Spider-Man and was announced in 2011. The studio hired James Vanderbilt to write the screenplay and Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci to re-write it. Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan, Campbell Scott, Embeth Davidtz, Colm Feore, Paul Giamatti and Sally Field are set to star.

Development of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 began after the success of The Amazing Spider-Man. DeHaan, Giamatti, Jones, and Cooper were cast between December 2012 and February 2013. Filming took place in New York from February to June 2013. The film is scheduled to be released in 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D on May 2, 2014 in the United States.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
0/10

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:02 pm
We had our time together

Well, I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Garfield is pitch-perfect as Spider-Man and his chemistry with Emma Stone (who was gorgeous in this) is some of the best I've seen in a long time. Spidey swinging through the city was never more breathtaking than here. Foxx gave a solid villain, but was used less than I expected. Dane DeHall was good too but it's scary how much he resembles DiCaprio.
Spoiler: show
I remember reading somewhere that Gwen Stacy doesn't die in this, so I was pretty surprised when it actually happened. Her death scene was really well done.
I just had a really good time and it was probably funnier than the first four movies combined. I'm back on board. Bring on the next one.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Really good and it's on par with the first.

Emma Stone just steals the movie again. It's gonna be tough to replace her in the next film.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:58 pm
Teh Mexican

Way better than i expected.

Emma Stone :wub2: :wub2: ... I didnt know Shailene Woodley was cut from the movie, i was expecting an MJ Watson introduction but it obviously never happen.

B+

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 am
You must have big rats

A mess.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:09 am
Profile WWW
why so serious?

The Hollywood Reporter review already essentially spoiled the big twist, so...

However, it had been talked about when the film was in its planning stages (and it is one of the more iconic moments in the character's mythos), so I guess it's not going to come as a shock to viewers who have some recollection of the source material or the franchise rumors.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:50 am
We had our time together

I want to see it again.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

matatonio wrote:
Way better than i expected.

Emma Stone :wub2: :wub2: ... I didnt know Shailene Woodley was cut from the movie, i was expecting an MJ Watson introduction but it obviously never happen.

B+

Shailiene Woodley is following the jLaw steps. She lacks the charisma of JLawgend tho.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:14 pm
Cream of the Crop

Disappointing movie. It had few great moments but overall it not a good movie. Whoever wrote the script should never be hired again.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Just came from an earlier screening, while the plot is indeed stupid, I enjoyed it more than expected

Peter's parents story was useless and tiring at times, I guess the only good part was the DNA revelation,,,,,, but the secret underground laboratory??, lol, what a shit, lol

Besides Peter and Gwen, my favorite character was the Green Goblin in suit, despite of having little screentime and a dumb background and personification (the way Harry and Peter became/become best friends felt extremely forced and ridiculous, nobody in the audience seemed to have eaten that shit)

The reasons why Max/Electro hate Peter are too absurd, actually, everything around him is ridiculous.

Effects and battles were pretty good, though the constant use of slow-motion annoyed me; Spidey now looks less animated than previous films, OOOOhhhh, and the spiderman ringtone from the original cartoon theme is priceless

The death of Gwen was well done, imo, it was so emotional :( , and seeing Peter in the graveyard while the weather changes through the months was a cool idea,

Final scenes were good, except for the stupid boy dressed like spidey, that was a garbage idea and so pointless.

Very entertaining, but still disappointing

B/B-

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:02 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Seeing this tomorrow! So excited!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:03 am
Profile YIM
why so serious?

Brian wrote:
and seeing Peter in the graveyard while the weather changes through the months was a cool idea,

So now they're ripping off not only the original Spider-Man movies, but also one of the Twilight movies? :thumbsup:

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:52 pm
Ocarina of Time

Webslinger wrote:
Brian wrote:
and seeing Peter in the graveyard while the weather changes through the months was a cool idea,

So now they're ripping off not only the original Spider-Man movies, but also one of the Twilight movies? :thumbsup:

Those less than 2 minutes of that scene have more heart than the complete Shitlight saga

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Loved it. Almost as good as the first movie. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are just absolutely sensational together. I fell in love with them and their characters all over again - their relationship is so sweet and genuine and these scenes are easily the best part of the movie. Marc Webb shines the most as a director handling these moments. Dane DeHaan is also great and Jamie Foxx and Sally Field are both effective if a bit underused. There's a little too much going on and the script is kind of goofy, but I enjoyed it a ton. When the action sequences worked, they really worked (the Times Square scene is awesome) and the score is great.

Also, on the topic of the ending, I was dreading the moment Gwen died for about twenty minutes before it actually happened. And when it did I cried - I tried not to but I couldn't help myself. It was absolutely heartbreaking. Andrew Garfield was incredible in that scene. Damn them for getting me so invested in their relationship :P The funeral scene was also incredibly well-handled and I loved the flashback to her graduation speech.

If you didn't like Marc Webb's first installment I'm not sure if you'll feel differently about this one. But if you're a fan, like I was, then you'll certainly enjoy yourself. This version of the franchise really works because of Garfield and Stone though. They're perfect. I'm interested to see how future installments pan out. A-

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

thompsoncory wrote:
Almost as good as the first movie.

Oh god. It's that bad?

Thu May 01, 2014 3:40 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

/judgythedarkshape

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 01, 2014 10:37 am
Extraordinary

I'm not good at reading signs, Chip. Does this mean we're about to kiss?

Thu May 01, 2014 5:38 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I sure hope so.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 01, 2014 5:40 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I think the reviews are underrating it. Glad you liked it. I really do believe the Garfield/Stone performances and chemistry carry it though.

Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 am
Profile YIM
Superfreak

i thought this movie sucked. damn what a disappointer. way too much going on, pp is an asshole.

Fri May 02, 2014 12:54 am
Extraordinary

Oh boy.

First of all: Peter Parker is a jerk. With his blood being the key to his father's experiments, giving Harry some of it could've allowed Harry to balance the spider formula and actually cure himself.

Now then: this isn't a movie. There's no narrative at play. It's a bunch of scenes stitched together for 140 minutes. It's like five different writers took a stab at five different AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 screenplays and bits were chosen from each and glued together. What is Electro even doing here? He has no relevance to the plot. Norman dies in his 60s as Harry develops initial symptoms at 18 -- and yet Harry's health has gone to complete shit just before being injected with the serum?

Garfield and Stone are once again amazing together. Chemistry off the charts, and he really sells the ending. But during the "I Love You" bridge bit -- which the romantic in me totally swooned over -- I couldn't get out of my head that Peter never actually makes a choice. The whole conflict comes down to Gwen's safety in relationship to Spider-Man. Peter needs to make a choice: Gwen or Spidey. But he never does that. "I'll go to England with you, and I'll still be Spider-Man!" How does that deal with the problem that has been repeated ad nauseam for the past 120 minutes?

Good last 10-15 minutes (I'm going to ignore the fact that Harry's entire storyline is in place just to kill Gwen, as he's out of the picture literally the moment she's in place to die), but something of a train wreck beforehand.

Fri May 02, 2014 1:20 am
I heet the canadian!

It’s easy to bring up the multiple villains as where Spider-Man 3 went wrong, but that’s missing what really happened. The film’s main crux is more fundamental: it tries to weave together so many plots that it was bound to fail. Even if the execution was perfect, there is simply no way Spider-Man 3’s 25 different plot points could be reconciled into one coherent whole.

So it’s really regrettable that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 runs right into the same plight. In fact, it does something even more remarkable: go through huge amounts of plot and the meanwhile leaving enough resolved to feel like a cock tease. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least a dozen different plot points that begin and (for some) end within this movie two and a half hour runtime. Often times they are dropped for significant portions of time, only to pop up again seemingly at random. Worse yet, many of these are tonally different, some to such a degree they feel like they belong in entirely different films.

The biggest offender is probably anything revolving around Max Dillion. It’s something else that the filmmakers hired Jamie Foxx to be the most pathetic human being in New York City, with a bizarre comb-over, buck teeth, and pens flooding out of his pocket protector. He’s the kind of stereotypical nerd I don’t think I’ve seen in a film that’s come out in the last 5 years. The scene in his apartment is essentially Jim Carrey’s Edward Nigma turned all the way to eleven. His Electro is no better; from the 180 character development, to his uncomfortable “roars” and grunts, not to mention the power ranger costumes he sports near the film’s end, he’s straight out of Schumacher’s Batman. Foxx even gets a couple a puns in for good measure. (Special note needs to be given to Dr. Kafka, who shares all of his scenes with Electro, and manages to be the biggest cornball in the room)

Dane DeHaan manages to fair better… until his character also goes through 180 degree development. It’s no exaggeration to say that Harry Osborne goes through two and a half films worth of story here. It makes him impossible to empathize with, as does his hurry to use Spider-Man’s blood. A line about the disease acting more progressively in him was apparently too much to ask from Kurtzman and Orci.

The script even made me turn against the Parker/Stacy relationship, one of the highlights of the first film. Emma Stone tries her best with her copious amounts of charm to make things enjoyable, but seeing a ninety minute on-again-off-again relationship is never something I want to see. It’s also completely ridiculous how much
the film foreshadows her death. Her graduation speech early on is just the beginning. And her speech about her arrival at the final battle being “her choice” felt like such hackneyed, obtuse way to remove the blame from Peter Parker. Would it make sense for the next movie to deal with the ramifications of her death, and have Peter come to terms with that on his own? Yes it would. Maybe that’s why it doesn’t happen here.

All of this ignoring how little sense it even makes that Gwen dies the way she does. The movie shows in its second big action sequence that Spider-Man reflexes and webbing literally move faster than electricity.

It all wraps up with a tease of what’s to come. And none of what’s shown gives me any hope that it will be any more of an absolute mess than this was. Somehow that’s fitting.

D

Fri May 02, 2014 1:53 am
The Incredible Hulk

I'm thinking this will be the first "First Movie of the Summer" that I'll skip in theaters since Kingdom of Heaven.

Though I didn't see Wolverine till it's dollar theater run.

Fri May 02, 2014 4:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah... didn't like it. Liked the Gwen/Peter stuff mostly and Dane Dehaan but everything else, not so much.

Fri May 02, 2014 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next